***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I have not heard or read a whole lot about [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]red sex links, i will google and see what i come up with. my grandfather in law is 83, and used to raise chickens when he was growing up, so he said "we have to have them.. period" there is no arguing with that man, but i love him just like he was my own grandfather. so i figured we would give them a try and see what happens. Lol. thank you for your input.

the welsumers terra cotta eggs is why i told my DH that i had to have some :) they are soo pretty.

and we want to have a bunch of different colored eggs as well, to keep the kids more interested in the work of it. :)

the speckled sussex are very pretty as well. and we will be giving them plenty to forage, even if it is a large enclosed run.
[/FONT]
I personally adore my speckled sussex. They are handy foragers and lay quite well and are very inquisitive. Plus when free ranging they have a natural camo outfit!

I had welsumers and loved them too. They lay a beautiful terra cotta colored egg with dark speckles.

On the leghorns I have had a few. They thought I was Godzilla and ran like I was the monster! That flightiness can make your other hrns react the same way too...the 'if youre scared I'm scared too' chicken thought process. They do lay very well even in the heat but they also burn themselves out quickly because of that. In the future I will opt for red sex links instead as they tend to be quieter.

I should have pushed the quote button because now I can't remember what breeds that you were asking about. Posting on my mobile phone has its limitations!

Everyone stay safe in the storms!

I really love all of my EEs as well. The colored eggs are requested by all but one of my egg buyers.

When looking at day old chicks, how do you tell the difference between Cochin and for frizzles
I am not a frizzle expert by any stretch so others more familiar feel free to correct me if this is a wrong statement, it is gleened information from reading posts, not actual knowledge I posses, how is that for a disclaimer! lol lol

It is my understanding that frizzles does not show itself until the chicks are about 2 weeks.

I am not a frizzle expert by any stretch so others more familiar feel free to correct me if this is a wrong statement, it is gleened information from reading posts, not actual knowledge I posses, how is that for a disclaimer! Lol lol

It is my understanding that frizzles does not show itself until the chicks are about 2 weeks.

That stinks I guess I will not be able to try to find some at atwoods, lol

I I was just reading about ISABrowns. They seem to be one of the best brown egg production chicken. Does anybody have any of these.
ISAbrown is a red sex link they also have several other names but hey are the same bird

red sex link
ISAbrown
gold star
red star
golden comet
cinnamon queen

these are all names for the same bird most hatcheries carry them they are also the birds that the 4H kids get fro the chain pen at the fair

also please note that they are a one time cross witch produces an exalant laying bird that matures fast and are color sexable at hatch pullets are an orange red and cockerels are white but if you breed them back together the offspring will no longer be color sexable and the pullets will lose some of there laying abilities

I am not a frizzle expert by any stretch so others more familiar feel free to correct me if this is a wrong statement, it is gleened information from reading posts, not actual knowledge I posses, how is that for a disclaimer! lol lol

yes kass is right frizzle chicks will not show there frizzeling till they start getting there feathers in also a frizzle is like a NN it is an incomplete dominate trait and a frizzle will show frizzling and if the chicken dose not show frizzling then it dose not carry the gene

Nana I drove through Meeker today & thought of you,
Made it home after meeting up with SIL to hand off the girls for a wk with Grandma. Checked all the animals, let them out for some quick foraging before the weather gets ugly. Guessing at least 3 dozen keets screaming at me from the hatcher. Storms getting close, already hear thunder. News9 was parked down the rd when I came home, never a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom