1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. NotSuperWoman

NotSuperWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    My Humble Manor
    Have a great night everyone. I hope some of you are getting rain. There is a pretty big thunderhead with lots of lightening West of the Tulsa area. It's a pretty spectacular show.

SJarvis.... I might be interested in some Cochrins, if they other person does not take them, as long as they are hens. Just let me know if they are available and how much you would like. [​IMG]

My hens seem to be handling the heat ok. Although one seems to of developed a cough? I was told by the gentleman I bought them from it could be because of the heat, or crumbies. I put ice bottles in their water today.

What else should I be looking for with this cough?

Tomorrow I am going to get my organic feed. And I just might stop on the way back to pick up some leg horn chicks. I am still convincing myself that it's still chicken math, and my kids need the experience raising chicks anyway. I think I can get an elevated rabbit hutch for pretty inexpensive to keep them in outside when they are ready to move outside, until they are big enough to join the main flock or go to freezer camp.

Have a blessed night everyone!

Angela in Tulsa

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    My escape artist chicken yeta was out while I was working in the garden today. She was chattering up a storm to me b/c I was in the cucumber jungle and I wouldn't let her in w/ me b/c she is such a zealous bug seeker the rearanges the cuke vines and mulch. So I was just ignoring her even though I knew exactly what she wanted (in the garden w/ me) well after she had enough of it and knew I wasn't going to let her in she flew up on the gate and just perched there chattering at me like "See if I wanted in there I wouldn't need your help" after she was through scoulding me she flew off after other bugs not in that garden area.

3. old*cowboy

old*cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    arapaho, okla.
    You guys are talking about hauling goats. My son and I went to Pueblo CO a few years back (6 hour drive from my house then) , I judged the pigeon show at the state fair there. The goat show was going on the same time so after I was done, we went and watched some great dairy goats. Got to talking with a man that had two young grown does for sale. We followed hime to Colo springs another 2 hours. Looked at the does and loved them. BIG ISSUE. I was driving my wifes new Jeep Liberty. The guy that had the goats had the biggest pet taxi I have ever seen, before or since. Laid the back seats down and it fit snug but fit in the back of the liberty. Loaded the goats and went back to pueblo. Got there about 3 am, tired and wore out. Stopped at motel, got about 3 hours sleep, got our stuff and drove the 6 hours back to home. 2 goats can pee alot. It was pretty cold weather, but remember we drove with our windows down most of the way home. Eyes burned so bad from amonia smell couldnt hardly see. Wife might have been one of the seven dwarfs, but she sure wasnt Happy. Took months for that odor to be completely gone in her Jeep. Goats can and will ride up front guys. [​IMG]

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Yep, 2 Blues and Black you want one, some or all 3? I thought Beth was coming for them but then I never heard back so if you want them they're available.

Are Cochins good egg layers? I might be interested. It would be a good field trip for my girls. [​IMG]

They do lay quite well except in this extreme heat, in cooler weather, and all winter I will get 5-6 a week from each bird.

5. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I had a pretty good hunch the goat would smell too bad to go in the van! I put boxes of birds in the van any day leave the windows cracked the next day & no more smell. Cowboy next time you haul livestock in the wives car you might want to take it in after to get it detailed!

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Will they start having shows again?

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Are Cochins good egg layers? I might be interested. It would be a good field trip for my girls. [​IMG]

They do lay quite well except in this extreme heat, in cooler weather, and all winter I will get 5-6 a week from each bird.

I do want one of the blue hens, I'll come get her Friday around 6? Or name a time good for you if that doesnt work.
    NotSuperWoman, the Cochins at his house are awesome! They're my favorite breed, the ones he has are huge and fluffy and beautiful. If you get the other 2 he has you'll be very happy with them. They lay pretty brown eggs.

8. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Today of all things Teva's kitten was eating canned Peach slices with her. His favorite snack is hot-links and Doritos!

9. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    old*cowboy :

You guys are talking about hauling goats. My son and I went to Pueblo CO a few years back (6 hour drive from my house then) , I judged the pigeon show at the state fair there. The goat show was going on the same time so after I was done, we went and watched some great dairy goats. Got to talking with a man that had two young grown does for sale. We followed hime to Colo springs another 2 hours. Looked at the does and loved them. BIG ISSUE. I was driving my wifes new Jeep Liberty. The guy that had the goats had the biggest pet taxi I have ever seen, before or since. Laid the back seats down and it fit snug but fit in the back of the liberty. Loaded the goats and went back to pueblo. Got there about 3 am, tired and wore out. Stopped at motel, got about 3 hours sleep, got our stuff and drove the 6 hours back to home. 2 goats can pee alot. It was pretty cold weather, but remember we drove with our windows down most of the way home. Eyes burned so bad from amonia smell couldnt hardly see. Wife might have been one of the seven dwarfs, but she sure wasnt Happy. Took months for that odor to be completely gone in her Jeep. Goats can and will ride up front guys. [​IMG]

We bought a big dog crate that was used for military working dogs. Went to Ft. Riley Ks. to get it and it sure is handy. Of course it is always at home when there is a good deal found on critters!

We bought a goat at Prague and Teva just cross tied her in the bed for the trip home, as we were filling up with gas it started raining (of course) and goats hate to get wet so Teva just tarped her. When it rained she ducked her head and let the tarp slide over it, stopped raining and she would lift her head up and look around. I laughed so hard watching her I almost couldn't drive.

Someday I'll tell ya'll about the trip to Cimmarron Ks. for calves, in a minivan.​

10. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:They do lay quite well except in this extreme heat, in cooler weather, and all winter I will get 5-6 a week from each bird.

I do want one of the blue hens, I'll come get her Friday around 6? Or name a time good for you if that doesnt work.
    NotSuperWoman, the Cochins at his house are awesome! They're my favorite breed, the ones he has are huge and fluffy and beautiful. If you get the other 2 he has you'll be very happy with them. They lay pretty brown eggs.

ksane,
    6 or anytime doesn't matter, I'm always here, other than my recent stop smoking campaign and weekly counciling for that purpose I very seldom leave the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by