***OKIES in the BYC III ***

You know, EVERYONE has been complaining the mites and lice have been BAD this winter- even people who normally don't have a problem with them. I treated all the adults a few weeks ago but missed the grow coop- checked them last weekend and they were CRAWLING. Ick! Even found some on some 5 week old brooder chicks in the shed- no idea HOW that happened unless I accidentally transferred them to the chicks during regular chicken chores!

I personally can't beat scaley leg mites. Since we moved out here it has been a non stop battle. Of course after we moved and got settled the seller told me this place was full of them. Uhhhh. And my husband is adamantly against any chemical use here. I'm exhausted by treatment so much so that I GAVE AWAY some bantam hens (full disclosure on leg mites) and was planning to sell some extra silkie hens but probably have to give them away too. I just can't beat it. I've tried gasoline, vegetable oil, petroleum jelly, coconut oil. It's awful. Ok. Rant over.

Last edited:
I personally can't beat scaley leg mites. Since we moved out here it has been a non stop battle. Of course after we moved and got settled the seller told me this place was full of them. Uhhhh. And my husband is adamantly against any chemical use here. I'm exhausted by treatment so much so that I GAVE AWAY some bantam hens (full disclosure on leg mites) and was planning to sell some extra silkie gens but probably have to give them away too. I just can't beat it. I've tried gasoline, vegetable oil, petroleum jelly, coconut oil. It's awful. Ok. Rant over.
My Grandmother used Mineral oil and Sulphur for those I have never had to deal with them on chickens but have used it in the ears of rabbits where it worked really well.

What are the symptoms for mites? My chickens free range pretty much every day when they aren't having " don't have your own unauthorized laying area" training. They get plenty of dust baths. I don't catch them to inspect them closely, but I haven't seen anything when I'm outside the coop and at eye level with their legs, etc.

What are the symptoms for mites? My chickens free range pretty much every day when they aren't having " don't have your own unauthorized laying area" training. They get plenty of dust baths. I don't catch them to inspect them closely, but I haven't seen anything when I'm outside the coop and at eye level with their legs, etc.

You'll need to catch them if you are checking for feather mites. Part the feathers and watch closely for buggies running from the light. Problem areas are under the neck, back of the head, under the wings, and under the vent. For leg mites, the scales will start to look raised and rough. Better to treat preventatively every six months IMO, once they have leg mites it takes FOREVER for their legs to heal back up.

A friend sent me a really funny video about a woman from Arkansas who gave CPR to a "dead" chicken" and appeared on Jay Leno's show. I don't know how to forward her email here. Can someone tell me?

Last edited:
I also use DE in my pens. When I clean them out well, I dig out about 6" of dirt and "stuff". I then liberally sprinkle DE in the pens and coops, then add new pine chips. My silkies used to get mites in their crests really badly, and I used 3 drops of Ivermectin on the backs of their necks, or sometimes directly on their crests. I've not had mites in several years. I'm always surprised when I bathe them for shows or to bring to someone, because there are NO mites or lice. I think you could drop Ivermectin directly on the scaly mites on their legs and have good results. Once I accidently tipped a bottle of Ivermectin over, and it directly soaked the head of about a two week old chick. It did not harm the chick.

A friend sent me a really funny video about a woman from Arkansas who gave CPR to a "dead" chicken" and appeared on Jay Leno's show. I don't know how to forward her email here. Can someone tell me?

Are you saying you want to share it here? If it was a link you need to click the "insert video" button next to the picture button and paste the youtube link there. If it was a website just copy and paste the website into a post. If she e-mailed the video directly to you, I'm guessing you would have to download it to your computer, upload it to youtube, and then attach a link in the same way.

I also use DE in my pens.  When I clean them out well, I dig out about 6" of dirt and "stuff".  I then liberally sprinkle DE in the pens and coops, then add new pine chips.  My silkies used to get mites in their crests really badly, and I used 3 drops of Ivermectin on the backs of their necks, or sometimes directly on their crests.  I've not had mites in several years.  I'm always surprised when I bathe them for shows or to bring to someone, because there are NO mites or lice.  I think you could drop Ivermectin directly on the scaly mites on their legs and have good results.  Once I accidently tipped a bottle of Ivermectin over, and it directly soaked the head of about a two week old chick.  It did not harm the chick.

Ivermectin the dewormer? I'm willing to try it. I'm sick of losing my battle. I'm also going to get some mineral oil, thanks @Elwood Lightfoot for the suggestion. I need all the help I can get!

Back
Top Bottom