***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Vanahjean your father in law and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kass, I believe that is my favorite design among all the quilt designs I've seen you post.

Now, everybody else is in trouble because I hold you all responsible for this! This is Harley and Buttercup; I picked them up at the aucton tonight for my granddaughter's birthday present. The problem isi couldn't get them sexed until after I bought them, and I may need to rehome poor Harley unless I can figure something out.

And it's all y'alls fault for showing all those cute bun pics! Now, just try to see these two without going d'awwwwwwwwwww.

oh, my how cute
love.gif
i love bunnies.

Last edited:
Quote:
I had a cow once, that I had halter trained and showed. She was a friend. But then she would not breed. Cows are too big to be kept as pets and sadly I had befriended one that couldn't do her job. Cried all the way to and from the place I dropped her off at. We did not eat her, but sold her to someone that sells longhorn beef. I did know, however, all the things that we talk about - good life up until the day.... I still (years later) am getting teary at this now. But folks don't buy trophy cows. We do our best to sell the show steers as pets to someone instead of into beef. But when we do sell them, we know what kind of life they get, and we know going into it that that will be their destiny. I guess didn't have that luxery of foreknowledge with the cow. I know of a breeder of Scottish highlander beef that had her brood animals right behind the house, and the beef animals in a pasture that she could not see. I brought home some cuckoo marans a number of years ago and my son (then 5 or 6) ask if they were beef chickens. He was never one to get too attached to the chickens though, not like Arlo.

LOL! SCHOOL STARTED TODAY! I love having my kids home in the summer, and I also love having my ME time when they are back in school. It is a little sad when summer ends but I do a lot of my projects while the kids are at school. When they aren't in school they usually play on the monster playground we bought off craigslist. They love it!

It's finished!!!!

Yay! I was going to use the milk crates as nest boxes but they are just way too big. I will throw something together that fits the space better.
Was this a sick pen? I am thinking that if they are sick, they will likely not be laying. When I have birds that were not so sick in kennels for some other reason, they just lay there - don't need a box. In fact, there is one girl that was in the kennel for a while - she is also one of the 'bad chicken' birds that come over the fence into the unprotected front yard. She has been coming back and hopping up onto the table to lay her eggs in the old kennel (although today the kennel is occupied...I wonder where she is going to go now).

Back to the pets and edibles.... I had a friend once that liked parrots as I did and actually babysat for my birds when I left for somewhere. I hooked her up with a breeder and she bought a conure from them. The conure became impossibly bonded to the wife (the friend) and extremely aggressive with the husband. Parrots do that often enough. Anyway, she felt that he (the bird) was so unhappy not being able to have his 'mate' (the friend) all to himself - she killed him. I asked why she didn't try to rehome him - the reply was that she didn't want it to just go and happen again. Sigh. The breeder was furious when she found out, don't blame her. I was furious too. Never spoke to 'the friend' again. Don't know if she was conflicted or not about it - it didn't seem like it...of course, I couldn't see past my own issues to really find out. In fact, never gave the possibility a second thought until now.
sad.png

Rebecca, I probably would have been appalled enough to do the same. I never understood the thought processes behind the "kill first" attitude, and it's doubtful that I ever will.

Just so y'all know - if anyone cares.... I go by a good many names - not all the same. To most, I am Kim. To many longhorn friends, it is Nik (usually my hubby's handle) and other times Rebecca. Just to minimize any confusion.
wink.png

LOL! SCHOOL STARTED TODAY! I love having my kids home in the summer, and I also love having my ME time when they are back in school. It is a little sad when summer ends but I do a lot of my projects while the kids are at school. When they aren't in school they usually play on the monster playground we bought off craigslist. They love it!

It's finished!!!!

Yay! I was going to use the milk crates as nest boxes but they are just way too big. I will throw something together that fits the space better.

Were you able to resolve the problem the neighbor had with the coons/possums lifting the roof up to get inside the hutch? There is a corrugated wood strip that fits under the tin roofs to fill gaps....
Depending on the size of the hens, I have used those plastic hospital wash pans and even the vegetable drawers from old refrigerators...both are easily washed and sterilized and are bug proof.

Last edited:
Just so y'all know - if anyone cares.... I go by a good many names - not all the same. To most, I am Kim. To many longhorn friends, it is Nik (usually my hubby's handle) and other times Rebecca. Just to minimize any confusion. ;)

It won't minimize mine. I have what I refer to as a swiss cheese memory; if I actually remember a name it's nothing short of a minor miracle.

Back
Top Bottom