***OKIES in the BYC III ***

They remind me of a bunch of kids being released onto a new playground!
I agree, they were exactly like children
D.gif

Quote:

So, roosters will 'collect' certain girls as theirs and another rooster will have his favorites, but either could lose them to a "Rooster come lately" if they like him better?

I just had this vision of a very debonaire Malay rooster with a deep spanish accent strutting his stuff with the new ladies and being all "Don Juan" with them
cool.png
LOL

He sounds fantastic!

Thank you for the prayers and encouragement this week. My son in law and daughter are part of a family whose faith and love for each other provided the strength to comfort each other and their friends. These same qualities will carry them thru the future as they deal with the loss of their father, husband and Papaw.

Betsy...sounds like you hen is a very lucky girl.

Kizmette...good news on Lord Dingwald.

Oh, and in other news... this morning I awoke to the sound of Lord Dingwald crowing from his tub at the foot of my bed! When I brought him in the other night his big beautiful comb was black all the way to just above the hase, but tonight only the tips are blue. He's missing some small patches of skin, a lot of feathers, and has some punctures, but it looks like there was nothing dire. I think he's ready to go back outside in the morning. I am SO thankful. Not that I don't appreciate his crowing...

Thank you guys for the concern and encouragement.

The same day as my bad, bad chicken day, I got some other news, some about me, some about my daughter, so I apologize for not being here for others who were in need.

Nana, I was thinking of you. I hope your family is finding some peace with their grief.
That's good to hear! Is he on antibiotics for the puncture wounds?

My feed store chicks are old enough for me to tell what they are. Looks like I have:

1 BB Red OEGB pullet chick
1 Porcelain OEGB pullet chick
1 white bantam cochin pullet
1white bantam cochin roo
1buff bantam cochin pullet
1buff bantam cochin roo
1mille d'uccle roo?
1blue bantam cochin roo
1 black bantam cochin pullet
1black bantam cochin roo
1 porcelain d'uccle pullet
1lavender d'uccle pullet
And 1 yellow chick with barring on its feathers

It's exciting watching them grow

So, roosters will 'collect' certain girls as theirs and another rooster will have his favorites, but either could lose them to a "Rooster come lately" if they like him better?

I just had this vision of a very debonaire Malay rooster with a deep spanish accent strutting his stuff with the new ladies and being all "Don Juan" with them
cool.png
LOL

He sounds fantastic!

Before stray dogs became a problem we let many birds free-range and yes the hens do pick their mates. A dominant rooster will usually end up with the dominant hens and they will actually be a small group but when they come in for feed or water all the other groups will stand aside while they are there. Chicken society is actually a complicated thing when they are running loose.

I love collective nouns. Those are words that describe groups of things. I just discovered "a fluffie of bunnies"
bun.gif

I'm pretty sure that i have "a nuisance of roosters"!

Have a great Friday everyone!

Cost is not a factor!
That's good, I have always liked the English.
Do you know of any breeders? :weee

You can sometimes get lucky and get them at auctions for little money.

lonnyandrinda in Coweta on here are breeding jubilee orpingtons. Tasha Maze in Jennings breeds orpingtons (I think lavender and jubilee and might be some other colors) but I don't know what the status of her flock is at this time.

I don't know of anyone else personally.

I don't know if those that breeding the English imports are part of a club or association that has a breeder list like the ameracauna folk do. I've seen orpington breeder groups on facebook. You might look into those.

Rinda, know of anyone in central okla breeding English Orps?

Last edited:
Not in Oklahoma, no. My jubilees come from a couple of sources, my favorite girls come from Jeff (PapaBrooder here). my boy comes from a lady from the Orpington Breeder facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/OrpingtonBreedersWorldwide/, her name is Debbie L Johnson and she lives in Arkansas. Her FB page is Morgan's Manor and she has lots of Orpington varieties and they are EXCELLENT quality. Not too far of a drive for good birds IMO. My two other hens came from the Coweta auction last month. Jeff's girls are far superior to the auction girls. I will try to get some pics to show comparision today. Here are some pictures from Jan or Feb of one of my girls from Jeff. She's even more impressive now. And the cockerel is a whopping 8 pounds! I don't have any started birds this year, just chicks and soon I will have eggs for sale, probably 2-3 weeks. I want one more batch through my incubator to confirm fertility as I just trimmed bum feathers last week to try and improve fertility. Last batch was about 50%.

Not in Oklahoma, no. My jubilees come from a couple of sources, my favorite girls come from Jeff (PapaBrooder here). my boy comes from a lady from the Orpington Breeder facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/OrpingtonBreedersWorldwide/, her name is Debbie L Johnson and she lives in Arkansas. Her FB page is Morgan's Manor and she has lots of Orpington varieties and they are EXCELLENT quality. Not too far of a drive for good birds IMO. My two other hens came from the Coweta auction last month. Jeff's girls are far superior to the auction girls. I will try to get some pics to show comparision today. Here are some pictures from Jan or Feb of one of my girls from Jeff. She's even more impressive now. And the cockerel is a whopping 8 pounds! I don't have any started birds this year, just chicks and soon I will have eggs for sale, probably 2-3 weeks. I want one more batch through my incubator to confirm fertility as I just trimmed bum feathers last week to try and improve fertility. Last batch was about 50%.

Beautiful birds, I especially like your rooster, Do you sell your chickens? I think they're just lovely.
I think i'll visit some auctions maybe..
I've looked into a few breeders, but i'm not too sure about getting shipped chicks, have you ever bought any?
I like Morgans Manor, very pretty chickens.

Last edited:
Before stray dogs became a problem we let many birds free-range and yes the hens do pick their mates. A dominant rooster will usually end up with the dominant hens and they will actually be a small group but when they come in for feed or water all the other groups will stand aside while they are there. Chicken society is actually a complicated thing when they are running loose.

Very, very interesting indeed! I cannot wait to hang out in my yard summer evenings with a glass of iced tea and observe their natural behavior! We'll only free range when we're home to monitor them and I'm sure we'll have a .22, or two, between us.

Back
Top Bottom