***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Going back to read the last entries...But had to update:

Putting out oyster shell for the pens today, Pen 11 roo was doing a great job calling his new girls over and laying pieces in front of them. I noticed that the pen was running low on pellets so I walked back to the barn. When I walked back into the pen, the big rooster was down. I immediately picked him up and checked his airway. He had a piece lodged in his throat....graveyard dead! He will be dumplings at my MILs tonight. Just made me sick. He covered every hen in the pen yesterday so I'm going to go ahead and collect eggs for a week just to see what hatches. Then I'll decide what to do with the six hens in that pen.

And we have Revenge of the Rat going on now.
barnie.gif

Hubby suggested that just in case she had a suiter, I should set the trap again. So this morning I loaded it up with peanut butter and cheese. A critter has already stolen the bait after tripping the trap....and has moved in some treasures. The pill bottle has reappeared empty, a piece of pumpkin rind, and a bunch of pecan shells from the flower bed. It was like a challenge. But I never surrender!

Reading all these trail cam threads has got me wanting one. I'd like to see how often the coyotes are coming by without chickens being around. I've seen them pass through my front yard in the mornings before but they won't be able to cut through it now I put up welded wire fence on my existing 2 rail wood fence.
I just had a sudden fear that once I get chickens the coyotes will visit more in daytime and cause my dogs to try harder to get out of their fenced area and I'll end up with dead dogs. So I know electric fencing will be needed on the chicken run and the perimeter of my dogs' yard. And probably on the interior of my dogs' yard. I want to keep the yotes away from my dogs and my dogs away from the yotes. I really hope I get to work from home soon to ease my fears about what might happen while I'm away at work. But there is a good chance my dad will be retiring soon and can keep an eye on things since my parents are my neighbors.

Putting out oyster shell for the pens today, Pen 11 roo was doing a great job calling his new girls over and laying pieces in front of them. I noticed that the pen was running low on pellets so I walked back to the barn.  When I walked back into the pen, the big rooster was down.  I immediately picked him up and checked his airway.  He had a piece lodged in his throat....graveyard dead!  He will be dumplings at my MILs tonight.  Just made me sick.  He covered every hen in the pen yesterday so I'm going to go ahead and collect eggs for a week just to see what hatches.  Then I'll decide what to do with the six hens in that pen. 

And we have [COLOR=FF0000]Revenge of the Rat[/COLOR] going on now. :barnie
Hubby suggested that just in case she had a suiter, I should set the trap again.  So this morning I loaded it up with peanut butter and cheese.  A critter has already stolen the bait after tripping the trap....and has moved in some treasures.  The pill bottle has reappeared empty, a piece of pumpkin rind, and a bunch of pecan shells from the flower bed.   It was like a challenge.  But I never surrender!

Oh no was it a Cochin roo?

Putting out oyster shell for the pens today, Pen 11 roo was doing a great job calling his new girls over and laying pieces in front of them. I noticed that the pen was running low on pellets so I walked back to the barn.  When I walked back into the pen, the big rooster was down.  I immediately picked him up and checked his airway.  He had a piece lodged in his throat....graveyard dead!  He will be dumplings at my MILs tonight.  Just made me sick.  He covered every hen in the pen yesterday so I'm going to go ahead and collect eggs for a week just to see what hatches.  Then I'll decide what to do with the six hens in that pen. 

And we have [COLOR=FF0000]Revenge of the Rat[/COLOR] going on now. :barnie
Hubby suggested that just in case she had a suiter, I should set the trap again.  So this morning I loaded it up with peanut butter and cheese.  A critter has already stolen the bait after tripping the trap....and has moved in some treasures.  The pill bottle has reappeared empty, a piece of pumpkin rind, and a bunch of pecan shells from the flower bed.   It was like a challenge.  But I never surrender!

Oh no was it a Cochin roo?

Back
Top Bottom