***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I REALLY want to try this, at some point. But, I've been told that there is a theory, that pheasants don't survive well, in areas, where chiggers thrive. I have chiggers, and pheasant is expensive. So, as I get more established, and ready to take on new projects, I might try raising both Ringneck Pheasant and Quail. Until I get a bit better at all of this, and more experience, I'm hoping to hear more from others, trying similarly.

Idea...

Get a flock of guineas first, and let them free range in the area where you'll put your pheasant pens for a summer or two. Once you put the pens in, let the guineas continue to forage around them.

Idea...

Get a flock of guineas first, and let them free range in the area where you'll put your pheasant pens for a summer or two. Once you put the pens in, let the guineas continue to forage around them.

Will guineas make a dent in chigger populations? I'm planning on getting guineas this spring to help rid us of ticks but the blackberries here are really covered in chiggers. I'd love it if guineas ate those too

Last edited:
I think they must, as we very rarely have chiggers.

Have no experience raising pheasants, but had a wonderful meal at a friend's house Wednesday--Both grilled pheasant and grilled quail!

Will guineas make a dent in chigger populations? I'm planning on getting guineas this spring to help rid us of ticks but the blackberries here are really covered in chiggers. I'd love it if guineas ate those too

I only have seven guineas so far, and noticed a significant reduction in all the standard buzzing, biting annoyances this last summer. I even noticed fewer ticks on the dogs.

If anyone is interested I have a group of 20 Breeder Jumbo quail and a good number of Bantam hens I need to cut loose. Feel free to call.

NanaKat.
Olaf turned out great.

After the flu bug last week, now I have a kidney stone. The kids are fixing to have to string popcorn if they want tree decorations. Its setting in the living room bare. I'm out for the count and still have knitting projects to finish. Ugh.

If anyone is interested I have a group of 20 Breeder Jumbo quail and a good number of Bantam hens I need to cut loose. Feel free to call.

NanaKat.
 Olaf turned out great.

Thanks Carl...it was a challenging project that was enjoyable too.
Any Columbian OEGB hens?
Man those quail are egg laying machines! I'm making all kinds of pickled eggs!

i have been thinking about quail also, i guess Coturnix quail is about the best production quail? i think would like to get started in quail also. i have been looking at king pigeons, coturnix quail, and jumbo ringneck phesants. trying to decides which ones will be the better production bird or birds.

Back
Top Bottom