***OKIES in the BYC III ***

@Kassaundra Here is Annie puffed up with a couple of her chicks.

She really puffs up!!! Will move them out of the cage tomorrow when this brief cold snap passes. She fouls the drinking water every day by scratching thru the hay and feed cup.

@mjgigax This Chocolate Cuckoo has her 6 chicks on the floor now. She is a great mother puffing up to protect them. She constantly talks to them.

Plants for the garden and a few yard photos
Tomato and peppers and cabbage and lettuce....a few brocolli and cauliflower

Can't believe the Ginko tree has leafed out so early!

Love my flowers

The lilac is early and the blue vinca vine below the firethorn is thriving.

Nanakat, for some unknown reason, my poppies aren't coming up like they normally do. the last two years I've had thousands of the red American Legion poppies that have reseeded themselves. So far this year I've only found three! I see NONE from the beautiful red carnation poppy from you. I have seeds from last year and some from the original 3 colors you gave me two years ago, bu haven't gotten around to doing anything with them. Have been too busy and tired from all the other yard work.
Not incubating anything this year, and not too concerned about mamas hatching their own. I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed with everything!

@mjgigax This Chocolate Cuckoo has her 6 chicks on the floor now. She is a great mother puffing up to protect them. She constantly talks to them. [/quote] I glad the Orpington girl is doing so well. Are her chicks mixed? I forgot if the male youhatched is a cockoo or solid. I have noticed that Orpington hen are about as good at mothering as Cochins and Silkies. Your girl went broody pretty early, in my experience, but I now have a solid Chocolate girl that I suspect is going g broody. They must be responding to the early Spring like the plants. I think the plants are not only early but also extra robust this year. Our climbing rose is just dense with leaves and our snow peas seem loaded with foliage too. Hope that means a heavy harvest!

Last edited:
@Kassaundra Here is Annie puffed up with a couple of her chicks.

She really puffs up!!! Will move them out of the cage tomorrow when this brief cold snap passes. She fouls the drinking water every day by scratching thru the hay and feed cup.

@mjgigax This Chocolate Cuckoo has her 6 chicks on the floor now. She is a great mother puffing up to protect them. She constantly talks to them.

Plants for the garden and a few yard photos
Tomato and peppers and cabbage and lettuce....a few brocolli and cauliflower

Can't believe the Ginko tree has leafed out so early!

Love my flowers

The lilac is early and the blue vinca vine below the firethorn is thriving.
Such a Diva!!!!

Nanakat, for some unknown reason, my poppies aren't coming up like they normally do.  the last two years I've had thousands of the red American Legion poppies that have reseeded themselves.  So far this year I've only found three!  I see NONE from the beautiful red carnation poppy from you.  I have seeds from last year and some from the original 3 colors you gave me two years ago, bu haven't gotten around to doing anything with them.  Have been too busy and tired from all the other yard work. 
Not incubating anything this year, and not too concerned about mamas hatching their own.  I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed with everything!

Hang in there Betsy! You will have many days to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Maybe scattering some seed in one of your newly cleared areas will give you a few that will bloom.

I glad the Orpington girl is doing so well. Are her chicks mixed? I forgot if the male youhatched is a cockoo or solid. I have noticed that Orpington hen are about as good at mothering as Cochins and Silkies. Your girl went broody pretty early, in my experience, but I now have a solid Chocolate girl that I suspect is going g broody. They must be responding to the early Spring like the plants. I think the plants are not only early but also extra robust this year. Our climbing rose is just dense with leaves and our snow peas seem loaded with foliage too. Hope that means a heavy harvest![/quote] @mjgigax These are chicks from the Barred Wyandotte eggs. She went broody right after beginning to lay and before I put her with the Chocolate rooster. As soon as she begins to lay again, I will pen her with him. Hatching chicks seem more robust too.

Last edited:
I broke 5 out of 6 eggs today. Tripped over my own feet on the deck, and they went flying. Oops! The one that survived was saved by a rug.

I only have 1 chicken laying and I dropped her egg yesterday and a goose egg a few days ago. Tonight I dropped an entire pan of enchiladas before it went into the oven and dropped the other taking it out but at least it didn't land on the floor, it's going to be fun cleaning the oven. How the glass dish didn't break on ceramic tile still has me baffled. It's been one of those weeks!
263a.png

Limited 25, sorry I didn't get back with you about how to dose the gel cap, but Nanakat's suggestion was a good one. I just puncture the gel cap and squirt it directly into the beak of the afflicted one. I do that once a day until she seems well improved. how is she doing? There certain could be something else wrong, but that's the only experience I have with what we call "wry neck".

BetsyOK, Thanks for this suggestion! I have been puncturing the capsule and stirring it into applesauce I made in the blender. She loves it and so do the rest of the girls. Unfortunately the rhode island reds (our first chickens) seem to guard it and try to consume most of it. I will try your suggestion starting today. She seems a little better but is still doing it, though she seems healthy in every other way. When she lays down to dust bathe it doesn't seem to happen ... only when she is up walking around.

Haven't been on here as much as I would like lately as we have been busy exploring 40 acres of land near Seminole that we will close on the end of this month or the beginning of next. Can't wait! It is mostly wilderness and we still haven't seen it all. lol.

Is there a trick to squirting it into her beak? Think I read a while back something about needing to be careful that it doesn't go in the wrong way or something. She is a black lace wyandotte.

Try to squirt it under or around her tongue and it should not be a problem. It won't do much more than dribble anyway. A hard squirt might make it go down the wrong way, but I've not had that problem.

Good luck, and bless you for trying!

Back
Top Bottom