***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Ummmm.... I have bad news for you... The good news is that they will learn not to poop on you as they get older. The chicks and new chickens always poop on me, but the ones that I'm close to never do.

Quote:
Kass, I'm not sure I would like that, but only because the taste of alcohol doesn't suit me, and any booze I drink has to be pretty darned sweet. But I would certainly be willing to try it in order to find out! I'm pretty excited right now. I picked a few lbs of blackberries last night, and I have about three quarts of blueberries already macerating in sugar in the fridge for jelly. Now a friend at work told me she's going to bring me bags and bags of plums! I'm already thinking of recipes I can make... Plum Jam Spiced Christmas Plum Jam Plums in Cardamom, Vanilla and Honey Whole Plums in Honey Syrup Spicy Asian Plum Sauce Plum Chutney Plum Butter Plum BBQ Sauce Mmmmm, I'm drooling just imagining all the ways I'll be able to play with my food!

So I have a little dark brahma pullet I absolutely love but all the chicks she has grown up with (4 others) are roosters.
he.gif
So I have to rehome the roos or we will eat them. No big deal, except Im worried she is going to be super lonely. Will she bond with my other chickens that are so established? They've all been in the run together so Im not worried about bullying just about her being sad. Maybe I should get another chick around her size so she has a buddy? All my other chickens have buddies. Any ideas?

You can always take one or two other hens out of the coop and pen them up with her for a little while, before putting them back in the coop together. It's very possible they'll bond. Just be aware that it might also change the other pecking orders already set up in your flock.

So I have a little dark brahma pullet I absolutely love but all the chicks she has grown up with (4 others) are roosters. :he  So I have to rehome the roos or we will eat them. No big deal, except Im worried she is going to be super lonely. Will she bond with my other chickens that are so established? They've all been in the run together so Im not worried about bullying just about her being sad. Maybe I should get another chick around her size so she has a buddy? All my other chickens have buddies. Any ideas? 

Take your most timid chicken that is similar size and cage/pen them together. They will bond and will have a buddy system established when you integrate them into flock.

I've added single hens into flock before and have had no trouble but I also have a flock dynamic that makes it work out that way.

Take your most timid chicken that is similar size and cage/pen them together. They will bond and will have a buddy system established when you integrate them into flock.

I've added single hens into flock before and have had no trouble but I also have a flock dynamic that makes it work out that way.
I guess I wasn't clear in my last post, she's already been introduced to the flock and shares a coop with 4 roosters and 2 LF cochin. She is only buddies with the roosters. There is another coop in the run with all bantams (which is what she is) Is it still necessary to separate her and another chicken? I don't have any other chicks (I keep the silkies in a separate coop/run) but I do have a almost full size d'uccle that is super super sweet. So, I guess my options are, keep her where she is and hope she bonds to the LF cochin, or cage her and the d'uccle together for awhile, then reintroduce them together, and that way she's housed with the bantams. Does any of this make sense. Is it likely she will bond with LF? They're super sweet so Im not worried about them hurting her. I was thinking I needed to get another bantam as a friend for her, but maybe I'm over analyzing everything!

Yeah, you were clear. Separating them out resets their pecking orders and they tend to bond to each other.

Back
Top Bottom