***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hi :)

I am new to the site and preparing to have chickens in my back yard :) I already have a coop put together. Could anyone tell me if there is a one-stop kind of place to buy the chickens and other supplies.

I am very excited about the opportunity to read through the posts and gleen lots of valuable information. Thank you for any information you can share :)

I am new to the site and preparing to have chickens in my back yard :) I already have a coop put together. Could anyone tell me if there is a one-stop kind of place to buy the chickens and other supplies.

I am very excited about the opportunity to read through the posts and gleen lots of valuable information. Thank you for any information you can share :)

welcome-byc.gif

Have you decided what you are looking for in chicken breeds? Do you want to hand raise some chicks or start with laying hens? Do you want hatchery-type birds to lay fast and furious and replace every few years, or heritage stock from a breeder that have a laying life of 5+ years?

If you can tell us the general area you live in I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on where to get birds. I know the feed store nearest to me (Lee's Feed in Catoosa) is done carrying chicks for the year, but some others still have them. As far as supplies, a feed store like Atwoods will carry everything you need, although if you have a feed mill nearby they will almost certainly be cheaper for feed.

I would recommend feed, a feeder, a water pan (waterers are nice but you want a water pan too for the birds to stand in and cool off in the summer). Hanging feeders seem to cut down on wasted feed if you have room to hang one in your coop, and you can move it up/down as your babies grow. If you get adults you will need oyster shell and grit, too. That's pretty much all the necessities. Oh and if you get babies you will need a clamp light, if you are brooding them in a box in the house you can use a regular 100 watt light bulb (NOT the new energy efficient kind, they don't put off enough heat) or buy a special 125 watt heat lamp at the feed store.

Last edited:

First you should figure out what kind of chickens you want. But as far as supplies goes, atwoods or local feed store should do it. Do you have any breeds in mind?

Robin that duck looks like a swedish that is getting ready to molt. Ours get those little tufts in the spring but they go away in a couple of weeks.

Beautiful day here. Put out new straw for everyone since it quit raining finally. The ducks were about half covered in mud which they didn't mind at all. They are kind of like pigs in that regard ... hmmmm ... Sat outside for awhile with the birds and watched the city replacing electric poles including the one they just replaced in the fall for us. Government at work for ya ...

Hey guys, checking in. Was suppose to be on my way to goat boot camp, but DH totaled out his car this AM & my trip was canceled. Last thing we needed was the stress of car shopping! Allstate has been great, the wreck was about 530AM we called them around 7 or 8 & they are already prepared to have me sign over the title & cut us a check. DH is fine, maybe a little bruised. Things could have been much worse!

Guineas are hatching right now, so so noisy!

Hey guys, checking in. Was suppose to be on my way to goat boot camp, but DH totaled out his car this AM & my trip was canceled. Last thing we needed was the stress of car shopping! Allstate has been great, the wreck was about 530AM we called them around 7 or 8 & they are already prepared to have me sign over the title & cut us a check. DH is fine, maybe a little bruised. Things could have been much worse!

Guineas are hatching right now, so so noisy!

Good to hear he's okay. And when are guineas not noisy? Lol

I went right for chicken talk. Where are may manners, lol
Welcome to BYC.
Are you wanting chickens for meat or egg productionor ornamental?

Back
Top Bottom