***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Thought I'd post a few pictures of the chicks and the garden
These are the chicks that finished hatch last night and some Deleware Bantams from four days ago. The Blue in the front is Beaus chick out of a Blue hen. Little Rosecomb and d'Anver too.

The garden is set and growing. Roger waters every day as a way to unwind and we covered plants with flowerpots last night.
cabbages, collards and cauliflower. The gourd pole houses the Purple Martins.

Front beds are tomatoes and garlic. The nectarine tree is a volunteer from fruit I had given the chickens several years ago. I was moved from the hen house to the garden as mulch. The last bed on the right in the second photo is a 20 x 20 bed and still needs to be cleaned out for okra, squash, pumpkin. it has panels for the blackberry and elderberry.

Romaine lettuces, Swiss chard and broccoli with a few onions....that the rabbit kept nibbling. Lettuces, peas and beets.

Red iris and an apple tree
Wow!
ep.gif
That is something else!

I have an EE, 2 rir, jersey giant, slw, cochin, polish, black aust, buff orp, 4 ducks, 2 african geese, and I'm getting toulouse and maybe buff geese. My friend and I are doing the chickens together.

The feed store was out of the food we usually get, had to get purina, the only one w/o added ca++ or medication. The stinky doos are organizing a hunger strike.
barnie.gif
Toddlers are toddlers no matter what the species!

These are the lemon orps and gold laced cochins that woman has eggs at $25/dozen.

Oh no. I want! My husband would probable divorce me. I have 60+ chicks in the garage... over a dozen due to hatch... yah. I have to hold off. Even though I would LOVE to have those colors in my yard!!!

True5 how do you pick just a couple to keep? That was my intention too but I am attached to them now. I desperately need to go through them and decide who I am going to sell but I am hoping with POOPS coming up I can make myself take some to swap or sell. It is just so had for me. Hopefully it will get easier
When you have 60+ chicks then it's not hard. I don't name them until I KNOW that they are a boy/girl and that they WILL be here to stay. Other wise I get attached. Although... when I had some Marans I had hatched and raised to a certain age it was really hard and heart tugging when I had to get rid of the boys at an auction. Now when I take them to sell or auction it's not so much an attachment thing. It's a will they be taken care of thing. I don't even want to think of where they are or if they were raised for a stew pot or not.

adults can, but bloody poop isn't a symptom, lethargy is, so i am just guessing- she started eating yesterday, so i am hoping to pull her through

i don't know if it does, but i sure need to downsize, and poops is a good place to do that- i will be bringing some bantam cochins- they'll be 4 months by then, and if i can look over the others and decide who goes- problem is they all have their stories, the older ones i'll keep, its hard to decide
Oh no. I don't want anymore chickens. What colors are the cochins? Oh gracious. I just hatched a batch of silkies and cochins. Bought some standard cochin chicks from a gal in Inola. Ohhhh no. I need to get some gone! Not bring some in! But do tell me what color they are. I love my cochins big and small!

My crochet chicken. I got the pattern online but added my own waddles and tail. It's designed to sit on a shelf (why the legs are silly).

@ Nanakat: LOVE your garden! I don't think ours has enough sun or something. It just isn't doing well. Oh well. It will keep the people at the farmers market with a little more cash in their pocket.
@ California posters, I have family in Temecula and Ramona. We use to live in Julian but moved here to Okie homa when I was 15 in '95. Why here I still try to figure out but I guess it worked out for the best. Still don't like the humidity and heat. Miss the ocean! I haven't been back in about 3 years. Small world!

As for POOPS, I'm not sure what to bring. I have some of my standard black cochin chicks I can bring if anyone wants one. They are in their funny getting feathers and doing away with fuzz all legs and neck stage. They should be fully feathered in a month. If not then I would question what is wrong with them lol.

Bok Bok, my Cochin was dust bathing so I tried to get a picture. Someone else was wanting some attention. I'll just let the visuals tell the story.
Big girl gettin' her spa on!!!

EDIT: That's the brat Orp that is a toast and bagel thief!

Last edited:
Okay, so I was recently diagnosed with severe neuropathy in my legs. I was headed down the steps of my porch earlier and couldn't feel my right foot, and didn't realize that I couldn't feel it until I heard the grinding noise at the same time the foot twisted out from under me and the world did this weird flippy thingy. So there I was, lying in a pile of leaves, swearing loudly, and my dog came over, laid down in front of me, and started whimpering. She's such a good dog. Then I felt something pulling at my hair and Checkers, my Barred Rock, came around the top of my head and started crooning at me. She stood right there talking to me and picking leaves out of my hair until I managed to push myself up.

No breaks, just a severe sprain. I never imagined my chickens could surprise me so much more than they already have. It seems like they amaze me more every day.

Back
Top Bottom