***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Question- I have one of the chicks (born Nov 15) loosing blood. I have picked them up and inspected for injury. I don't see anything. It is staining the wood chips but doesn't seem to be stool like. I have fed medicated crumbles since day one. Could it be cocci?

i'd sure treat them all for cocci- the med crumble build an immunity, but they can still get it, so the whole group needs to be treated

Going back to read and catch up, but wanted to post pictures of our new project calf....Little Joe.
Our neighbor Joe had a cow calve three weeks ago. As an older cow, her bag has been deteriorating and only gives a small amount of milk for the calf. When Roger went to help band the calf, he told Joe that he thought he would need to supplement the calf's milk. Since Joe lives in the city and visits his herd 2 - 3 times a week, he thought the mother was meeting the calf's needs. Then yesterday, he really looked at the calf and under it's heavy coat were ribs and back bones and the beginnings of scours. Afraid the calf would die of starvation, he told me he would give me the calf in hopes I could help it survive.
Yesterday, Little Joe had to be tied to help hold him while I introduced him to a bottle. I had to tube the poor thing because he didn't have the strength to suck for more than a few minutes on a bottle. That first bottle had antibiotics and colostrum from our freezer even though he was three weeks old. He needed the boost. The next feeding, Little Joe consumed about 3 cups of formula and the next feeding he was up to 4 cups. I was giving him a little more milk than he was getting from the mother, but not too much...I didn't want to over-fill him.
Then this morning, after a night without feeding, Little Joe aggressively sucked and got down 3.5 pints! At noon, another 4 pints and he did not have to be forced to take the bottle. At 5 Little Joe did not have to be tied and found the nipple of the bottle on his own with no help. I was actually able to sit on a bucket and hold the bottle in one hand. He took 3.5 pints. He gets another bottle at 10:30.
Today he had probably consumed twice what he got from his mother! He is going to be okay.
And No, Little Joe is not in the Kitchen like Norman from last December. Little Joe has a nice stall full of straw and a heat lamp.

Red helped clean Little Joe's face and in the next picture you can see his bony hip bones.

Alright brilliant Okies, help! Sunshine, my orp boy, who is a sweet and cuddly and wonderful darling, has picked up something from wild birds. I first noticed a rasp, then a gurgle, and now he's gaping on inhale and squawking every few breaths. His poop is fine. Four days ago I brought him in and started him on Tylan 200, 5ml 2x/day. I saw no improvement, he actually seemed to be getting worse, so yesterday I supplemented with doxytetracycline med feed.

I've been trying to let them get better on their own to build immunity, but I really like this boy. Should I be using a different antibiotic?

Raspberries do not like a lot of direct sun, especially afternoon hot sun, they grow as underbrush, they like dappled sun, morning sun, afternoon shade is a MUST.   They like lots of mulch, generally growing in wooded areas that would naturally accumulate lots of leaf mulch.

That's exactly where I put them, off in the underbrush that I never tend, so it's heavily and naturally mulched. With luck I'll see some comebacks come spring, but I'll hedge my bets on that and plant more. You can never have too many raspberries come canning season, right?

Working on making a sweater into an outfit for Rudy, instead of the 2T sizes I have been working with this one is a bigger child's sweater, I am using one 1/2 (front) of the main sweater body as his tunic, then taking the two arms and making a set of pants and sleeves.  The sweater I am working with right now is pink and white, but if this works I have a wool dark green one I will modify for him, a little more manly and hoping a little warmer since it is wool
good idea. I want to make scarves for my two Showgirl girls. I put a small light in their coop. They were both in there today at 2:30 when I checked on everyone. The Showgirl too doesn't seem to be as bothered by the cold. Everybody got warm oatmeal with veggies and yogurt this morning - very popular
Rl

