***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I don't know but I think so, you could call and ask. I find less waste with the pellets myself. The co-op is right on hwy 51 as you go through coweta, it's on the right just past the RR bridge. Not much parking space sometimes it gets a little crowded. We love using them, they have good prices and friendly workers. If you've gone to the Coweta Auction John who helps call the bids is the co-op manager.
Thanks Rinda, I will have to go check them out.
smile.png

Hey Everybody, new to this chicken thing and won't even have my chicks until spring but I love to soak up info ahaed of time. I have read a lot of stuff about chicken's in general, but are there any particular considerations for Oklahoma folks, especially central Oaklahoma, that you might not find in the books. We will be raising egg layers, haven't decided on breed yet, and eventually rais enough chickens to supply our family with meat throughout the year. Our weather is so wonky here that I don't even know where to build the coop. I have options for shade near the woods or out in the open or maybe a combo. I'll take any info I can get. Thanks everyone for being the awesome chicken people that you are. My family is excited to jump into our chicken adventure. (BTW we are on 5 acres in the far eastern part of OKC around Stanley Drapper).

A big
welcome-byc.gif
from N E Oklahoma. I hope you find the answers you're looking for. The biggest thing is predators. Make your coop twice the size you think you need, and as tight as Ft Knox, and lock them in it at night.

Well, a few weeks ago we had a big killing freeze coming, so I went out and picked all the mint that was easy to pic (long stemy stuff) I got 2 wally world sacs full. I pureed them w/ water in the blender and set the juice in the fridge for a few weeks to meld, seep, infuse whatever you want to call it. Today I have 2.5 gallons of prewine (mint) and a cookie sheet full of mint "cookies" for the rabbits.

Quote: I get layer pellets from S & S feeds in Shawnee for $13.15 for 50# and they give a .25 cent discount for 10 or more bags.
Have also bought bulk custom mixed feed from N & R mill in Harrah ... 1000 # ran me about $300 because I had them bag it in 50# bags. The bags and labor adds some to the cost that could be avoided if you had barrels.
Because of mice in the barn, I purchased 31 gallon covered cans for feed storage....

Quote:
Well come on down! many of us wear our POOPS (People of Oklahoma Poultry Swap) shirts and BYC (My pet makes my Breakfast) shirts at the show so should be easy to spot in the crowd.

The Farmer's Co-op in Coweta has cheap feed, I usually buy there for I think it's $10.75 per 50 lb bag layer pellets. They won't do a bulk price they are very proud of their low price already. Lee's Feed near Catoosa is more, $13 something per bag, but we go through enough feed they are going to see what price they can get if we buy in bulk. We do buy dog food there though, they sell Victor at an amazing price. Lonny is in talks with them about a custom chicken feed blend, we'd like a higher protein than the regular 15%. Anyone near enough to me to want to go in on an order maybe? We have to get at least 1 ton. We could easily take half of that or more just not the whole ton!

Compare that to my local Atwoods, which is about $15-17 per bag- and the bags always seem to be half dust and more often than not buggy. I NEVER buy feed at Atwoods.

If you can buy from a mill that's your best bet for price. @khawdashhtchngs I did a Google search for "Oklahoma feed mill" and this place pulled up, are any of these distribution mills close to you? http://www.shawneemilling.com/feed/oklahoma.html
I buy at Atwoods and mix my own. Atwoods has a 13% or 14% all stock pellet for around $7.00/ 40# bag. Sometimes it's even cheaper. Since it's not a layer ration it lacks the calcium and other ingredients that go into the layer ration. I use it for the easy protein. I add game bird ration (cheaper than layer and has variety of grains), and whole oats to the mix. Our birds have large runs with plenty of grass, grit and bugs. But in the winter, when the grass is brown, I sometimes add alfalfa pellets to the feed mix. The birds don't seem to like the alfalfa much so this year I'm considering sprouting some oats instead. I refuse to pay the prices that Atwoods or even the feed stores want for their layer ration.

Well come on down! many of us wear our POOPS (People of Oklahoma Poultry Swap) shirts and BYC (My pet makes my Breakfast) shirts at the show so should be easy to spot in the crowd.
i have never been to such event (the show not the lunch. I've gone out for lunch before.) do we pay to get in? can we come look around or do we have to participate? i looked at the site but I'm not sure. and is the lunch on the 12th or the 13th?
celebrate.gif

(ill be wearing a shirt with "i have no idea whats going on". or maybe just write it on my forehead.)

Last edited:
Where are you? We buy at a local coop who bags their own feeds. Were paying $7 for 50lbs of layer meal and sometimes its cheaper than that because prices fluctuate with grain pricing. Check the coops in your area. Some sell mixes, some don't. We buy everything there except rabbit feed because our rabbits don't do well on their blend for some reason.

Which local co-op are you buying from?

Well come on down!   many of us wear our POOPS (People of Oklahoma Poultry Swap)  shirts and BYC  (My pet makes my Breakfast) shirts at the show so should be easy to spot in the crowd.

i have never been to such event (the show not the lunch. I've gone out for lunch before.) do we pay to get in? can we come look around or do we have to participate? i looked at the site but I'm not sure. and is the lunch on the 12th or the 13th? :celebrate  

(ill be wearing a shirt with "i have no idea whats going on". or maybe just write it on my forehead.)

You do not pay to come to the show. Parking is also free. You can look all you want. There are 2800 entries. Aisles with Breeds being judged will be temporarily blocked as a courtesy to the judges. There will also be a section set aside for birds for sale by the exhibitors. There will be some NICE birds for sale.
Lunch at Abuelito's is on Saturday the 13 th . You pay for your own lunch.

Back
Top Bottom