***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Got babies moved all around today out to bigger areas. Had a blast watching all the running and jumping and playing. I swear I'll never hatch in the winter again. I had just assumed these RIR/Production Reds I'd gotten at an auction last fall were male. But the way one of my other roosters is flirting with them made me take a 2nd look. No sickles feathers and no hackle feathers and combs still real tiny. I think they're girls. They look like RIR girls.
Got a shot of the Silkie/Sizzle/Frizzle group, got all 16 in one shot. I still can't really tell male from female, they're 2 months old now. Bardies has some the same age. There's 2 straight feathered ones from the Sizzle hatch along with 1 Frizzle and 1 Sizzle. The rest of all these are all regular Silkie feathered.
Gorgeous! I love Silkies but they just don't suit for our needs! That one, front left, I assume is a frizzle? He looks like he stuck his beak in a light socket......I would just cuddle them all day!

Kyz-lol! Alien babies? :-D
Kass, I only wish I had your camera and photography skils.
Tara, yea, that's the frizzle. He does look like he got electrocuted.
There's 7 Silkies in with another group plus these 16 and the Showgirl rooster so I did end up with 24 Silkies. I've lost some and some eggs didn't hatch but that's still a good group of Silkies. I'm hoping to get tons of practice caponizing and when I get good at it I'll probably caponize most the boys. God knows I suck at giving them away :-/ I may put all the white females in with the white Showgirl boy after they're older. It's like I have this strange fear of "running out" of Silkies.

Okay, peeps, Pop Quiz! What's the most expensive item you've ever lost?
clap.gif
*Sarcastic clapping* For me, it's a $700 camera! Woohoo, way to go, Hannah! *More sarcasm*

That is great, is that the meds i gave you? if the frizzle is that young, maybe section off a little area for her and the cockerel?? I finally got sonny to eat - after inhaling the hardboileld egg, he decided the crumbles looked good too

cochins will get bullied by more dominant birds, is there a group you can put the RIR with? They are wonderful birds, one of my friendliest and healthiest is Donna, my RIR

Yup! It is the meds you gave me! They are working so well on all the ones that had gotten the sniffles. I haven't heard any sneezing today. That poor frizzle has had a rough life so far. I don't have any other pens or anything to put her in. If she was healthy and I knew she wouldn't give anything to anyone I could put her in with the kids but it's too cramped in there as it is and I don't want them sick. I would like to put them outside soon since they are getting so big. But still I have a high risk of the creep and crud that's floating around.
hmm.png
EDIT: The RIR we have now is a good hen but likes to pick on the younger ones which is all except the Ameraucana. I already traded neighbor kid my barred rock for this RIR.I would ask to trade again but I think his parents would be unhappy. I only have the one coop.

Anyone want a RIR for... name a price??? Or trade for a more docile bird???
big_smile.png

Originally Posted by Ksane

Oh my gosh what CUTENESS!!! Did you get these from Betsy? They are adorable!!! Where do you get frizzles and sizzles around here?

Last edited:
Greeting fellow Okies!

I haven't posted much since hubs and I first got our chickies last Spring, but. I hope to become more active here on BYC from now on. My name is Leah and. I'm a 30-something married, mother of three in Cache, OK (Lawton area). I have 8 hens and this year, want to add 7 more to our existing flock. I've been scouring local craigslist adds, searching old posts here on BYC and watching local flyers at my Atwoods and TSC... Hoping someone has some laying hens for sale. Was kind of hoping to find some pullets or young hens already laying.... Have not been lucky as of yet though, so I suppose I'll be ordering chicks in the coming weeks. I'm specifically looking for some EE's, some of the new Olive eggers, a white leghorn and maybe a few rare heavies. If anyone in the Lawton, Ok area has any for sale or knows of anyone looking to sell, will you please let me know? I'd prefer not to buy day old chicks from the hatchery if I can avoid it. :)
We just moved to Marlow from Lawton. Welcome!

Quote: I have a long story to tell...

So, I take lunch break with my friend, usually. Lunch break means a long trek from Petsmart to Target, in the same shopping center, where we eat from the Pizza Hut. Well, when I got up to leave after eating in the Pizza Hut dining section, in stride with my pal, we were both completely engrossed in conversation. So I wound up leaving my bag, which contained not only my camera, which my dad gave me, but also every dime and nickel of a while's savings.

So, oblivious, I proceeded to walk all the way back down to Petsmart to resume working. After about fifteen minutes of being back at Petsmart, having exercised several dogs, I realized I did not have my bag! D:

So I run back down to Target, ask the Starbucks if they had a camera back turned in, get directed to guest services, no camera bag. So I run back to Petsart to search for my camera there. I ask the staff about a lost and found, check the lost and found, no camera bag. So I go to the bathroom where I try to regain composure as my camera is my life, at times.

After crying, I jog back down to Target, make several futile searches of the spot I was in, and check guest services.

No. Camera. Bag.

So, I resign myself to the fact that I have lost a very, very expensive and precious item, and trudge back to Petsmart. Even after resigning myself to this fact, I keep thinking, "Maybe it'll turn up." I was hopeful, because facing coming home to my dad and telling him I lost his gifted to me camera was something I dreaded, a pain almost worse that loosing the actual camera.

My friend tells me to go back to Target one more time. So I do. And guess what?

When I reach guest services, an employee is riffling through my belongings in the bag. I think I scared her a little screaming, "Oh, thank heavens, you found it!" where I then proceeded to snatch my bag, despite the futile voices of my sanity telling me to stay calm and wait for her to give it to me.

She, thankfully, believed it was mine and gave it back gladly. Everything was there, she'd just been searching for some sort of ID in the bag she could use to contact an owner.

So, in short, I do have my camera back. And I swear I am going to grow a brain. One day...

I have a long story to tell...

So, I take lunch break with my friend, usually. Lunch break means a long trek from Petsmart to Target, in the same shopping center, where we eat from the Pizza Hut. Well, when I got up to leave after eating in the Pizza Hut dining section, in stride with my pal, we were both completely engrossed in conversation. So I wound up leaving my bag, which contained not only my camera, which my dad gave me, but also every dime and nickel of a while's savings.

So, oblivious, I proceeded to walk all the way back down to Petsmart to resume working. After about fifteen minutes of being back at Petsmart, having exercised several dogs, I realized I did not have my bag! D:

So I run back down to Target, ask the Starbucks if they had a camera back turned in, get directed to guest services, no camera bag. So I run back to Petsart to search for my camera there. I ask the staff about a lost and found, check the lost and found, no camera bag. So I go to the bathroom where I try to regain composure as my camera is my life, at times.

After crying, I jog back down to Target, make several futile searches of the spot I was in, and check guest services.

No. Camera. Bag.

So, I resign myself to the fact that I have lost a very, very expensive and precious item, and trudge back to Petsmart. Even after resigning myself to this fact, I keep thinking, "Maybe it'll turn up." I was hopeful, because facing coming home to my dad and telling him I lost his gifted to me camera was something I dreaded, a pain almost worse that loosing the actual camera.

My friend tells me to go back to Target one more time. So I do. And guess what?

When I reach guest services, an employee is riffling through my belongings in the bag. I think I scared her a little screaming, "Oh, thank heavens, you found it!" where I then proceeded to snatch my bag, despite the futile voices of my sanity telling me to stay calm and wait for her to give it to me.

She, thankfully, believed it was mine and gave it back gladly. Everything was there, she'd just been searching for some sort of ID in the bag she could use to contact an owner.

So, in short, I do have my camera back. And I swear I am going to grow a brain. One day...
I am so glad your story has a happy ending. My long story does not. I lent my camera to a friends daughter, who in turn lends it to a friend. It so happens the friends family left for Pa. in the middle of the night. So I'm told. I'll never see my camera again, nor can I ever afford one like that, so I have asked for one for my birthday. Should of asked Santa. Anyway, I just want one, and am not going to worry about the quality and all the features since I know the one I had will probably not be in our budget during my lifetime.

On a happier note, I have had three chicks hatch so far today.
jumpy.gif
They are some of the ones I was worried about. Poor Buffy. tomorrow will be 21 days and no sign of hatching. I haven't candled them but will do so tom.. She's hatched 100% in two batches and raised 12 for me I put under her from the hatcherie. She is such an awesome mama so I'll be checking with NanaKat to see if she has any young enough to put under her, if these don't hatch. m If not, maybe someone else will have some that I can afford.
big_smile.png

Looking at all the beautiful chickens everyone gets at the auctions. If I can ever get over my paranoia(sp) . It would just break my heart seeing all the sick and obviously neglected ones I saw at my one and only auction.
hit.gif
I'd love to bring them all home.

PS. You do have a brain, and as far as I can tell it's pretty intelligent. I don't know anyone who hasn't gotten wrapped up in something and forgot to focus on something else.

Back
Top Bottom