Thanks! We think so too!
He gave us a scare (and some experience that might be useful in the future) at a Texas show a few weeks ago. Here is a picture of Cheyenne showing him. In hindsight, you can already see the beginning of bloat. By the time we were setting them up for dinner (before our dinner...we weren't leaving just yet) only an hour or two later, it became apparent that he was in distress. Plus he looked like a ball in the middle. Several hours later, a quart of vegetable oil, some messy helpers, a quick drive to the supermarket for baking soda, cold banquet (for us - in shifts), and many hundreds of yards walked, ran, jumped and spurted about in the arena... making Spook and his partner cow move. We threw another animal into the empty arena with him so as to use the 'herd' dynamic to get him to move. It got very old trying to move him around fast enough on a lead. Thank goodness my daughter was up to the task and I was able to grab a bite to eat, and go to the store for the baking soda. By the end of it all...Spook looked his normal self and was feeling much better.

Now we know what to look for, and what to do if it happens again!
We got lucky. Had we left the site for dinner and just put them all up (without paying enough attention) we could have come back in the morning to a dead animal.
Spook is a very lucky boy!

Also, Nanakat, there's one you gave me that I was really hoping would make it, but I don't think they did. I can't remember the name, though, and it's driving me nuts!
The extrasthat I remember sticking in were perennial ageratum (rootrunners), beebalm (tiny plants that smelled like citrus), white violets (bulbous roots), Jeruleslem artichokes (tubers). All of these die back in winter and come back. The beebalm comes back from seeds.

Question- I have one of the chicks (born Nov 15) loosing blood. I have picked them up and inspected for injury. I don't see anything. It is staining the wood chips but doesn't seem to be stool like. I have fed medicated crumbles since day one. Could it be cocci?

Medicated feed is not enough to treat coccidiosis, remove the medicated feed provide the birds with corrid in the water. Bloody stools are a dead give away for the problem.

Nanakat,
your new calf looks a good deal the size of my unexpected new arrival. A vet check back in Aug says she wasn't bred but nature proved him wrong. At least the cow has two good teats and set in a decent amount of milk. I may still need to supplement but will know for sure in a few days. I have to go down to Stratford tomorrow to check on the other two cows I sent to friend to have bred to his bull since they were not bred either based on the same vet exam.

Hello everyone! I got a pm today congratulating me on my 7 year anniversary with the BYC! I don't imagine I know most of the posters these days, but I'm glad to see the Okies of the BYC is going strong. I miss chickening, it was a great deal of fun with good people. If any of the old posters are still around, send me a pm!

Happy holidays everyone!

Cammie
Oklahoma Rain Photography

Alright brilliant Okies, help! Sunshine, my orp boy, who is a sweet and cuddly and wonderful darling, has picked up something from wild birds. I first noticed a rasp, then a gurgle, and now he's gaping on inhale and squawking every few breaths. His poop is fine. Four days ago I brought him in and started him on Tylan 200, 5ml 2x/day. I saw no improvement, he actually seemed to be getting worse, so yesterday I supplemented with doxytetracycline med feed.

I've been trying to let them get better on their own to build immunity, but I really like this boy. Should I be using a different antibiotic?
That's exactly where I put them, off in the underbrush that I never tend, so it's heavily and naturally mulched. With luck I'll see some comebacks come spring, but I'll hedge my bets on that and plant more. You can never have too many raspberries come canning season, right?

If you want an aggressive antibiotic for respiratory- try Denagard. Has to be mail ordered I haven't found it locally. I have some if you want to come pick it up sometime, or I can maybe meet you around lunchtime on Friday in Tulsa? That may be too late for your boy though. :( That's a REALLY high dose on the Tylan, I was told max dose was 1/4 CC 3x daily or 3/4 CC total of the Tylan 200, for 5-7 days. Tylan 50 is 1/4 the strength, so max dose is 3 CC daily, split up as you can. If it isn't helping then it's not going to help and it's time to switch gears.

Let me know. PM me if you've lost my phone number.

Back
Top Bottom