***OKIES in the BYC III ***

@YardBirdMom fortunately for Romie the dog, I love her very much and this is the only bad thing she has ever done! She really is the best dog ever except for this!

Wow most of us would just die to have a building like that to work with!

I agree raising it up on a floor is NOT a good option.  Too much time and expense.  Personally for MY situation all the pens and what looks like raised brooders would be perfect- but if you just have a layer flock that's not going to work for you.

I think you could easily make this building work, but I have a few questions.  Seeing the green and puddles on the floor- you need to fix the drainage problems.  Either with a drain around the building or building up the floor.  Also check the roof, maybe in a rain like tonight go out and shine a flashlight around and identify if there are leaks.  Wet chickens = sick chickens.  It also increases the chance of frostbite in the winter.  And it will cause quality problems with your feed.  Last major problem- you are going to have to stay very on top of rodent problems.  Keep traps set, keep the feed covered at night or at least in hanging feeders.  This is true in most chicken coops but especially one with a dirt floor.  I have a few coops with dirt floors.  I prefer a raised floor but it works.

This coop is awesome! The condition of the dirt floor makes me real leery. I'll probably build a portable coop and use some of the material from this one

Thank you to everybody for your kind condolences. I know many of you understand. We go through losses, but there's always that one that is beyond special.

Coral, Bumpers will always be with me more than spiritually thanks to you. She rides everywhere with me in the car. I won't be taking that pendant down fom my rear view mirror any time soon.

Mrs Dickey, be prepared to have problems with your tailbone for a long time to come. Once broken, those things never heal right.

Yesterday I found my Bumpers in one of the nest boxes. She never fully recovered from her last illness, and I think all the rain was just too hard on her.

So sorry to hear about Bumpers.

I think you could easily make this building work, but I have a few questions.  Seeing the green and puddles on the floor- you need to fix the drainage problems.  Either with a drain around the building or building up the floor.  Also check the roof, maybe in a rain like tonight go out and shine a flashlight around and identify if there are leaks.  Wet chickens = sick chickens.  It also increases the chance of frostbite in the winter.  And it will cause quality problems with your feed.  Last major problem- you are going to have to stay very on top of rodent problems.  Keep traps set, keep the feed covered at night or at least in hanging feeders.  This is true in most chicken coops but especially one with a dirt floor.  I have a few coops with dirt floors.  I prefer a raised floor but it works.

This coop is awesome! The condition of the dirt floor makes me real leery. I'll probably build a portable coop and use some of the material from this one

I have a dirt floor in my barn coop. I use the deep litter system for winter and remove several wheelbarrows of compost for the garden each year. Adding Ag lime helps with the ammonia smell should it become a problem.

i noticed my other calico chocin has bubbles under her eye and it is swollen around it will tetracycline work for respiratory illness or do i need something else.

So sorry! You remember the Brahma roo I bought last year from you? Hubby shut the chickens up about a month or so ago and somehow "Bill" & 2 hens didn't make it in. Found him & a hen in our water trough. We were devastated, honestly, I was furious with myself for not closing them up.
sorry for you loss too.

My husband usually opens the coops in the morning before he leaves for work. Well, today he noticed a hawk waiting near our coop so he left them for me to let out later. Which is not a big deal, most days. However, today was different. With all this rain my porch steps are SLICK! My foot barely touched the top step and down I went. Bounced like a bouncy ball on my butt until I hit the ground. I knew something was wrong immediately. I was in the phone with my husband talking to him about letting the birds out when it happened so he hurried home and made me go to the er. The did x-rays then a cat scan. Turns out I broke my sacrum (bone that connects the spine to the tail bone.) Still managed to get up and let the birds out though.

Holy smoke! I'll say a prayer for a quick recovery. You've got your hands full with such tiny tots!

@ChickenChump .... I think they're salvageable, but as suggested, leaks are an issue. I wonder if building a floor elsewhere and using parts from the existing buildings to form a new coop might not be a viable option?

From the photos it appears they've been sitting for quite a while, weren't well cared for, and had drainage issues when they were in use.

I know I wasn't very helpful, but food for thought perhaps.

@YardBirdMom fortunately for Romie the dog, I love her very much and this is the only bad thing she has ever done! She really is the best dog ever except for this!

Well, at least you know what she'll do & can take measures to keep her away from them. I wish you luck.

In case you want to try this:

I broke my Dobie from going after chickens by shooting her with a BB gun every time she looked their way.

This was in the mid 80's. Today I'm sure some would consider that animal cruelty, but no more cruel then the dog tearing apart the chicken.

Thanks for all the well wishes! Today I am sore but the meds help the pain. The kids sure don't let me rest for long! :) I've heard from several people that it will always hurt.. not looking forward to that

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom