***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
They're White Hollands with blue eyes and everything. Might bring a couple just to see what happens. Don't want to drag a bunch halfway across the state only to drag them home again. It's a two hour drive. I'll definitely be bringing the plants and apple butter. Might do a mix of other jellies and jams too. I could also bring some turkey eggs. Maybe I'll bring one of my mosaic eggs too ... not sure who might want it but someone might see it and impulse buy. How does the auction work? Can I give them a minimum bid that we have to get for them or are we just stuck with whatever someone gives? That is a good option though. We might just have to stay for the auction too.

Just got through candling the eggs, of the 30 started only 2 had blood rings, there were another 2 I wasn't to sure about but gave them the benefit of a doubt. I was expecting a greater reduction, maybe I shouldn't have set so many.
hide.gif

I've been there ... thought we wouldn't have so many baby turkeys still ...
th.gif

Don't forget to check out the POOPS thread. Here is the updated list of attendees and potluck. Mj and I are working on the Tshirts and will have those up soon.
MJ did you get my PM?

2013 POOPS
Potluck & Poultry
May 4th, 10:00am – 4:00pm

Newcastle FFA Barn

Much thanks to several previous POOPS Major Players for graciously sharing the POOPS title. This event is in no way an attempt to carry on in the grand scale of previous years, just lots of busy people that want to get together and celebrate birds.

Schedule of Events

10:00 – Start swap & private sales
12:00 - Potluck
1:00 – Kids Egg Contest
2:00 – Raffle & Prize drawing (Prizes TBD)
5:00 – P & H poultry Auction begins

Participant List:
Cayuse Ranch: 4
Mjgigax: 3
Jcatblum: 4
Shelbydog: 1
Lonnyandrinda: 6
Hearts4animals: 3
NanaKat: 2
WhiskeyTango: 4
Cathiesue: 1
Poco Pollo: 1

Muesky: 1
Erinszoo: 4

Swap & Private Sales: Tables and birds can be set up free of charge. In order to keep our birds separated from the P&H poultry auction, our birds will be outside set up outside on the east side of the building. You will need to supply everything for you booth, Tables not provided and everything needs to be taken down by 3pm.

Potluck List (Beverages will not be provided or available, please pack a cooler. Also we do not have access to a kitchen, but we will have electrical for crockpots etc.)

Salads
Old fashioned Cabbage Salad – Nanakat

Entrees
Oven Baked Ham – Jcatblum
Apple butter pulled pork – Shelbydog
Meat – mjgigax
Vegetarian Dish - Muesky
Poco Pollo - Casserole

Side Dishes
Corn Casserole – cayuseranch
Pasta Salad - Muesky

Desserts
Lonnyandrinda

Raffle Donations: (Please either post below what you are donating or PM NanaKat with item. All Raffle Items need to be checked in at POOPS by 11:30 so that people have an opportunity to know what they are selecting)
Homemade Soaps from Nanakat
Trio of birds from Nanakat
Metal Egg Basket from Cayuseranch
White Violet sets from Mjgigax

Amazing Egg Contest for Kids (under 18 only)
Rules
The egg contest is for chicken eggs that are less than 30 days old.
Each child may enter up to 6 eggs.
Eggs will be assigned a number & placed on a table for viewing.
Voting will be available for all Poops attendees.
Each voter will pick the egg that they think is
Largest
Smallest
Prettiest
Darkest
Oddest
Eggs Need to be checked in before Lunch. All votes will be totaled & the egg in each category with the most votes will be declared the winner.

Prizes still to be determined

Set Up Committee:
Cayuseranch

Clean Up Committee:
NanaKat
Cathie Sue

Raffle Helpers (teenagers work great!):

Art Work Committee (We need someone to make signs, name tags etc before the event):

Feel free to post in this thread things you are bringing to swap, sell or WTB. Also this event is a work in progress and we welcome your thoughts, recommendations or ideas! This event will be as good as “we” okies of the BYC make it! Thanks for your contributions.

I will be updating this post regularly with names of participants, potluck list, any schedule changes etc. Please check back regularly.

Please PM me if you are attending with the number of people in your party and what item you will be bringing to the potluck, as well as any volunteering you would like to do.

Hey Betsy
All my guinea hens are laying full force now. Did you want keets or eggs or young adults? They start hatching weds and every fri after that from now on let me know. And anyone else if ya want guinea keets or eggs. I'm thinking of selling a trio of blue laced red Wyandotte's there 3-4 mo old and a pair that are 2 mo old if anyone is interested.

Evening all! Another nice day here. Windy and cloudy but nice. I got my tomatoes palnted. Thought I would not plant so many this year but I always loose control when I se nice plants so I ended up planting 24! Planted pin ladys,jetstar and triple crop vinineing tomatoes. Never heard of the triple crop but thought they sounded interesting. Got each plant buried long ways with a paper collar for cut worms and each has a wire cage to keep the dang startlings away.
Sucessfully moved a setting game hen yesterday and gave her a batch of fresh eggs today. Need to get me some more games for incubators!lolSure do like my new EE hens. They all lay blue except one which lays an olive colored one. I really like them since they are selling for $20 each around here and I got mine for $6 ! lol everyone take care and hug a chicken!

I think we're going to get to go to POOPS after all.  Brother from China will be in Texas, a three-day event for us requiring someone to take care of our animals.  We get to see him in Texas at least three times a year, he was here (in Texas and HERE) in December, will be back in September, and we're going to try to go see him in China later on.  I really need to sell some silkies and especially showgirls, and a one-day trip would be much easier on us!  I have some really nice silkies and showgirls in several colors.  Was feeling sad about missing my POOPS friends!
I have been looking for showgirls and silkies! I lost my silkie girl and emmit is so lonely. Can I please reserve some?

Nothing like information regarding POOPS to bring some of us old timers out of poultry retirement
cool.png

Yesterday, I found the first guinea eggs of the season. Guess it is time to separate the colors in the flight pen so I can hatch some pure colors. I need to have jcatblum remind me what color I finally kept last year in addition to the lavenders. At one time, I had chocolate, purple and another color that were purchased from her daughter at the Newcastle auction. I only kept one color over the winter - either the purple or chocolate.

It was good to see Michael Daugherty at Mary's swap and flea market on Saturday. I sold him a pair of opal black shouldered peacocks. He tied the male to the top of some cages so it wouldn't fly off, which allowed his tail feathers to display nicely since they were too long for any cage. I had never seen that done with a bird and was amazed at how calmly he sat there, despite having mulitiple people come up close to admire him.

My red golden and yellow golden pheasants have started laying. Guess I will have to fire up an incubator to hatch those after they have been laying for a week or two. The first eggs of the season never seem very fertile, despite feeding them game bird starter all winter.

Last edited:
Nothing like information regarding POOPS to bring some of us old timers out of poultry retirement :cool:

Yesterday, I found the first guinea eggs of the season.  Guess it is time to separate the colors in the flight pen so I can hatch some pure colors.  I need to have jcatblum remind me what color I finally kept last year in addition to the lavenders.  At one time, I had chocolate, purple and another color that were purchased from her daughter at the Newcastle auction.  I only kept one color over the winter -  either the purple or chocolate. 

It was good to see Michael Daugherty at Mary's swap and flea market on Saturday.  I sold him a pair of opal black shouldered peacocks.  He tied the male to the top of some cages so it wouldn't fly off, which allowed his tail feathers to display nicely since they were too long for any cage.  I had never seen that done with a bird and was amazed at how calmly he sat there, despite having mulitiple people come up close to admire him.

My red golden and yellow golden pheasants have started laying.  Guess I will have to fire up an incubator to hatch those after they have been laying for a week or two.  The first eggs of the season never seem very fertile, despite feeding them game bird starter all winter. 

Good to see you P&B! Wondered what happened to you...always enjoy hearing about the diversity in your flock. How are your bees?

Nothing like information regarding POOPS to bring some of us old timers out of poultry retirement
cool.png

Yesterday, I found the first guinea eggs of the season. Guess it is time to separate the colors in the flight pen so I can hatch some pure colors. I need to have jcatblum remind me what color I finally kept last year in addition to the lavenders. At one time, I had chocolate, purple and another color that were purchased from her daughter at the Newcastle auction. I only kept one color over the winter - either the purple or chocolate.

It was good to see Michael Daugherty at Mary's swap and flea market on Saturday. I sold him a pair of opal black shouldered peacocks. He tied the male to the top of some cages so it wouldn't fly off, which allowed his tail feathers to display nicely since they were too long for any cage. I had never seen that done with a bird and was amazed at how calmly he sat there, despite having mulitiple people come up close to admire him.

My red golden and yellow golden pheasants have started laying. Guess I will have to fire up an incubator to hatch those after they have been laying for a week or two. The first eggs of the season never seem very fertile, despite feeding them game bird starter all winter.
Hello Mary Beth!

Back
Top Bottom