***OKIES in the BYC III ***

We have been super busy with poor sick babies (human ones). I haven't been able to keep up with posts. I went to the auction in Blanchard. So much junk there. By the time they did the junk and eggs I was beat. I only got to see the chicks auctioned. No adult birds. I feel like they wasted time on junk and eggs. I know people like eggs, but it would have been nice if they did some eggs then some birds. Switching back and forth. I have only been to one other auction so I'm not sure if this one is typical. I got 9 Barred Rocks that turned out to be 10. Bonus chick I guess LOL
Blanchard is usually like that. Newcastle will only have a few non poultry items - and usually, any stuff that they sell is poultry related. Maybe only 10% is stuff (and usually much less) - compared to the 60 - 70% stuff in Blanchard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlischicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O

Depending on when they molt, most young heavy breed hens will lay on and off through the winter. Leghorns lay (white) eggs pretty good all year long. Hi-breads, (sex links) are great layers, but seem to slack off after the fall molt till spring. I have some NN that do fairly well through the winter too.

hu.gif
Sorry, I don't know of any roosters that will lay in the winter.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
hide.gif

Haha....I meant which roosters are more aggressive, etc. I grew up in a neck of the woods in NE Texas called "Pinhook"....that pretty much describes how far out in the boondocks we were. We had all kinds of animals. Glad you got a good laugh though.
I got 3 Ameraucana hens and an Ameraucana rooster today. If my rooster lays an egg, I'll be rich.
ep.gif

I just couldn't resist.
lol.png

I've had aggressive, as well as some super friendly roosters in any breed I ever had. A lot of times it passed down from the daddy, but sometimes it's from the way they are raised as well. As soon as I see aggression in one that I'd like to keep, I try teaching him not to challenge people. It he doesn't learn, I either get rid of him, or invite him to a chicken dinner. (As the guest of honor)
D.gif

I just couldn't resist.
lol.png

I've had aggressive, as well as some super friendly roosters in any breed I ever had. A lot of times it passed down from the daddy, but sometimes it's from the way they are raised as well. As soon as I see aggression in one that I'd like to keep, I try teaching him not to challenge people. It he doesn't learn, I either get rid of him, or invite him to a chicken dinner. (As the guest of honor)
D.gif

I agree, except in some of my latest roos who I absolutely knew who the mother was it seems they inherited their bio-moms personality more then the dad's. And it didn't seem to matter the personality of the broody mom either.

LOL @hotcurltr do you REALLY want to know???

Got everything sorted and counted and started in the incubator today. Hubby went a little overboard on the bidding but we did have a completely empty sportsman to fill... only two eggs had slight cracks and I sealed them with beeswax so we'll see how they do.

6 standard cornish + 3 wheaten marans (from @Poco Pollo )
12 Jubilee Orp (will probably keep most of these for a 2nd bloodline)
12 Rhodebar
12 Gold-laced Orp (some of these were marked GLW I'm hoping they were mismarked...but may end up being Wyandottes instead of Orps)
12 Blue/Black Orp
18 BLR Wyandotte
6 Gold-laced Wyandotte
18 Exhibition quality RIR
12 Deep Keel exhibition quality Rouen ducks
7 paint silkie
1 partridge silkie
2 porcelain/buff/blue silkie (not sure what that marking means exactly, I guess a mixed pen)
12 spangled OEGB
14 white silkie
12 black silkie
12 blue silkie
7 blue/black cochin
10 black cochin
6 SFH (will be keeping these for sure)
6 Russian Orloff (will be keeping these for 2nd bloodline I have another set of hatching eggs due to arrive Monday)
12 RIR X Cochin frizzle
18 RIR crosses (I forget the exact mix- almost ate these but hubby insisted they go in the bator...)

Like I said no counting until I do the first candling, right?!?! Haha or not. Totally filled the one sportsman and had 20 eggs left that I slipped into the almost full sportsman... SO if you want any of these chicks they will mostly be fore sale in 3 weeks LOL!!!
oooohhhh, let me know on the GLW and silkies. Then I'd need a NN rooster, but I'm sure i can find someone that doesn't bring in other birdss that's NPIP that has one I can breed t. Just sounds like too much fun. I lost my first chick ever, last night, Well, I mean those that have hatched alive. Unless I count the 3 month old pullet. ok 2 One of the SS was sick when I picked her up. Glenn said she was premature, and he showed me how different her wings etc. were. I tried to save her anyway. Just didn't do a good enough job. I should of been feeding her every hour, and not been on this computor so long last night. I had a hen hatch 5 out of 6, I haven't cracked open the other egg yet to see what was going on there.

