***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I need to build a farrowing pen. My short experience with pigs is that ANYTHING that I use to put feed or water in, unless it is big and heavy enough, will be overturned by the pigs. How do I build a pen, that mama will have access to water and feed, give the piglets a little room to move around as they mature to the point, where they will want to, and yet keep my other pigs out? The pigs are pretty docile to other species in their pen, but are downright mean to each other. I don't want the babies killed, by the adults other than mama. Just what considerations do I need to keep in mind as I build the farrowing pen?
What we done when I was young was build a simple A frame house of tin and ran 2x4s down the sides bout 8-10" off the ground so when she laid down it was in the middle and the piglets could go under the board and stay to the sides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I first got my barred rocks the three hen were laying at least two eggs a day. This was early January. during the snow storm we had about 4wks ago they stopped laying and still haven't started back. My main concern is that I let them free range and since they've gotten used to being loose they've basically stopped eating there laying pellets. Could they not be getting enough protein? I'm fairly sure they're not laying in the woods.

When I first got my barred rocks the three hen were laying at least two eggs a day. This was early January. during the snow storm we had about 4wks ago they stopped laying and still haven't started back. My main concern is that I let them free range and since they've gotten used to being loose they've basically stopped eating there laying pellets. Could they not be getting enough protein? I'm fairly sure they're not laying in the woods.

Light and warmth. That's the typical key. Mine are getting artificial light from 2am until sunup, every day. When it gets cold, near freezing, they slow down laying, until the weather warms up. I'm getting about a dozen a day, when it's warm out, then maybe 2-4 eggs a day, on those really cold days.

I need to build a farrowing pen. My short experience with pigs is that ANYTHING that I use to put feed or water in, unless it is big and heavy enough, will be overturned by the pigs. How do I build a pen, that mama will have access to water and feed, give the piglets a little room to move around as they mature to the point, where they will want to, and yet keep my other pigs out? The pigs are pretty docile to other species in their pen, but are downright mean to each other. I don't want the babies killed, by the adults other than mama. Just what considerations do I need to keep in mind as I build the farrowing pen?
What we done when I was young was build a simple A frame house of tin and ran 2x4s down the sides bout 8-10" off the ground so when she laid down it was in the middle and the piglets could go under the board and stay to the sides.

Thanks Matt. Much appreciated.

Light and warmth. That's the typical key. Mine are getting artificial light from 2am until sunup, every day. When it gets cold, near freezing, they slow down laying, until the weather warms up. I'm getting about a dozen a day, when it's warm out, then maybe 2-4 eggs a day, on those really cold days.

Thanks. I was just curious since the days are longer now than when they were last laying.

So, 3 of my girls started laying again, but they aren't using the nest boxes. My hubs thinks they're looking for a place to hide a nest, which is entirely probable. I found one in a far corner underneath the coop which is wrapped with hardware cloth on 3 sides, so not easy to get to. Smart girl! Looks like I might need to grab some fake eggs next time I go to TS and see if that will change their minds. Under the coop is one of their favorite spots to hang out and hide from the sun and my husband's lawn equipment, so I don't want to block it off unless there's no other way.

Dollar golf balls work just as well as fake eggs! ;) I got a few to sit by putting golf balls and eggs in the nest.

I know some ppl don't like them but in my op. farrowing creates are the best. they have feeders and waters built in and they keep the piglets safer.

Going to plant in the garden today: onion sets and plants, beets, carrots, turnips, lettuce, spinach and a small section of potato. My peas are already in and I transplanted all the lettuce I could find into one bed.
The new Farmer's Almanac has all of Oklahoma in a new zone with Texas...the north half of the state used to be included with Kansas. Not sure I completely agree with this new prediction...but will succession plant into March to be on the safe side. I like following the moon cycles for planting.

My grandmother and Roger's mother followed the moon cycles in both their gardens and when setting eggs under a hen or in the incubator. Thought I would try that this year as part of my hatching program.
The Almanac indicates that chicks hatched between the New moon and the Full moon in the fruitful signs of Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces would be healthier and mature faster. If you are interested in trying it, here is that schedule gleaned from the many calendars in the Almanac:
You will need count backwards 21 days to determine the dates for setting those eggs...double check my dates
New.......Full..............Best days for hatching in 2017...............................Date to set
Moon.....Moon.............. (Moon phase).
2/26.......3/12............... March 6 -7 (Cancer).............................................could set quail on 2/17.
3/27.......4/11................April 1-2 (Cancer)................................................... 3/11-12
4/26.......5/10................April 30 - May 1 (Cancer)....................................... 4/9
5/25.......6/9..................May 27 - 28 (Cancer) and June 5 - 6 (Scorpio). .......5/6 And. 5/15
6/23........7/9................June 27 a 28 (Cancer). And July 2 - 4 (Scorpio).........6/2 and 6/11
7/23........8/7................July 30 - 31 (Scorpio)..................................................7/9
8/21........9/3................Aug. 27 - 28 (Scorpio)................................................8/6
9/20........10/5..............Sept 23 - 24 (Scorpio). And Oct 2 - 4 (Pisces)............9/2 and 9/11
10/19......11/4..............Oct 20 - 21 (Scorpio). And Oct 30 - 31 (Pisces)...........9/29
11/18......12/3..............Nov 18 (Scorpio). And Nov 26 - 27 (Pisces)................10/28 and 11/5
12/18.......1/2...............Dec 23 - 25 (Pisces).....................................................12/2

I had spacing in the columns when I typed this...don't know why they don't show, but there is more than one way to skin a cat!! I used periods to mark the spacing.

Ps, I went ahead and set 13 Wyandotte eggs under a determined broody Cochin hen today 2/16......should hatch on March 9 fudged it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom