***OKIES in the BYC III ***

So, 3 of my girls started laying again, but they aren't using the nest boxes. My hubs thinks they're looking for a place to hide a nest, which is entirely probable. I found one in a far corner underneath the coop which is wrapped with hardware cloth on 3 sides, so not easy to get to. Smart girl! Looks like I might need to grab some fake eggs next time I go to TS and see if that will change their minds. Under the coop is one of their favorite spots to hang out and hide from the sun and my husband's lawn equipment, so I don't want to block it off unless there's no other way.

Last edited:
So I've added to the flock. My fiancee has not been totally on board with my new found passion for chickens, but today at Atwoods she finally got the poultry bug. Only by way of ducks. We now have 6 baby ducks and no real clue on how to care for a duck. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. But on a side note. She's excited about baby birds for a change.

Hello! I'm very new on here so if I am mistaken on where to post this, then I am very sorry!
So my family is going to move to a few acres soon (we live in Oklahoma) and we have no experience in owning chickens or goats (animals we are getting), so I was wondering what the best chicken would be? I know our seasons can be out of wack so I'm wondering what breed would be best for our kind of area. Same for goats! Also, what would the pricing be for the animals them self and care for a year. How many and what age should they be? Also any ideas on small goat barns or chicken coops that are inexpensive would be very helpful! Again we are extremely new at this so any tips or ideas is highly appreciated!
Thanks,
Hannah H.

Not Mistaken to be here. Hope you enjoy this site, the chickens and goats. All I suggest is not to get Cornish X rock. Or any Cornish from TSC, Atwood etc... I love Cornish and own Dark and Spangled Cornish BUT the fast growers from the feed store are not beginner chickens and do not grow well to laying age without some previous experience. (Several on here keep them I know and don't want to here it.) Most anything common like Matt said is a great starter and wouldn't be common if they didn't lay.

Hello! I'm very new on here so if I am mistaken on where to post this, then I am very sorry!
So my family is going to move to a few acres soon (we live in Oklahoma) and we have no experience in owning chickens or goats (animals we are getting), so I was wondering what the best chicken would be? I know our seasons can be out of wack so I'm wondering what breed would be best for our kind of area. Same for goats! Also, what would the pricing be for the animals them self and care for a year. How many and what age should they be? Also any ideas on small goat barns or chicken coops that are inexpensive would be very helpful! Again we are extremely new at this so any tips or ideas is highly appreciated!
Thanks,
Hannah H.

My favorite egg layers that do well here are probably austrolorps. But that's partly because they're very friendly. Almost all my backyard girls are austrolorps.

My husband has been hard at work. I hope he makes some good sales this spring.

I got my finger in the last shot. Lol!

Last edited:
My husband has been hard at work. I hope he makes some good sales this spring.

I got my finger in the last shot. Lol!

Looking very nice! The first one is my personal favorite of the bunch. On a side note all 3 of the SLW hens are laying for me which is super exciting. ^_^ Thanks again for letting me take them off your hands. They are doing great!

Quote:At my age, a tiny extendable rake or a can taped to the end of a 1/2" diameter length of pvc makes a good egg grabber.

Quote:
In the Other Poultry thread, there is a great selection of duck threads. They were a big help for me.

I have three ducks/ Gamebird ration for the feed...40 pound bag at Atwoods is a little over $15. Handle them daily, stroking wings and feet to get them used to being handled so you can check them for injury. Ducks are notoriously messy. I use shavings in the brooder and made a bath proof water pan..
For feed I use a 1 gallon dog food feeder ..the self filling bowl type.

I trimmed off the lip of a 1 gallon waterer and turn it upside down in a small tub. That is then sitting on a plastic box with holes to catch the splashed water to help keep the bedding dry. ( switched to a 1/2 inch grid hardwire over a bigger tub when they got older.. Ducks like to dunk their heads in water and must have water available when they eat.

A small baby tath tub works nicely until they outgrow it.

This is a 5 x2 foot goat water tank. They go outside for baths and I have portable fencing for them now.

At about 3 weeks, treats are chopped tomato, small pieces of lettuce, small peas. Put them in a bowl of water and let them dive for them.
Right now, mine are inside each night in a 6 x 2 x2 water tank as a brooder. They are 5 months old and will soon go to the garden which is fenced and has a nice cage for them at night with a wooden house inside that will be their new home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom