***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Muesky and I went to the Coweta auction last night. Enjoyed a great visit with Pollo and guess who else?else

So we were thinking about buying a particular breed from a breeder here in Oklahoma. For this breed is important that the bloodline is true and not mixed. I have been in contact with other breeders out of state, but i would have to pay costly shipping fees. So before committing to the breeder here in Oklahoma (with a slightly higher per bird price than the other breeders), i asked where he obtained the bloodlines. I asked the other breeders, and they didn't hesitate to tell me where they got their bloodlines; but the one here in Oklahoma said he can't disclose that information.
So my question is, why would a (reputable?) breeder not disclose where they obtained their bloodlines for a particular (and desirable by many) breed? Would you buy from this breeder, why or why not? Or does it depend on certain circumstances?

For what breed are you looking? There may be other breeders here in Oklahoma.
I know of one commercial hatchery that can/t or won't tell me his source one one particular rare breed that I raise. So I sure don't buy from them.

I agree with Oldcampcook. I would pass on the Oklahoma breeder who "can't disclose that information" about where he obtained the bloodline for the breed you seek. Either he really doesn't know the source of the bloodline or is perhaps a breeder that has purchased his stock from a hatchery that won't disclose the bloodline.
In either case, if knowing the source is important to your breeding plans, pay the shipping on a known source.

I agree w/ Nanak and campcook, would pass on the secret bloodline. I can't think of a legit reason not to disclose blood lines, most breeders of all kinds are proud of blood lines and will tell you even if you don't ask.

Still fairly new to the breeding game also. Would agree that not wanting to disclose breeding lines should warrant a red flag. Would definitely stay away from that breeder.

It s sure chilly outside!
Just finished closing up the coops and collecting eggs for the last time. So far there were 29 eggs and I missed two outside pens because it was already dark. Will get those first thing in the morning. The quail and pheasant have been laying pretty heavy too.
Once the temps hold above the mid 40s, I'll start saving eggs to begin hatching.
This year the goals for the Columbian Wyandotte will include more consistent color. The type, leg color, wing set, combs and size are holding well. The old breeding comment about "build the barn before you paint" is such good advice for getting the characteristics of the breed set before focusing on the color characteristics. The color has been good over the years, but now the contrast can be a focus along with selecting for better lacing on the necks and tails.

Back
Top Bottom