***OKIES in the BYC III ***

A bob cat got into my turkey pen in broad daylight. They're let out and put up before sundown in a very solid coop which hadn't been breached. The carcass (my oldest and largest gobbler) was partly eaten and covered with small sticks and leaves.

A bob cat got into my turkey pen in broad daylight. They're let out and put up before sundown in a very solid coop which hadn't been breached. The carcass (my oldest and largest gobbler) was partly eaten and covered with small sticks and leaves.

Sorry to hear that. Are you going to set a trap for it?

Coral, seems like those CX girls haven't got the memo that they are suppose to be fat, lazy pooping machines. They are always running around foraging w/ their peers, and today I caught one of them on top of the rabbitat, about 3 foot tall.

Coral, seems like those CX girls haven't got the memo that they are suppose to be fat, lazy pooping machines. They are always running around foraging w/ their peers, and today I caught one of them on top of the rabbitat, about 3 foot tall.
It must be the athletic company they are keeping. Mine are feathered lumps. They waddle to the feed dish, eat, and then sit down and go to sleep.

Wet bulbs/dry bulbs is how humidity was measured in the age of the dinosaur.  Your dry bulb would measure the airtemperature (i.e. 99.5 def F).  You wet bulb would have a cloth rag on it that would have the end dipped in water to keep it wet.  The evaporation would cool the dry bulb so it might be something like 87 deg.  You then would have to look up the atmospheric pressure and run equations to calculate your humidity.  No that is not easier.  The humidity gages from the reptile section of the pet store are much easier.    

Your incubator is fine.  We hatched 100's of chicks in ours.  It fits a good amount of eggs and holds humidity and temperature.  Once I got an incubator with an automatic egg turner hatches were a breeze.  Hatch rates didn't go up, but it it sure beat having to be home during the whole hatch to turn eggs by hand three times a day.  We have had the hens do the hatching for us too, but had better success in the round metal incubator.  

​I'm not familiar with wet/dry bulbs. Where could I get it, and would it work better for this incubator? I like my hens to do the hatching for me, but don't have the time, material and $$$ at the same time to build separate broody pens. I've had 3 hens that hatched out baby's that haven't made it this year. I may kick the not quite grown bantams out and put my broodys in there.

Check out Hatching 411 on Facebook. Lots of info on using wet and dry bulb in an incubator...use calibrated meat thermometers in your styrofoam incubators.

It must be the athletic company they are keeping. Mine are feathered lumps. They waddle to the feed dish, eat, and then sit down and go to sleep.

Must be, that biggest chick of the 4 has surprised me the most I really thought she wouldn't be very active. I may very well be trading size though for my girls activity, but if it gets me to laying age it is a trade I'm happy to make. Even if they don't get to full humongus CX size as long as they are bigger then my current nakeds I'm moving in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom