***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Trying the hen saddle again, only this time we stretched the elastic that goes under the wings around to the front and secured them with safety pins, and one pin under the tail. Had one bleeding this morning from the bald spot, so I didn't see a better option. Hope they aren't too tight around them. They are hiding in the coop on the roost trying to get them off right now.

Spray the bald spot with bluekote wound spray. You can find it at Atwoods. It will keep other from pecking the area by camouflaging the redness.

Where do I get bluekote? They spent almost the entire day on the roosts even when I brought treats. I guess they were stressed or humiliated, maybe both. I'll see what they do tomorrow. If they're still too mopey to come out, I'll try the bluekote. I know I need to buy them a few weeks until their feathers grow back in.

They decided to come out today. Here they are with their stylish Levi's denim jackets. Lol! The photo bombers are my Buff Orpington gals. A couple of them kept the hiding girls company on the roost yesterday. Probably helped.

Where do I get bluekote? They spent almost the entire day on the roosts even when I brought treats. I guess they were stressed or humiliated, maybe both. I'll see what they do tomorrow. If they're still too mopey to come out, I'll try the bluekote. I know I need to buy them a few weeks until their feathers grow back in.

Atwoods. In the animal first aid section.

Getting ready for the cold snap coming by making sure I have a full set of winter clothes for the 3 nakeds. I am making a new sleeve design too that is insulated. I found some batting w/ mylar embeded in it, it is suppose to reflect the heat back, so I'm lining the new sleeves w/ it.

@Poco Pollo
I got a few pics of Tank 1 and Tank 2 today, my two as yet stingy (egg wise) cross gals. I also weighed them, but I don't have as accurate a scale as digital. Tank 1 was between 14 and 15 lbs, Tank 2 was just a hair over 10. They hatched on May 1 of this year and are very active still.

Tank 1

Tank 2

My mom finally got her first egg yesterday, likely from Jinx, the runty Barred Rock I gave her before her sisters got taken by predator. She is well over 30 weeks old, very slow to mature. She called me and told me it was an extra large egg, said it's the most expensive egg she'd ever had, and we laughed and laughed. Good stuff!

Saw a couple of possums in our yard at night so decided to set the trap. Next morning found a possum dead in the yard. Looked like it had been attacked from behind, some fur was pulled off, and a few bites (about half dollar size bites) were taken from the middle of it. No evidence of what it's attacker was. Live on one acre in suburbs and wondering if anyone has any idea of what could have killed it.

Hopefully whatever it was was just passing by, and wondering if we should leave our trap out and set. Think it could have been a fox?

Saw a couple of possums in our yard at night so decided to set the trap.  Next morning found a possum dead in the yard.  Looked like it had been attacked from behind, some fur was pulled off, and a few bites (about half dollar size bites) were taken from the middle of it.  No evidence of what it's attacker was.  Live on one acre in suburbs and wondering if anyone has any idea of what could have killed it.

Hopefully whatever it was was just passing by, and wondering if we should leave our trap out and set.  Think it could have been a fox?

Yikes. No idea what it could have been but that's maybe worse than finding a live one! I live in town on a 1/3 acre really close to OU in Norman and I've seen fox poop in the creek (1 house down) plus I know we have nesting owls. Those are the only 2 in town things I can think of that might take out a possum. Good luck!

Yikes. No idea what it could have been but that's maybe worse than finding a live one! I live in town on a 1/3 acre really close to OU in Norman and I've seen fox poop in the creek (1 house down) plus I know we have nesting owls. Those are the only 2 in town things I can think of that might take out a possum. Good luck!

Thanks, never occurred to me it might be an owl. Have heard one in our backyard in the early morning hours so could be that. Neighbor said her neighbor had a fox living under her shed with babies, so guess it could be that too. Guess we will just leave trap set for a few days and see if anything materializes ... doubt if an owl would go in there.

Back
Top Bottom