***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDickey

For those on Facebook and within 50 miles of Tulsa, I have created a new group called Green Country Farm Swap. Any and all farm related things allowed. Great place to sell, trade or get advice. Please join.
smile.png

Guess that leaves me out.
hit.gif
I'm bout 90 miles out.
hide.gif

Guess that leaves me out. :hit  I'm bout 90 miles out. :oops:

Sorry! There's so many sites that seems like everyone on there is in the okc Midwest area. I wanted people close to me lol. The rules say you have to live in or pick up has to be within 50 miles, so if you're willing to travel you're welcome to join.

Well day one. I started the chicken tractor. I'm in over my head now lol!
I'm between Yukon and Mustang technically Okc...

I'm a ways from being done

Welcome to the BYC! I live in the Tryon, Agra, Perkins, Cushing area and have had chickens since last spring. I'm already addicted and performed my first ever "chicken math", which is the ONLY math I've ever liked :D

@NanaKat I am so glad you didn't get hurt during your muddy pen ordeal, but you sure made me giggle over my coffee. Quite sure it wasn't fun or funny at the time though *hugs*

Last edited:
This product:
[COLOR=333333]
oxytetracycline-hci-6-4oz-packet-14.jpg
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]These doses:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]800 mg = 1 tablespoon per gallon[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]400 mg = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]200 mg = 3/4 teaspoon per gallon[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]-Kathy[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Disclaimer - doses still need to be verified.[/COLOR]

This response actually belongs to the bottom quote, but I can't get my phone to consistently add pics & since you did I'm using yours. This ^^^^ IS the powder I used. It doesn't say who makes it, only that it's distributed by "Peak Marketing" out of Blue Springs, Mo., so no "brand name" to speak of..that I see.

:bow Thank you so much, that's about what I expected based on the various powders I have weighed. The one tablespoon amount you're giving is well within the recommended amount. How are they doing today?

One more favor, can you tell me what brand the powder is?

-Kathy

They are officially finished with treatment & all symptoms have ceased. They are foraging, frolicking, and basking in the dirt under my carport and back to creating gaping holes around the tractor! I'm very pleased! :)
Thank you so much for your help!

Howdy everybody! We've let our flock dwindle after neighbor dogs just about cleaned us out last year. Our pyranese are finally doing their job so I was wondering if anyone had a dozen or so birds (older are fine I need them for bug control more than eggs) for sale near Guthrie?

I have been moving pens around and I guess the birds are happy with the new changes. I put all my birds in 5'x10' dog pens on cement since my ground pens turned into 12" of mud and muck with the rains. The Marans were in with my layer hens and weren't laying much. When I put them in their own pen and put grass in their nest box they layed 2 eggs with in 4 hours.
I gave my Lavender Cochins a bigger mini coop in their pen and with in 3 hours they had layed 2 eggs too.

We bought two 5'x10's and atatched them together the long way, creating a 20'x5' length with two sections. My two existing dog pens are configured together 10"x5" with a 5'10" section  and a 10'x10' section - that big  pen has my layers and old favorites.
When we put the new pens together there was a 5' panel left. I put it in the middle of one of the 5'x10's to create two 5'x5's. I hinged the front panel of one of the 5'x5's to create a make-shift gate since the store said that ordering just one gate panel is $500.00! The entire pen kits are only $350.00! (The store explained that they would have to order individual pieces from China :rolleyes: ).
When I bought my first pens 6 years ago they were only $250.00. The whole set up has gotten expensive but DH said in the long run it is a good deal since we don't have a barn and pens can be resold. (He figures I will some day not have chickens, , I have had them for 7 years now). The set up is really easy for me to care for the birds and it does force me to keep only birds that I really want which also helps with keeping chores manageable.
   I now have my Marans, Chocolate Orps., Showgirls, Lavender Cochins and my pretty layers. But what about BLR Wyandottes and ....... There is room for one more pen on the cement...

I'm making a run 20x10 out of PVC. 2". It's costing about $250 minus the tarp I'll put on. I'm making it movable so I ca take it apart if I need to. And I'm almost finished with my new brooder.
1f60e.png
1f423.png

I have been moving pens around and I guess the birds are happy with the new changes. I put all my birds in 5'x10' dog pens on cement since my ground pens turned into 12" of mud and muck with the rains. The Marans were in with my layer hens and weren't laying much. When I put them in their own pen and put grass in their nest box they layed 2 eggs with in 4 hours.
I gave my Lavender Cochins a bigger mini coop in their pen and with in 3 hours they had layed 2 eggs too.

We bought two 5'x10's and atatched them together the long way, creating a 20'x5' length with two sections. My two existing dog pens are configured together 10"x5" with a 5'10" section  and a 10'x10' section - that big  pen has my layers and old favorites.
When we put the new pens together there was a 5' panel left. I put it in the middle of one of the 5'x10's to create two 5'x5's. I hinged the front panel of one of the 5'x5's to create a make-shift gate since the store said that ordering just one gate panel is $500.00! The entire pen kits are only $350.00! (The store explained that they would have to order individual pieces from China :rolleyes: ).
When I bought my first pens 6 years ago they were only $250.00. The whole set up has gotten expensive but DH said in the long run it is a good deal since we don't have a barn and pens can be resold. (He figures I will some day not have chickens, , I have had them for 7 years now). The set up is really easy for me to care for the birds and it does force me to keep only birds that I really want which also helps with keeping chores manageable.
   I now have my Marans, Chocolate Orps., Showgirls, Lavender Cochins and my pretty layers. But what about BLR Wyandottes and ....... There is room for one more pen on the cement...

I'm making a run 20x10 out of PVC. 2". It's costing about $250 minus the tarp I'll put on. I'm making it movable so I ca take it apart if I need to. And I'm almost finished with my new brooder.
1f60e.png
1f423.png

I was able to keep my pvc run from lifting and tumbling by using cement blocks wired to the bottom pipe at the corners. You might need a few more. Oklahoma winds can come up quickly.

A few pictures...Minerva Minorca still lays an egg a day at 7 years old. Chicks in the brooder ...two Seramas, three Col OEGB and in front I think it is a Duckwing

Miranda's chicks are exploring and the rooster is calling them to the feeder....there were some chest bumping and attempts to fly going on too. Later in the day, she took her brood outside to the water can and they were dustbathing in the sand pile.
Dead rat snake from the garden!

And my mud repair in progress...a load of sand for the pens...extra brick and some landscape timbers turn ....

Turn this kind of muddy pen with green scum on the soil...

to this. Will need to smooth the sand around more, but the coop is now sitting on landscape timbers and brick so that the ground level is raised both inside and out. tossed ag lime on the ground before spreading the sand so the odor is much improved. And the buildings need a good coat of white paint too.

Back
Top Bottom