***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Got our first pigs today. Hope the kids remember at least one of them will be yummy. Long legs is working on the shelter by himself.
So, the pigs went to the processor on Monday. We didn't realize how long the waiting list was to get that done or it would have been earlier. The weighed 485# each. We were shocked! Hanging weight was 360 and 362. The meat looks really good. The processor even commented on it. I think it was the combination of heritage breeds, some donated organic produce, and high protein cattle cubes. My son was getting really tired of feeding them, but maybe he will be ready for more after he tastes the difference. We filled a 5 foot chest freezer, so I don't think that will be happening for a long time. RIP Barbie and Anna. They were really sweet girls.

P.S. I have a colleague who wants to buy some meat. Any recommendations on what I should charge by the pound?

Not real sure what this green clover like stuff is but the girls love it. It's easy to pull up and gather large amounts, which I have, and give to them.

Right now with greenery at a premium I'm happy to get these, probably weeds, to them.

Not real sure what this green clover like stuff is but the girls love it. It's easy to pull up and gather large amounts, which I have, and give to them.

Right now with greenery at a premium I'm happy to get these, probably weeds, to them.

Yes, it is a weed. Colloquial name is henbit....appropriate. In the spring there will be tons of purple flowers. It can take over a lawn and garden quickly. My birds love it too.

My girls prefer fresh picked weeds to vegetable scraps, something I learned early about them. Henbit, deadnettle, dandelion, milkweed, also wild carrot sprigs. All which come up even in the freezing temps in my yard. I have to be careful with the wild carrot, though, because it looks a lot like poison hemlock. The only obvious difference is that wild carrot has tiny hairs on the stems and undersides of leaves, hemlock is hairless. If you ever have questions about wild forage, this website has a fount of information. I've spent lots of time geeking out on it. http://www.eattheweeds.com

So, the pigs went to the processor on Monday. We didn't realize how long the waiting list was to get that done or it would have been earlier. The weighed 485# each. We were shocked! Hanging weight was 360 and 362. The meat looks really good. The processor even commented on it. I think it was the combination of heritage breeds, some donated organic produce, and high protein cattle cubes. My son was getting really tired of feeding them, but maybe he will be ready for more after he tastes the difference. We filled a 5 foot chest freezer, so I don't think that will be happening for a long time. RIP Barbie and Anna. They were really sweet girls.

P.S. I have a colleague who wants to buy some meat. Any recommendations on what I should charge by the pound?

I've never done it by the pound. I know a lot of people who do it in shares. Such as they cover the butcher cost and get a percentage of meat. Such as a 1/4 or 1/2. You don't have that final bill and they get THE MEAT not arby's. Also have some friends that 1 pays everything piglets, feed, and butcher the other raises them and they each get a hog.

So, the pigs went to the processor on Monday.  We didn't realize how long the waiting list was to get that done or it would have been earlier. The weighed 485# each.  We were shocked!  Hanging weight was 360 and 362.  The meat looks really good.  The processor even commented on it.  I think it was the combination of heritage breeds, some donated organic produce, and high protein cattle cubes.  My son was getting really tired of feeding them, but maybe he will be ready for more after he tastes the difference.  We filled a 5 foot chest freezer, so I don't think that will be happening for a long time. RIP Barbie and Anna.  They were really sweet girls.  

P.S.  I have a colleague who wants to buy some meat.  Any recommendations on what I should charge by the pound?  

I've never done it by the pound. I know a lot of people who do it in shares. Such as they cover the butcher cost and get a percentage of meat. Such as a 1/4 or 1/2. You don't have that final bill and they get THE MEAT not arby's. Also have some friends that 1 pays everything piglets, feed, and butcher the other raises them and they each get a hog.

Since you have it in the freezer, price would depend on what cuts they want plus your butcher and feed costs.

Sorry about the calf NaNa. If you couldn 't pull it thru no one could. Glad the cow is okay. Hope the winter has been good to you and yours so far. Are you ready for the spring hatching season!

Back
Top Bottom