I may end up doing that, but they all seem to be content- i hope to make them a much bigger run and coop and use the tractor for silkies, but they are settling in. Ginger has laid 3 eggs, should i save these for you? I am dating them as i collect them. Grettle hasn't yet, maybe the goose taking some feathers shook her up a bit. Dwight sounds like a beautiful guy- those English Orps are so FLUFFY!

Sorry about Barbara. I thought maybe she was getting better, because she got out of the tub and came up and started tallking to me. I always thought when their combs and wattles were bright red that they were healthy?

that is true on comb color, bright red is good, but that morning her comb was deep red and i could hear her squeaking as she breathed- seen it alot lately, although she wasn't thin, like some of the others I have lost- when i see the kind of poop she had its a red flag also- its been a rough winter for my birds

Galahad is still having vent problems, has anyone dealt with a rooster with a prolapse? last nite it sure looked like that
No , don't save me any eggs, You need more orps. Put them in your bator. HEEHEE(as Muesky would say) I only wnat a few of Sonny's mixes and try to get a few pullets.

I just couldn't resist.
lol.png

D.gif
smile.png

oooohhhh, let me know on the GLW and silkies. Then I'd need a NN rooster, but I'm sure i can find someone that doesn't bring in other birdss that's NPIP that has one I can breed t. Just sounds like too much fun. I lost my first chick ever, last night, Well, I mean those that have hatched alive. Unless I count the 3 month old pullet. ok 2 One of the SS was sick when I picked her up. Glenn said she was premature, and he showed me how different her wings etc. were. I tried to save her anyway. Just didn't do a good enough job. I should of been feeding her every hour, and not been on this computor so long last night. I had a hen hatch 5 out of 6, I haven't cracked open the other egg yet to see what was going on there.

No , don't save me any eggs, You need more orps. Put them in your bator. HEEHEE(as Muesky would say) I only wnat a few of Sonny's mixes and try to get a few pullets.
Not sure what your looking for as far as sop standards or what not, but I will have some extra NN roos. Not sure yet how many, what colors the chicks are only 1 week and the others still cooking, and if your wanting to make show girls I might even have a spare one that already has Fm gene (dark skin). What ever color is visible in mine will be a mix genetically and I am not npip, but my flock is healthy, I cull for ill health and failure to thrive.

Robin, for your prolapsed roo...

I imagine roosters can have a rectal blowout just like a hen could. We all have the potential to get hemorrhoids, after all. The difference would be that hens tend to get an oviductal prolapse, and with roosters they don't have that particular organ, so it would be a different mass of internal tissue.

The only thing I could suggest would be a good warm epsom salt bath, and a smear of honey inside the affected area to reduce swelling and potential infection.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/545104/urgent-rooster-with-prolapse-pics

http://www.chickencrossing.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=83119

Good advice for the prolapse.

Hotcurlr I have some nn here not that I bred but I got as chicks and have raised. They are about 6 weeks old now but I an having the darndest time sexing them. My 8 yo gets to pick out a pullet to keep the rest will be sold. If you don't get one from kass I'm sure I will be able to sex them by the time these others are ready.

Robin, for your prolapsed roo...

I imagine roosters can have a rectal blowout just like a hen could. We all have the potential to get hemorrhoids, after all. The difference would be that hens tend to get an oviductal prolapse, and with roosters they don't have that particular organ, so it would be a different mass of internal tissue.

The only thing I could suggest would be a good warm epsom salt bath, and a smear of honey inside the affected area to reduce swelling and potential infection.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/545104/urgent-rooster-with-prolapse-pics

http://www.chickencrossing.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=83119
i wll do that, someone also suggested a fungal infection, so am puttng bactroban cream - on it- he is an older roo- about 7, so i hope this isn't going to be a slow decine

@hotcurltr would you happen to have a pc somewhere onlne or facebook of dwight? i wll pop this weeks in the bator and see how they go

Back
Top Bottom