***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Oh, I've been busy! But somehow, it doesn't feel like I'm getting anything done. Lol. I hope everyone is ready for the holidays and feeling better, healthy.

@ashtree, I finally got my Tolbunt Polish eggs TODAY. I've been in contact with him, and his hens just plain ol' slowed down. So, I had him send me what he had and then he added a few other breeds--Silkie, Barnevelder, and Breda. We'll see what I end up with.

The Jubilees are still laying like crazy. I have a few set to hatch in a week, several more the next week and then I set a large group today. Fertility is still an issue. I'm used to 100%. I don't know how long it will take to get them there (if ever). But I do know it gets better every week.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

i have been thinking about quail also, i guess Coturnix quail is about the best production quail? i think would like to get started in quail also. i have been looking at king pigeons, coturnix quail, and jumbo ringneck phesants. trying to decides which ones will be the better production bird or birds.

We have been putting birds in the freezer, hatching more and collecting eggs. The co turnip are our first quail and we are very pleased. Fertility has dropped for the winter but egg production is still strong. Getting ready to reserve breeders and butcher another batch.

Oh, I've been busy! But somehow, it doesn't feel like I'm getting anything done. Lol. I hope everyone is ready for the holidays and feeling better, healthy.

@ashtree, I finally got my Tolbunt Polish eggs TODAY. I've been in contact with him, and his hens just plain ol' slowed down. So, I had him send me what he had and then he added a few other breeds--Silkie, Barnevelder, and Breda. We'll see what I end up with.

The Jubilees are still laying like crazy. I have a few set to hatch in a week, several more the next week and then I set a large group today. Fertility is still an issue. I'm used to 100%. I don't know how long it will take to get them there (if ever). But I do know it gets better every week.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

We celebrated Christmas with the girls on Sunday. Grandchildren were disappointed it was too muddy to feed the birds.
Chicks are hatching...Delaware Bantam.

Will guineas make a dent in chigger populations? I'm planning on getting guineas this spring to help rid us of ticks but the blackberries here are really covered in chiggers. I'd love it if guineas ate those too
Maybe to some extent. I've read lots of positive stuff, but my experience hasn't been all that great. The old males can get mean with the chickens too. They made me so angry because of their continual harassment of the other poultry.
I don't know about the chiggers, we always had them as long as there is green grass, but I've seen guineas covered with ticks, but not the bantams. My bantams are continuously after bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by our 5acre farm

Has anyone had or have any experience raising jumbo ringneck peasants for meat? If so is it worth it? Any info would be great, thank you
263a.png

I REALLY want to try this, at some point. But, I've been told that there is a theory, that pheasants don't survive well, in areas, where chiggers thrive. I have chiggers, and pheasant is expensive. So, as I get more established, and ready to take on new projects, I might try raising both Ringneck Pheasant and Quail. Until I get a bit better at all of this, and more experience, I'm hoping to hear more from others, trying similarly.
Years ago I had a few jumbo pheasants. They were MUCH easier to raise than the regular ring necks.
yesss.gif
They were tame and ran free range with my chickens.
D.gif
They would follow me to in the garden and eat grasshoppers like a child eats candy.
clap.gif
The biggest problem I had was the hawks liked them better than chicken.
barnie.gif
I think I may want some more this spring if I can find some.
yippiechickie.gif

Christmas is almost here!

My layers had a great time free-ranging this morning. They're all looking a little on the plump side, but I guess that's okay for winter.

The Penedesenca hens I got at auction are looking much better. They are proof that adequate space to move around and access to grass can turn a sad hen into a happy, productive hen. I'd dropped my phone into a leaf pile, so the weird ghosty thing in the background is a combination of water and leaf schmeff.

This is what happens when you give a hen a pancake : ) Robin - Shasta is a doll. She's in the middle of the pecking order in the layer flock. She looks lovely in her winter coat.

@Pollo Loco She is looking great! So good to see her fitting in like that!

Busy here as usual and having a relaxed Christmas

Hope everyone has a blessed Christmas!

Last edited:
i have been thinking about quail also, i guess Coturnix quail is about the best production quail? i think would like to get started in quail also. i have been looking at king pigeons, coturnix quail, and jumbo ringneck phesants. trying to decides which ones will be the better production bird or birds.

The Coturnix quail are great, they lay like mad, hatch like popcorn, grow and mature in 7 weeks. Surprises me every time they start laying as I can't believe they are old enough yet.
The Pheasants take a great deal more time to mature and grow to a good size, but the meat is outstanding. I am unsure of Pigeons as I have never messed with them.

Back
Top Bottom