***OKIES in the BYC III ***

It's 11 degrees this morning.
barnie.gif
I hope we see a little sunshine soon. I'll be watching our youngest daughter's babies on weekends for the foreseeable future. She's been asked to work a weekend shift, so It's going to be easier for everyone if the babies stay with Granny. I'm still covering electrical sockets and putting small objects up out of reach. It's been a long time since I've needed to baby proof the house.

Anyone going to the Crozier auction in Checotah on the 31st? I need to figure out how I'm going to keep two toddlers corralled and entertained. I've got a lot of re-learning to do.

It's 11 degrees this morning.
barnie.gif
I hope we see a little sunshine soon. I'll be watching our youngest daughter's babies on weekends for the foreseeable future. She's been asked to work a weekend shift, so It's going to be easier for everyone if the babies stay with Granny. I'm still covering electrical sockets and putting small objects up out of reach. It's been a long time since I've needed to baby proof the house.

Anyone going to the Crozier auction in Checotah on the 31st? I need to figure out how I'm going to keep two toddlers corralled and entertained. I've got a lot of re-learning to do.

I think we may try to go, things are finally settling down around here.

On the toddlers- start practicing making them sit in a stroller (double stroller is best but you can use two singles) for 5 minutes at a time and gradually increase it, using an egg timer helps them know when it is "time" to get up. I have a double stroller you can borrow for a few months if you'd like. I've known several moms that with time have taught their toddlers to sit and play with small toys or eat small snacks contentedly while being kept in a stroller. There is a lot of screaming and fighting at first but it can be taught. Even so there is only so long that will work... be prepared to go home early if needed!

A lil off subject but, anyone know where to find any seramas?
My tiny Serama in my avatar is my best buddy in the whole world :) Even my little Chihuahua girl has to take 2nd place. I got him from a lady on this Okie list in Moore, OK. Her screen name is Junebug, she has the greatest Seramas ever, Silkies and normal feathered.

Coral, wishing you all the luck and patience in the world with your grandkids. My oldest is getting married and my youngest is graduating high school-both on the same day in 4 months. I've raised kids for 35 yrs and I am SO ready for a break. I'm certainly NOT ready for grandkids.

I think we may try to go, things are finally settling down around here.

On the toddlers- start practicing making them sit in a stroller (double stroller is best but you can use two singles) for 5 minutes at a time and gradually increase it, using an egg timer helps them know when it is "time" to get up. I have a double stroller you can borrow for a few months if you'd like. I've known several moms that with time have taught their toddlers to sit and play with small toys or eat small snacks contentedly while being kept in a stroller. There is a lot of screaming and fighting at first but it can be taught. Even so there is only so long that will work... be prepared to go home early if needed!

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting a high chair today, and our daughter is bringing her stroller.

I want to go in with ya'll on the speclkled sussex. I have found that Welp Hatcherie has better qualitie birds and excellent customer service. They have all the brreds I want. I haven't compared prices because i like cackle hatcherie too. Their birds a good but maybe not the quality whelp has. Take a look at Whelp and see what you think. You have to have a minimum order of 25, but can mix and match breeds. I would be willing to go with 10 unless ya'll want more or less, but I am willing to make up the differnce.

On Speckled Sussex I found this in Arkansas:
http://shop.gabbardhatchingeggs.com/collections/hatching-eggs/products/speckled-Sussex

This one is a little farther in WI:
http://ourflybabies-chickensforsale.com/sussex_chickens.html

Some breeds are harder to find out of a breeder than hatchery. Don't know when these breeders have any available but I guess if you called or emailed they can tell you or possibly point you in the direction of another breeder. Just thought I would post these. The breeder I saw today for my Light Sussex eggs didn't mention a breeder for Speckled and it totally slipped my mind. If you want to I can hit him up again after tonight. They sure are pretty!

by all means, Please do so. I'm not looking for show quality, but I don't want bad quality either. Welp hatcherie has the best so far but I'll look these up. Thanks a bunch.

Cackle Hatchery http://www.cacklehatchery.com/ has some really nice Speckled Sussex

I will look at Cackle and Welp later. I am glad I asked here. :)

I want to order 4 sussexs. Idon't mind getting a larger order and mixing and matching. I am more than happy to pick up the order for you all and you can pick it up here. I have several brooder boxes, it might be bit crowded but they should be fine for a day or so.

When would you all like to order?

I have a "Big Momma", too. But she is a Black Orpington, the largest of the flock. Last summer she sat on my lap every time I took a break outside. Even today, she follows me all over the place, clucking. So I stop and pick her up and carry her under my left arm while I am doing chores and checking on the other chickens. A neighbor saw how friendly she is and wanted to buy her, but I won't let her go.

Back
Top Bottom