***OKIES in the BYC III ***

@greenbeetle i feed them all the gamebird feed and have oystershell on the side for the hens, they'd eat what they need. I feed my flock a higher protein layer feed, and they lay better on it- so i don't think you'd be hurting them

@NanaKat
can you explain how you tube feed him? I have  a silkie i may need to do that

Feed from a tube must be loose enough to go thru the end of a syringe and thru a catheter that is attached to the syringe. The catheter is slid down the esophagus into the crop. Measure the approximate distance from the mouth to the crop from the outside and mark the catheter for that length so that you don't go too far. Clear air from the syringe and catheter and Gently slide the tip of the catheter into the throat past the trachea...you DO NOT want to go into the airway.
There is a great thread on crop tubing complete with diagrams, photos and recipes here on NYC. I'll find it and post.
Here it is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

Last edited:
Looking at those feet...I don't think these are Gold Laced Cochin. No feathers on the toes.

You posted later that she was at least eating and drinking....good news....hope she continues to improve.

Agreed! and he looks like he will be a BIG boy!

Missed getting on yesterday...we worked heifers and took 6 to the vet for cow shots. then spent some time in the garden. Ate our first lettuce from the garden for dinner. Im going to start canning the asparagus tomorrow.

My beloved Columbian Wyandotte Beau was really active yesterday dancing for his girls in the pen but was lethargic this morning. He had gone to roost early last night so I didn't get a good look at him. I picked him up this morning and he has lost weight, but his crop was pendulous again and his breath was sour. His has lost some weight.
He had a few mites, so I bathed him, tube flushed his crop and started him on tube feedings. Pellets and conditioning feed ground to powder in the coffee grinder, then mixed with Pedialyte, ACV, hard boiled egg, olive oil, applesauce, honey, PolyViSol and yogurt in the small blender. Makes three feedings for one day.
I'm wanting to get the weight back on him so that's why I'm tubing him. This also insures he gets at least 30 ml of water and keeps the feedings to a manageable size to allow the crop to shrink back to normal. This happened last year too. No pellets or whole grain for a minimum of three weeks. Then begin giving him paste form food slowly adding chopped fruits with tiny seeds like tomatoes, strawberry, blackberry or blue berry. Finally adding back pellets to the food mix.
This cock bird has been at death's door four times in the past 5 years...he is like a cat with nine lives. I told him he can't leave me until I have a cockerel that looks just like him. And yes, Diana, we had that conversation in the bathroom sitting on the floor with him wrapped in a towel in my lap while I was blow drying him.

Eggs in the hatcher are due May 2 but already have two out and 4 more piped....one is Beau's eggs.
Fingers crossed for Beau's egg, and for Beau!
fl.gif

hey guys- do possums growl?? broody duck was under the porch, dog was going nuts, duck had run back to the run, and as i am standing there the dog is standing next to me and something growled from under the porch, only one egg was left and had pin point bites on the shell but it was hollow...real weird-

hey guys- do possums growl?? broody duck was under the porch, dog was going nuts, duck had run back to the run, and as i am standing there the dog is standing next to me and something growled from under the porch, only one egg was left and had pin point bites on the shell but it was hollow...real weird-

Yes they do! And so do raccoons, but usually raccoons will make a lot of other noises too.

For some reason all the dogs love that bed. Even the 90lb Rhodesian Ridgeback we dogsit will try to fit in it. @CayuseRanch sounds like you're right near me!
There are several of us out here, mj is north on Choctaw rd, Jarvis off 149th, muesky near thunderbird...who else am I missing? Nanakats not far either near mcloud.
Picture of my blue calf: I'll post the chicks once they dry a bit more. I have one egg left - silkie - that I can not see through at all. It is not dark colored. I really wonder if there is even an airsack in it. No sound, no pips. Any ideas? Its still in the bator just in case.
Possibly filled with bacteria and ready to explode. Any smell? If you plan to open and check development put in Ziploc first.
vampire? Scary

Robin, yes they growl! And they bare their needle teeth at you. Horrible scary animals! They're feet are more like hands and their finger/toe nails are real super long and skinny. We've caught several in the traps the past 6 months (my husband takes care of them after that), I hate them.
Still catching up with all the posts!
Dusti, the Faverolles boy and the Dark brahma boys are doing wonderful. Those 4 along with the 4 Barred Rocks (gifted to me by Poco!) are all about the same age so those 8 boys will have their own yard together once they get bigger. I already know the 3 Brahmas are slips because I screwed up & used the wrong caponizimg tool. But I'm 99% sure they'll all get along fine if i raise them together and their yard's big enough. I love my boys and they're all staying right here with me :)

these guys are needing forever homes, i am attempting to downsize some

pm me, i am more interested in rehoming than cash, just so i know they have a happy home and not in a pot or auction

also have some bantam cochin hens, will be getting pics, thanks ya'll, chicken math is really a problem here...

edited to add these girls:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom