***OKIES in the BYC III ***

@Pollo Loco She is looking great! So good to see her fitting in like that!

Busy here as usual and having a relaxed Christmas

Hope everyone has a blessed Christmas!

This is a lovely picture
love.gif

Christmas is almost here!

My layers had a great time free-ranging this morning. They're all looking a little on the plump side, but I guess that's okay for winter.

The Penedesenca hens I got at auction are looking much better. They are proof that adequate space to move around and access to grass can turn a sad hen into a happy, productive hen. I'd dropped my phone into a leaf pile, so the weird ghosty thing in the background is a combination of water and leaf schmeff.

This is what happens when you give a hen a pancake : ) Robin - Shasta is a doll. She's in the middle of the pecking order in the layer flock. She looks lovely in her winter coat.

I love fluffy hens. The Mixed Orpington pullets I got in Coweta are soooo fluffy. They started laying in October and lay big eggs already.

Last edited:
Thanks Carl...it was a challenging project that was enjoyable too.
Any Columbian OEGB hens?
Man those quail are egg laying machines! I'm making all kinds of pickled eggs!

I could let a very nice Columbian OE breeder hen loose, it wont hurt me a bit.
Most of these pullets are Birchen, Silver Blue Rosecombs that did not put in much of an earlobe. I also have a Trio of SilverDuckwing Rosecombs

Thanks Carl...it was a challenging project that was enjoyable too.

Any Columbian OEGB hens?

Man those quail are egg laying machines! I'm making all kinds of pickled eggs!

I could let a very nice Columbian OE breeder hen loose, it wont hurt me a bit.
 Most of these pullets are Birchen, Silver Blue Rosecombs that did not put in much of an earlobe. I also have a Trio of SilverDuckwing Rosecombs

Wonderful! Will see you Saturday as we discussed...unless you want to meet up on Friday. It finally dawned on me that you said you were off until Monday. You know about us old age women .....

Whatever works best for you is fine with me. I am cutting several birds loose getting into breeding season heavier and keeping only the cream. There are some good ones im cutting loose.

Merry Christmas Eve!

Free rangers caught a mouse today. I heard the squabble over whom the mouse belonged to, and then the thief shot past me and disappeared into the barn.

One of my Saipan Jungle Fowl hens stomped her feet and demanded I take back the mouse. She wasn't the bird who caught the mouse, but she was still insistent. She's pushy when it comes to food. I've never seen her step aside at the food dish.

The piggies enjoyed some holiday leftovers. I need to measure their girths so that I can judge if I'm feeding them too much. I don't want them to become lethargic and overweight.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, and a prosperous and happy New Year.

~ Poco

First of all, Merry Christmas, to all!

Question, for the breed and gender experts.
On a nearly daily basis, I get three chickens that come-a-visiting, ostensibly, to chow down on the good feed that my chickens get, supplemented to their free range diet, of whatever feed grows naturally, on my little farm-ette.
I've tried running them off. I've tried to capture them, to no avail, and they just keep coming back. Yesterday, they were here before the sun was up. Today, they waited until just after I let my birds out for the day.
The three would be best described thusly. 2, are copper red colored. Like a bright, shiny copper penny, is the best my color blind eyes can see them as. These two appear to be nearly identical twins. Beautiful, prominent straight combs, LONG wattles, two long, curved, tail feathers, and have not yet begun to sprout spurs. EVERYTHING about them, screams "Rooster". With a couple of exceptions. They both have big, fluffy rumps, like a hen, and my roosters are not only not acting like these are "competition", all 3 of my roos, have at one time or another, tried to "mount" one, or the other. Both of these visitors act like hens, but look like roos. Capons, maybe? If so, why do none of the neighbors want to lay claim to them? I'd think, that if someone were to go to the bother of caponizing them, that they'd want to keep them in their flock. They might be a little skittish, but they both seem very docile and sweet.
The third visitor, is surely a hen. She is the most shy of the bunch. I can't seem to ever get a photo of her. She looks like a lighter colored version, of my Spanish Marraduna Basque hens, only lighter in color. She's very light beige, where mine are more of a dark beige, nearly tan, in color.
From looking at these photos, can anyone give me an idea, of what kind of "visitors" do I have, coming around here? Thoughts on gender? The one that I suspect is Marraduna Basque, is much lighter, than seen in the photo.

Back
Top Bottom