***OKIES in the BYC III ***

SharkmanDan...that truly is a puzzle. The reds do look like cock birds with those tail feathers, comb and wattles. Since your roosters are attempting to mount them instead of fronting them, I agree that appears more hen like. The beige is definitely a hen.
Have any of them attempted to lay an egg where you could find it?

First of all, Merry Christmas, to all!

Question, for the breed and gender experts.
On a nearly daily basis, I get three chickens that come-a-visiting, ostensibly, to chow down on the good feed that my chickens get, supplemented to their free range diet, of whatever feed grows naturally, on my little farm-ette.
I've tried running them off. I've tried to capture them, to no avail, and they just keep coming back. Yesterday, they were here before the sun was up. Today, they waited until just after I let my birds out for the day.
The three would be best described thusly. 2, are copper red colored. Like a bright, shiny copper penny, is the best my color blind eyes can see them as. These two appear to be nearly identical twins. Beautiful, prominent straight combs, LONG wattles, two long, curved, tail feathers, and have not yet begun to sprout spurs. EVERYTHING about them, screams "Rooster". With a couple of exceptions. They both have big, fluffy rumps, like a hen, and my roosters are not only not acting like these are "competition", all 3 of my roos, have at one time or another, tried to "mount" one, or the other. Both of these visitors act like hens, but look like roos. Capons, maybe? If so, why do none of the neighbors want to lay claim to them? I'd think, that if someone were to go to the bother of caponizing them, that they'd want to keep them in their flock. They might be a little skittish, but they both seem very docile and sweet.
The third visitor, is surely a hen. She is the most shy of the bunch. I can't seem to ever get a photo of her. She looks like a lighter colored version, of my Spanish Marraduna Basque hens, only lighter in color. She's very light beige, where mine are more of a dark beige, nearly tan, in color.
From looking at these photos, can anyone give me an idea, of what kind of "visitors" do I have, coming around here? Thoughts on gender? The one that I suspect is Marraduna Basque, is much lighter, than seen in the photo.

I'm gonna say those reds are roosters. :oops: I've heard of roosters mounting other roosters as a dominance thing tho I've never actually seen it.

Hope everyone is having a happy christmas. We've had fun but we do our big Christmas when my stepson is here Friday night/Saturday morning.

Kids painted these for their grandma:

Super easy and fun, and they look classy too ;)

Last edited:
SharkmanDan...that truly is a puzzle.  The reds do look like cock birds with those tail feathers, comb and wattles.  Since your roosters are attempting to mount them instead of fronting them, I agree that appears more hen like.  The beige is definitely a hen.
Have any of them attempted to lay an egg where you could find it?

Heck, I'm barely seeing any eggs, from my own hens. No, definitely no eggs anywhere around, that they had access to. I still think the Reds are roosters, likely New Hampshires. But, it does still seem strange, that they are so friendly, not only with each other, but that they don't seem to be thought of as a "threat" to my roosters. They are either very young, or capons. Their spurs are almost non-existent. Though I did get these photos, about an hour ago, and the two (assumed to be) males, have very differently colored shanks. One very yellow, like a pullet, the other more beige/gray, like an older chicken. The one I believe to be a Marraduna Basque, is seen a bit better here, also.

I should add, that if they ARE capons, they must have had the genetics for MAGNIFICENT combs and wattles, because they are beautiful, now. And, considering that caponizing will cause them to shrink, greatly, they would have to have had some HUGE combs/wattles, before the deed were done.

Last edited:
Heck, I'm barely seeing any eggs, from my own hens. No, definitely no eggs anywhere around, that they had access to. I still think the Reds are roosters, likely New Hampshires. But, it does still seem strange, that they are so friendly, not only with each other, but that they don't seem to be thought of as a "threat" to my roosters. They are either very young, or capons. Their spurs are almost non-existent. Though I did get these photos, about an hour ago, and the two (assumed to be) males, have very differently colored shanks. One very yellow, like a pullet, the other more beige/gray, like an older chicken. The one I believe to be a Marraduna Basque, is seen a bit better here, also.

I should add, that if they ARE capons, they must have had the genetics for MAGNIFICENT combs and wattles, because they are beautiful, now. And, considering that caponizing will cause them to shrink, greatly, they would have to have had some HUGE combs/wattles, before the deed were done.

That plumage sure is rooish, but the stance and undercarriage look hennish. It's like Frankenstein's chicken... the top is a roo and the bottom is a hen.

Yes, rooster tails and wattles but their stances are so hen-like. I have a young Cochin bird that acts like a pullet and wasn't in all the dominance play when I put them all together in their new pen. It has a rather large comb and wattle for an hen but a low and rounded tail like a hen. But, even more puzzling, it hase pointed feathers on its tail and hackles?

Broody in the Winter!

I have a small flock of 7 girls and 1 boy. They are not even a year old yet (born April 2014), but 3 of the pullets have decided to go broody! One cream leg bar, one cochin, and one cochin mix. I don't know what to do. Why do they think the middle of winter is a good time to go broody? I don't know if I should just leave them or give them some eggs to sit on. Right now, they are all three piled on top of each other in my nest boxes. Can they even raise chicks in the middle of the winter?

If I do give them some eggs, I guess I need to build a separate brooder? Can it be in the garage? Do I just let them out once a day to eat, etc? Is it ok to just leave them as is and just keep taking the eggs? Help!

Michiele

Broody in the Winter!

I have a small flock of 7 girls and 1 boy. They are not even a year old yet (born April 2014), but 3 of the pullets have decided to go broody! One cream leg bar, one cochin, and one cochin mix. I don't know what to do. Why do they think the middle of winter is a good time to go broody? I don't know if I should just leave them or give them some eggs to sit on. Right now, they are all three piled on top of each other in my nest boxes. Can they even raise chicks in the middle of the winter?

If I do give them some eggs, I guess I need to build a separate brooder? Can it be in the garage? Do I just let them out once a day to eat, etc? Is it ok to just leave them as is and just keep taking the eggs? Help!

Michiele
Hi Michiele. I haven't been on for a while. Welcome to Okie style BYC.I had four broodie hens and haven't had a problem yet. I had two born yesterday, so I'm going to candle the eggs to see if they're good. My c/w ctoss hatched 10 out of 12, the other two were yolkers.So for the last week I've had a few chicks born everyday and mama's are doing good.
@Kassaundra I have my first two Abraham chicks
yesss.gif
jumpy.gif
. The two that were yolkers, were from hens bred to him. I have a showgirl in the house setting on more of his eggs.
Anyway, I give them eggs if they feel like they want to be mama's. I had two more go broodya few days ago. one on Christmas eve One yesterday, and now it looks like my buff showgirl is trying to set. It depends on the hen when it comes to deciding how many eggs to give. I try not to give too many unless I know the hen can cover them and will b a good mama. I have several pure bred eggs right now and am trying to decide if some are to old. I've head a lot of varying opinions on that subject. Anyway, that's just me. I feel like what if I didn't and I lost the hen?
hide.gif
I'm a chickenholic and really love them. Last year when we had such freezing temps, my hens did fine. I just make sure food and water are close for them so the eggs don't get cold. So most of the time, they just get off to poop and stretch their legs for a minute. I put them in cages w/ heat lamps once the chicks hatch. It makes me feel better and that way they don't have to stay under mama as much and can fill up on food. But yes, your garage will work fine. When it's warm . I usually just keep them in a cage until they seem strong and they live in the coop w/ the others. They do have a little house they can run under if someone gets nasty.

TS/TV chickens? In Oklahoma, no less?

God doesn't make mistakes, so you march out there and tell them you'll love them no matter what! For eggs or for soup.

I woke up this morning to find sweet little Juliette had passed over the chicken bridge. I knew it was coming because she hadn't been eating and she was losing feathers. She had finally been taking on more adult qualities and I was afraid she wouldn't survive laying, so I'm thinking that maybe her body had reached a point where it was time for her to let go. Stubborn little girl, she surprised me with her resilience, and I'll miss her sweet demeanor.

I have six jumbo eggs in the bator. I had put them in there so Juliette would hopefully have babies to cuddle, since that always seemed to make her happy. Lord knows I didn't want chicks inside over the winter, but for Juliette I was making an exception. Odd thing is, my laying CL, Lena, hadn't laid an egg in a month until three days ago, and on a whim I popped it in the bator with the others. If I get a little girl out of it I'll name her Julie.

Had to edit to say that when I went out to feed the flock, I found a Lena egg on the floor of the coop. She never lays in the coop, and it wasn't there last night so she had to have gotten up first thing this morning to lay it. I thanked her for what was an amazingly touching present. And yes, it went into the bator too. I'm such a sentimental dork.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom