***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I broke off some more she'll but it still isn't trying to come through the membrane. Had another that wasn't making progress and tried to help it. It looks shrink wrapped. The membrane is pulled away from the shell.. there's a pretty big gap. But when I was breaking off pieces of the shell I saw blood. I didn't see that i hit any veins but now I'm worried about that. This experiment hatch has been rough. No more dry hatches for me.

I read all the time about people even okies doing dry hatches and having such success, I won't even try, I fight shrink wrapping w/ the bator full of water, I don't know what everyone's secret is. I read on the brinsea thread all the time until it got to discouraging, everyone else's chicks just popping out while mine get stuck inside
barnie.gif
I just resigned myself to setting hatch days on my days off and am always prepared to spend the day "birthing" chicks.

I read all the time about people even okies doing dry hatches and having such success, I won't even try, I fight shrink wrapping w/ the bator full of water, I don't know what everyone's secret is.  I read on the brinsea thread all the time until it got to discouraging, everyone else's chicks just popping out while mine get stuck inside  :barnie   I just resigned myself to setting hatch days on my days off and am always prepared to spend the day "birthing" chicks.

I know what you mean! Try guineas! It seems like only 1 out of 5 doesn't need help!

Dry incubation was great! Set them and forget them. But from now on I will uo my humidity during lock down. Went to bed with 5 out and woke up to 11. The one I made bleed hatched on its own over night. But the one that pipped funny had to be rescued this morning because it was still stuck. Now I've got another that has pipped without progress from last night that I'll probably have to help too. They should almost be done.. thank goodness!!

We had rain last night in Sulphur and will be going to the Cherokee Museum today. My brother who lives in California was so thrilled to finally hear thunder after so many years away from Oklahoma.

I have checked in and left messages with my sweet hubby, but each time I've called he has been outside....taking care of cows, dogs and chickens can take up a lot of outdoor time. I'm hoping the rains last night filled our new pond but then the chicken pens would be pretty wet.

We tried to give the broodies chicks yesterday. Never have had a problem w/ them accepting chicks, but this batch of broodies weren't having any of it! Had one that w/I a couple of minutes of having the chicks under her stood up and literally ran screaming from the nest box and didn't come back for a couple of hours. It was soooooo funny, reminded me of giving the high schoolers the "real" baby doll to scare them about teen pregnancy.

Hatch is finally done. 17/23 that went into lockdown. Glad that's over with! Dry incubation is great. Set it and forget it but from now on I will add water when going into lockdown. Had to help half hatch because of shrink wrapping which I have never had an issue with before. I ended up with 2 olive eggers out of 4. 2 lavender orpingtons out of 3. 13 bantam cochins with the chance of some being frizzle. Waiting until this evening to try to give the broodies the babies. Really hoping all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom