***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hope everyone has a great time at POOPS Saturday. Unfortunately, we wont be able to attend. Hubby's lupus has been kicking his butt the past few weeks and he is not up for the long drive. Here is my project for today...and yesterday. Hubby talked me into getting 8 cases of ripe/overripe green house tomatoes at the OKC market when we went to his doctor appointment. Yesterday, we cut the veggies and today I made 4 and a half batches of soup starter. All 160 pounds of the tomatoes were skin slipped and cut to add to the veggies. Finished about an hour ago and ended up with 69 quarts....yummmmm. soup starter. To the tomatoes I add green pepper, poblamo pepper, banana pepper, jalepeno, onion, celery and garlic. Our girls like to cover a roast or pork loin in a slow cooker with a jar of the soup starter and let it cook all day. MIL likes to make goulash with a jar and cooked ground beef and cooked macaroni topped with cheese I run a few jars thru the blender and use it as a base in chili. And it makes a great soup starter...add meat and potatoes, greenbeans, etc. or add chicken and noodles and carrots, etc.
:( I'm bummed I won't be seeing you today. Wishing Roger well. Could I buy a jar or 2 of the soup starter when you have some pullets ready for me?

I woke up to 2 chicks this morning! And the cat who is very interested in the sounds coming from the incubator.
Grandson will be so excited when he wakes!
Its almost tempting to go and wake him up and end my "me time."
gig.gif

I hope POOPS turns out great. I wanted to go but silly me, set eggs to hatch today.

still trying to figure it out, the swelling is going down a little, have him on duramycin, skin isn't as inflamed- but he also is real thin. I wormed him with safeguard, long thin worms? hope that clears him out- he's a favorite of mine, a delaware and a real sweetheart

Cute chick! 
Can internal parasites cause skin problems in chickens?

i don't know, but i will be searching tonite to find out

Did you find anything?

Last edited:
Quote: i don't know, but i will be searching tonite to find out
Did you find anything?
no, nothing specific- but the swelling is reduced, he was ivomeced when i first isolated him, so i am wondering even not seeing mites if he was having a reaction to mites? can chickens be allergic to poison ivy?

WE got to POOPS early. Saw, wanted, bought. Would have stayed longer but wife was ready to leave. I know others showed up afterwards and sure all had a good time. Thanks for the new babies and the cabbage is frying as we (I type) speak. Look forward to coming next year and maybe have something to offer myself. Hope whoever got the pen enjoys and if you have any questions, just ask.

WE got to POOPS early.  Saw, wanted, bought.  Would have stayed longer but wife was ready to leave.  I know others showed up afterwards and sure all had a good time.  Thanks for the new babies and the cabbage is frying as we (I type) speak.  Look forward to coming next year and maybe have something to offer myself.  Hope whoever got the pen enjoys and if you have any questions, just ask.

The pen is gorgeous!!! I was so happy to win it

At POOPS we were so excited to get our new chickens that we ran off and left our chairs. If anyone was kind enough to load them up consider them yours. I just bought the green one on the way there. Glad to see a few familiar faces and meet some new ones. We had a great time.

Last edited:
Here is the first set of POOPS pics

Some fluffy butts

Several people brought plants to sell or trade

See in the far background the girls are petting rabbits, what do you think the chances are of their parents leaving w/o those bunnies???

There was produce to be had too.

Back
Top Bottom