***OKIES in the BYC III ***

This is when I first noticed. The vet wanted her on antibiotics for 3 weeks. It has not changed. I've kept it wrapped up with neosporin and vetericyn spray.

Last edited:

This is when I first noticed. The vet wanted her on antibiotics for 3 weeks. It has not changed. I've kept it wrapped up with neosporin and vetericyn spray.

In the pictures it looks like the black spot is smaller...that is good! Doesn't look big enough to challenge her system with surgery. Try soaking in Epsom salt water and then wrap her foot again.

Temperatures got down to 24 degrees here! Sure glad I brought the tomato, pepper, cabbage a d lettuce transplants inside and sprinkled hay over the peas and onions in the garden!

After the coyote massacre in the Cochin pen in early December...lost 3 young males and five laying hens...I was left with my 5 yr old rooster and five hens. These were my line and several Bo Garrett hens. They spent the rest of the winter in with the layer flock. I moved four hens and Grandpa out to the breed pen after beefing up the structure and was beginning to collect a few eggs. Over the years I have gifted a young neighbor with breed stock from my flock. Her dad has found Cochin to be a favorite and had purchased 10 black hens from Bo Garret too.
Yesterday my neighbor brought me three beautiful Black Cochin year old cockerels that were from one of my roosters and those hens. I will now have fresh roosters to complement my bloodline insuring chicks. Then as they were leaving, she and her dad said they would collect eggs for me this weekend for my incubator! I am thrilled at their generosity.

My broody hens are firmly settled on their nests with chicks to hatch soon.
Two incubators are loaded and I'm calibrating the third. Also prepping the cabinet incubator.

Calving season is now in full swing with six on the ground and 42 more to go. Hoping the girls kept their legs crossed last night in those frigid temperatures! :lau

Last edited:
Temperatures got down to 24 degrees here! Sure glad I brought the tomato, pepper, cabbage a d lettuce transplants inside and sprinkled hay over the peas and onions in the garden!

After the coyote massacre in the Cochin pen in early December...lost 3 young males and five laying hens...I was left with my 5 yr old rooster and five hens. These were my line and several Bo Garrett hens. They spent the rest of the winter in with the layer flock. I moved four hens and Grandpa out to the breed pen after beefing up the structure and was beginning to collect a few eggs. Over the years I have gifted a young neighbor with breed stock from my flock. Her dad has found Cochin to be a favorite and had purchased 10 black hens from Bo Garret too.
Yesterday my neighbor brought me three beautiful Black Cochin year old cockerels that were from one of my roosters and those hens. I will now have fresh roosters to complement my bloodline insuring chicks. Then as they were leaving, she and her dad said they would collect eggs for me this weekend for my incubator! I am thrilled at their generosity.

My broody hens are firmly settled on their nests with chicks to hatch soon.
Two incubators are loaded and I'm calibrating the third. Also prepping the cabinet incubator.

Calving season is now in full swing with six on the ground and 42 more to go. Hoping the girls kept their legs crossed last night in those frigid temperatures!
lau.gif

"Casting your bread on many waters" always works. Just a testament to your generosity.

In the pictures it looks like the black spot is smaller...that is good! Doesn't look big enough to challenge her system with surgery. Try soaking in Epsom salt water and then wrap her foot again.
this is actually both her feet. Larger one on right foot and smaller one on left foot. The larger one still looks the same.

Last edited:
Well, huh... I could have sworn all 6 of my Buff Orpingtons were laying last year. Usually I get 2-4 large and extra large eggs a day out of them, but today I got 5. One of the eggs was pullet sized and missing the bloom, so maybe one of them did wait out the fall and winter.

Back
Top Bottom