***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I have only gotten two eggs which were fertile thank goodness ,from one of my btw Japanese the hen that layed them is dead but my 3 others are not laying at all the only hen that's laying out of 6 is my partridge rock hen who has layed 1 egg a day since decmber. the Japanese hens are running from the roo, the hens are only about a year old. I have them on laying pellets mixed with hen scratch but idk if I'm doing something wrong or if I can do anything to fix this issue.

question, ive been told you shouldn't hatch a chickens first egg, is there something wrong with hatching the first egg?

Pullet eggs are usually smaller than a full laying hen....at least the first clutch of 12 or so. Pullet eggs usually produce smaller chicks which may not grow off as well.

I have a hen with issues except the runny nose, her poop is yellowish kind of runny sticking to her back end feathers with one eye with dried boogers and feels skinny,  but no runny nose at all can any one help/

So no respiratory issues....may be something she has picked up from the wild birds that frequent the pen feeders. Being skinny is of more concern...she is not properly processing the feed she is eating. I would worm her by whichever method you use. Then worm again in ten days to get the residual parasite eggs. For improving her gut, give her a little layer pellet mixed with a tbs of plain yogurt, a tsp of chopped apple and 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and a drop of Polyvisol baby vitamin (no iron).
Trim off the pooped on feathers and check her closely for mites too. They can cause anemia as well as affect weight.
Lastly, the booger eyes...oxytetracycline. I usually use medicated hog pellets for the entire flock for two weeks. But you will now need a vet prescription to buy any feed with antibiotics. Fishbiotics at Walmart will have an antibiotic in capsules ...200mg in a bottle... Look for either amoxicillin or penicillin. Give one each day for two days...can open the capsule and mix it with the yogurt food mixture.

I have only gotten two eggs which were fertile thank goodness ,from one of my btw Japanese the hen that layed them is dead but my 3 others are not laying at all the only hen that's laying out of 6 is my partridge rock hen who has layed 1 egg a day since decmber. the Japanese hens are running from the roo, the hens are only about a year old. I have them on laying pellets mixed with hen scratch but idk if I'm doing something wrong or if I can do anything to fix this issue.

Check the spurs on your rooster. If they are sharp, the hens are uncomfortable during mating. Clip them or file off the points. For a bantam, the spurs can be safely shortened to 3/4 inch. Also...don't mix scratch in with your layer pellets. Scratch is like candy to birds. They will fill up on it before eating the pellets. That means they aren't getting the balanced diet needed for laying.
While they aren't laying is a good time to worm the little flock. You should see some improvement in laying in a few weeks.

It's been a very long time since I checked in with y'all. Thought I'd drop by and say hello. Not much going one here. Had a few birds lost recently to predators, but, y'all know that's nothing new, for those of us who free range our birds.
I think the last I was on here, I had recently gotten 4 crested ducks. I hatched out a few (3) eggs, that were given to me, and a few more that I had collected in my own pen. Of all of them, two survived. One black Indian Runner and a black and white crested. The runner was raised with a bunch of chicks that hatched around the same time, so we named him Chicken. The black and white crested, was raised with the Guineas she hatched with, and we started to name her Guinea, but she nearly constantly is quacking, loudly. We named her Quackers.
Of the other four ducks, predators got 3 of them, plus they recently got Chicken the runner, a Guinea, and a couple of roosters that REFUSED to coop up at night.
I finally caught three of the coyotes who had been feasting on my flock, Saturday night. Each received a 55 grain copper jacketed lead vaccination, right through the heart, and the buzzards are now starting to feast on them. I still think it was owls or hawks, though, that got my three silkie hens. All that's left is one pretty white rooster.
The rain last night and today, has been helpful. The ponds are filling back up, making my two remaining ducks very happy. Tonight, I am going to set 2 dozen Muscovy eggs, as well as 5 crested eggs and 4 turkey eggs. I have a goose egg, but never got the goose egg cradles for my Hovabators, so, I'm not so sure how to do it. I'll figure out something. It might redneck as all get out, but, I'll give it the old college try.
Not much else happening here. Wife went to California, to help care for our grandkids, while their parents go through "family issues", so I'm just playing the "Stay at home bachelor" role, raising our pigs and birds.
BTW-does anyone know much about swine? I have a pregnant pig (she was a gilt, but if she's pregnant, I guess she's now a sow?), that I didn't plan on getting her pregnant. We have another gilt that we wanted to get pregnant, but the boar didn't get the job done, with her. This one was raised to be a feeder, not a breeder. But, I guess we will have a litter of piglets in about another month or so.
We weren't planning on a pregnancy just yet. But, now I'll have to build a farrowing pen.
Anyway, howdy to everyone. I didn't drop off the face of the earth, though there's likely folks in this world, who wouldn't mind if I did. I just mainly wanted to drop in, and say hi. I gave my iPad to my wife, about a year ago, and had been on here, exclusively using the iPad. Once I gave it to her, and had forgotten my password here, I just found other things to do, instead of just retrieving my password, like I should have done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A little chicken Internet humor

It's been a very long time since I checked in with y'all. Thought I'd drop by and say hello. Not much going one here. Had a few birds lost recently to predators, but, y'all know that's nothing new, for those of us who free range our birds.
I think the last I was on here, I had recently gotten 4 crested ducks. I hatched out a few (3) eggs, that were given to me, and a few more that I had collected in my own pen. Of all of them, two survived. One black Indian Runner and a black and white crested. The runner was raised with a bunch of chicks that hatched around the same time, so we named him Chicken. The black and white crested, was raised with the Guineas she hatched with, and we started to name her Guinea, but she nearly constantly is quacking, loudly. We named her Quackers.
Of the other four ducks, predators got 3 of them, plus they recently got Chicken the runner, a Guinea, and a couple of roosters that REFUSED to coop up at night.
I finally caught three of the coyotes who had been feasting on my flock, Saturday night. Each received a 55 grain copper jacketed lead vaccination, right through the heart, and the buzzards are now starting to feast on them. I still think it was owls or hawks, though, that got my three silkie hens. All that's left is one pretty white rooster.
The rain last night and today, has been helpful. The ponds are filling back up, making my two remaining ducks very happy. Tonight, I am going to set 2 dozen Muscovy eggs, as well as 5 crested eggs and 4 turkey eggs. I have a goose egg, but never got the goose egg cradles for my Hovabators, so, I'm not so sure how to do it. I'll figure out something. It might redneck as all get out, but, I'll give it the old college try.
Not much else happening here. Wife went to California, to help care for our grandkids, while their parents go through "family issues", so I'm just playing the "Stay at home bachelor" role, raising our pigs and birds.
BTW-does anyone know much about swine? I have a pregnant pig (she was a gilt, but if she's pregnant, I guess she's now a sow?), that I didn't plan on getting her pregnant. We have another gilt that we wanted to get pregnant, but the boar didn't get the job done, with her. This one was raised to be a feeder, not a breeder. But, I guess we will have a litter of piglets in about another month or so.
We weren't planning on a pregnancy just yet. But, now I'll have to build a farrowing pen.
Anyway, howdy to everyone. I didn't drop off the face of the earth, though there's likely folks in this world, who wouldn't mind if I did. I just mainly wanted to drop in, and say hi. I gave my iPad to my wife, about a year ago, and had been on here, exclusively using the iPad. Once I gave it to her, and had forgotten my password here, I just found other things to do, instead of just retrieving my password, like I should have done.

What's the pig question?

I need to build a farrowing pen. My short experience with pigs is that ANYTHING that I use to put feed or water in, unless it is big and heavy enough, will be overturned by the pigs. How do I build a pen, that mama will have access to water and feed, give the piglets a little room to move around as they mature to the point, where they will want to, and yet keep my other pigs out? The pigs are pretty docile to other species in their pen, but are downright mean to each other. I don't want the babies killed, by the adults other than mama. Just what considerations do I need to keep in mind as I build the farrowing pen?

Back
Top Bottom