***OKIES in the BYC III ***

LOL @hotcurltr do you REALLY want to know???

Got everything sorted and counted and started in the incubator today. Hubby went a little overboard on the bidding but we did have a completely empty sportsman to fill... only two eggs had slight cracks and I sealed them with beeswax so we'll see how they do.

6 standard cornish + 3 wheaten marans (from @Poco Pollo )
12 Jubilee Orp (will probably keep most of these for a 2nd bloodline)
12 Rhodebar
12 Gold-laced Orp (some of these were marked GLW I'm hoping they were mismarked...but may end up being Wyandottes instead of Orps)
12 Blue/Black Orp
18 BLR Wyandotte
6 Gold-laced Wyandotte
18 Exhibition quality RIR
12 Deep Keel exhibition quality Rouen ducks
7 paint silkie
1 partridge silkie
2 porcelain/buff/blue silkie (not sure what that marking means exactly, I guess a mixed pen)
12 spangled OEGB
14 white silkie
12 black silkie
12 blue silkie
7 blue/black cochin
10 black cochin
6 SFH (will be keeping these for sure)
6 Russian Orloff (will be keeping these for 2nd bloodline I have another set of hatching eggs due to arrive Monday)
12 RIR X Cochin frizzle
18 RIR crosses (I forget the exact mix- almost ate these but hubby insisted they go in the bator...)

Like I said no counting until I do the first candling, right?!?! Haha or not. Totally filled the one sportsman and had 20 eggs left that I slipped into the almost full sportsman... SO if you want any of these chicks they will mostly be fore sale in 3 weeks LOL!!!
I want some of the spangled OEGB's and some BLRW (I have chicks coming from Churchhill here on BYC the end of April, but like you said it is good to introduce a 2nd bloodline)

rofl!! Someone woke up on the wrong side of her tiny bed today lol! Oh, how funny :-D

Lori, yes, they're big and yes, they're hard to find.
Rinda, yours are beautiful :-O I truly want some so so bad after May.

Is Newcastle this weekend? I've got Malay eggs set already in a staggered hatch that's going to last like 8 days. I still can't bear to let any go to waste though. I'll have 4-5 eggs by Saturday-does anyone want them?
Oooh Ooooh Oooooh! I would! I am not sure what my sched is - something about a zoo snooze this weekend, but it could be Friday (hope so!) But I am sure we can work something out...
big_smile.png

@lonnyandrinda I might be interested in the ducklings.

@hotcurltr no plans at this moment to part with the sussex. I got my javas and sussex on saturday.

Last edited:
Chicken math has got the best of me. I now have 50 chicks in brooders and 34 eggs in the incubator. I have been building coops/pens like crazy...
th.gif

LOL YES another one converted to the Chicken Side...

Dusti you can have first pick of the ducklings. They will be hatching easter weekend if I don't mess them up. I've only done duck eggs one other time and they didn't do so well, but they were auction eggs, too, so I know I may not have been to blame. They mostly made it to lockdown but only 5 out of about 20 hatched.

Been there, done that, David!
Kim, we can meet anytime Friday thru Monday. I just dont want the oldest laid egg to get too old. It was laid 3-21.

IT HAS TAKEN ME AN HOUR TO CATCH UP AND i'M STILL NOT FINISHED. i JUST SCREWED UP AND HIT QUOTE BY MISTAKE. sOUNDS like everyone had a great time and got some great birds. I'm really jealous, butwill try to go to the Checotah auction.: I may end up doing that, but they all seem to be content- i hope to make them a much bigger run and coop and use the tractor for silkies, but they are settling in. Ginger has laid 3 eggs, should i save these for you? I am dating them as i collect them. Grettle hasn't yet, maybe the goose taking some feathers shook her up a bit. Dwight sounds like a beautiful guy- those English Orps are so FLUFFY!

Well, just lost my BR, Barbara, dang, i knew it was coming, as her comb was hinting getting darker and darker- sigh.. i hate losing them

Sorry about Barbara. I thought maybe she was getting better, because she got out of the tub and came up and started tallking to me. I always thought when their combs and wattles were bright red that they were healthy?

that is true on comb color, bright red is good, but that morning her comb was deep red and i could hear her squeaking as she breathed- seen it alot lately, although she wasn't thin, like some of the others I have lost- when i see the kind of poop she had its a red flag also- its been a rough winter for my birds

Galahad is still having vent problems, has anyone dealt with a rooster with a prolapse? last nite it sure looked like that

Kim, we can meet anytime Friday thru Monday. I just dont want the oldest laid egg to get too old. It was laid 3-21.
ok! Looks like I will be zooing it on Friday, so should make the auction on sat if they are having one. It will be the fifth Saturday - so maybe not... but since the first Saturday was pre-empted, maybe so? We'll figure it out. Cool!
smile.png

Galahad is still having vent problems, has anyone dealt with a rooster with a prolapse? last nite it sure looked like that

I've not heard of that before but I suppose anything's possible. I would wonder about it be some sort of tumor maybe.

ok! Looks like I will be zooing it on Friday, so should make the auction on sat if they are having one. It will be the fifth Saturday - so maybe not... but since the first Saturday was pre-empted, maybe so? We'll figure it out. Cool! :)

It's just as well if there's no auction. The only thing that saved me from getting any at Coweta is there were so many sick birds. We'll figure a place to meet otherwise.

We have been super busy with poor sick babies (human ones). I haven't been able to keep up with posts. I went to the auction in Blanchard. So much junk there. By the time they did the junk and eggs I was beat. I only got to see the chicks auctioned. No adult birds. I feel like they wasted time on junk and eggs. I know people like eggs, but it would have been nice if they did some eggs then some birds. Switching back and forth. I have only been to one other auction so I'm not sure if this one is typical. I got 9 Barred Rocks that turned out to be 10. Bonus chick I guess LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom