***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Does anyone have muskovy chicks or fertile eggs?

Not yet- but if I find a stash of eggs or one of my hens sneaks off and hatches out some chicks you can have some of my Chocolate Muskovies!

He sure would if he thought it would get him out of clothes.
lau.gif

Okay a few pictures...not chicken related

Our first White faced calf this season and calves playing King of the Mountain on a hill by the pond...closely supervised by their mothers of course. The winner was the only red calf we have. That is the house and barns in the background....

Little Joe is now in the back pasture with some calves his age. I take him his bottle bucket morning and evening. And there is a creep feeder behind him that all 16 calves visit frequently. We are hoping he gets the idea. He is now a little over 3 months of age and growing nicely.
The white face cow is beautiful! Here are some calves we've had lately...

This little man got snatched just to make sure that he had some good stuff into him during his first 24 hours. We couldn't bring mom in (which was our strategy last year) and her teats milked down to small enough to get worked by a calf. So now we will be checking on him daily. He has a better start (unassisted) than the 2012 and 2013 calves.

We hear these guys all the time from the house- but this is the first that we've ever seen one!

Hi everyone. I know it's been forever since I've been on here. It says I have 576 unread posts, but it's more than that, becarse I skimmed through for awhile. Anyway, I was wondering, those of you who use Eprinex, what is the dosage? I have lice and I think even some mites. It would be great if it wormed and got rid of the pests all at once. If memory serves me right, someone mentioned that it did. My computer is really messing up, so I need to post before it says snap. I hope all af you are doing well. I'm going to try to get back on, now that I think I have some extra time. May God Bless and Keep you all.

Well I just had my first experience with mites. I dusted the entire coop and nestboxes with Sevin dust and threw a lot on the chickens. I plan on cleaning out the bedding this weekend. I have a lot of pyrethrin dip concentrate should I use that too? Ivermectin? What else can I do? I was trying to do the deep litter method so the bedding is a thick amount if hay and shavings from before winter I just kept adding more

Last edited:
Well I just had my first experience with mites. I dusted the entire coop and nestboxes with Sevin dust and threw a lot on the chickens. I plan on cleaning out the bedding this weekend. I have a lot of pyrethrin dip concentrate should I use that too? Ivermectin? What else can I do? I was trying to do the deep litter method so the bedding is a thick amount if hay and shavings from before winter I just kept adding more
There are a lot of different ways people treat for mites and other pest insects and my own opinion esp if using the deep litter method is to use chemicals as little as possible as it will stay in your bedding and if you use the old bedding it in a food garden later it can transfer where it may kill off earthworms you'd want to keep,

I use DE (Diatomaceous Earth) and plenty of it, it is pretty much harmless to the worms as far as I know in damp soil but in the surface of the litter, on roost poles, in the nest boxes it will kill mites, ants and most any insect that gets in it, Just make sure you buy the "Food Grade"
I always make a place for the chickens to dust bathe in it or just add it to the areas where they make their own, Other than a couple of chickens that were fresh from a sale once I've never had mites on my birds, the sale birds were clear of them when I placed them in with the other chickens a couple weeks later and all I used was DE.

Bill (Stony Creek Farms) has a good video on how he does his coops I couldn't find the link it's been a while but maybe he (or someone) can repost it perhaps,

DE is safe as long as you don't breathe in the dust, I drink a teaspoon of it in water to help with joint pain and other things daily when I remember to LOL it kinda tastes like dirt but isn't bad and it helps, Lots of good info on the web and here on BYC also, If you are coming through or are close to Purcell I can give you enough to use I have a half of a 50 lbs bag left and no birds at the moment so can spare it :)

this is how i use ivermec- i hate mites!

dust with poultry dust, clear out coop, saturate it with permethrin spray, all nooks and crannies, let air dry, powder nest boxes with poultry dust, add new litter back in, put drops(It is Ivermectin liquid (NOT the horse wormer paste). It is the kind for cattle & swine and is off label for poultry. 1cc for standards and .5 cc for bantams, in the wingpit is a good place, not on the feathers as the ivomec with soak into the feathers . Repeat in 10 days to catch any eggs that have hatched. I got about a 6-8 oz. bottle at TSC and it lasted a long time. Get a syringe with a big needle(only for measuring), too. Those little insulin needles are too fine to get anything out of the bottle.), on the birds and problem is solved. Use the concentrate permethrin $7 for 8 ounces, you add 1 ounce of that to a spray bottle of water, spray the coop thoroughly and let it air out.

Last edited:
There are a lot of different ways people treat for mites and other pest insects and my own opinion esp if using the deep litter method is to use chemicals as little as possible as it will stay in your bedding and if you use the old bedding it in a food garden later it can transfer where it may kill off earthworms you'd want to keep,

I use DE (Diatomaceous Earth) and plenty of it, it is pretty much harmless to the worms as far as I know in damp soil but in the surface of the litter, on roost poles, in the nest boxes it will kill mites, ants and most any insect that gets in it, Just make sure you buy the "Food Grade"
I always make a place for the chickens to dust bathe in it or just add it to the areas where they make their own, Other than a couple of chickens that were fresh from a sale once I've never had mites on my birds, the sale birds were clear of them when I placed them in with the other chickens a couple weeks later and all I used was DE.

Bill (Stony Creek Farms) has a good video on how he does his coops I couldn't find the link it's been a while but maybe he (or someone) can repost it perhaps,

DE is safe as long as you don't breathe in the dust, I drink a teaspoon of it in water to help with joint pain and other things daily when I remember to LOL it kinda tastes like dirt but isn't bad and it helps, Lots of good info on the web and here on BYC also, If you are coming through or are close to Purcell I can give you enough to use I have a half of a 50 lbs bag left and no birds at the moment so can spare it :)

That is so nice of you to offer your DE. I may message you about it. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom