***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I ges my bird's are hillbilly chicken because they dont get ice water an the only treat's they get are the grasshopper's that fly into ther cage's ..
I did put skin so soft on some of the polish last yr tho to keep the buffalo nat's away...

Hubby had put a young bull in a different pasture with a couple of pairs so the big bull could be back with his herd without competition. Just had his foot worked on last week at the vet.
Anyway, checking on a cow close to birth, noticed the young bull was inside a section of the creek that was enclosed in hog wire and hot wire to keep baby calves from falling in the ravine. How he got in there, we have no idea...no section weak or down, but we had to take down a corner so he could get out. Not sure how long he was in there, but he headed for the pond for water.

Everything else is quiet on the Meeker front.

Quote:
Yes. Our visiting goat is still here. Would you like to have her? I've wormed her, and she's getting all the grass she can eat. I started giving her a ration of grain at night when I feed my three ladies. That was easier than standing over the group to keep her from eating from their long trough.

Quote:
Sorry you've lost so many. Mine have faired well through this heat.

If I didn' t get welsummers from 3 different sources I would consider that it might have just been because they were not healthy birds or something like that. I am certain they just don't hold up in the heat like the others. I have lost welsummers of all ages so the breed is the only thing I can blame. Think I would feel differently if I was loosing others to the heat regularly. We have barley had any days less than 105 in the past month & only 1 rain. There has been rain close to use, so we have gotten the humidity. The rain just seems to go around! I wonder why yours are doing better Cuban longtails. Maybe you talk nicer to your birds than I do????

Jack, my neighbor with LF, has lost quite a few Welsummers this summer. His Marans and Ameraucanas did much better in the heat.

Quote:
Yep, 2 Blues and Black you want one,some or all 3? I thought Beth was coming for them but then I never heard back so if you want them they're available.

There's a blue hen, right? If so yes, I want the blue hen. They were so pretty and so big when I saw them! I can pay you now but what with school just starting here I can't pick her up until Friday night. Will that be ok?

There are 2 Blue 1 Black, you can take which ever one, two or three, you want. We can wait and you can pay when you pick her or them up. Your choice.

Quote:
hugs.gif
It is probably best to end her suffering.

I HATE it when a young bird is suffering and I can't seem to do anything for it.

Quote:
Not the brightest bulb in the box concerning abbreviations. I know what EE is, what is OE

I think olive egger

That was my thinking as well,
I coul dbe wrong I was never into the Olive eggers but I believe you need the EE male as egg color is in theory passed from the male but with the EE the egg color comes from a liver enzyme so it should work either way so long as you are using birds that lay green of blue eggs.

Quote:
Welcome!
I have a 5 mo. old pullet that has layed maybe 7 or 8 eggs and has already gone broody! - she is a Cochin of course. Is there any breed more broody than Cochins?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom