***OKIES in the BYC III ***

@Kassaundra I know you know your plants really well. Can you tell me what this is? Little pink flowers come out of the green cluster at the top. There are a lot of them in my yard, mostly in wind-protected areas.

Last edited:
@Kassaundra I know you know your plants really well. Can you tell me what this is? Little pink flowers come out of the green cluster at the top. There are a lot of them in my yard, mostly in wind-protected areas.
I actually do not know. I have some to I saw growing at my in-law's a few years ago and transplanted to my flower bed. Maybe NanaK or one of the other plant loving Okies can fill us both in.

How small are the flowers?
Are they petaled or tubular?
Are the stems fleshy or hard?
How tall do the plants get?
Do they grow in full sun and or part shade?
Have you seen seeds in the past year?
Are the seeds round or triangular and start out green turning black as they ripen?
I'm thinking four o'clock or a variety of buckwheat, but need more info to identify.

Last edited:
How small are the flowers?
Are they petaled or tubular?
Are the stems fleshy or hard?
How tall do the plants get?
Do they grow in full sun and or part shade?
Have you seen seeds in the past year?
Are the seeds round or triangular and start out green turning black as they ripen?
I'm thinking four o'clock or a variety of buckwheat, but need more info to identify.
Definately not 4 O'clocks. They grow best in partial shade. Flowers are clump like mostly not too showy, stay green (the flowers) w/ just a blushing of pink or blue (reminescent of a very plain very stripped down hydrangea in the flowers anyway). They get about 3 foot tall. Don't remember the seeds much, let me see if I can get a closer pic

Here are some pics, they are darker then I remember them last year and definately have a 4'oclock look, just less of a "cultivated" is there a wild 4 oclock???

The are tiny flowers

Thank you, @Kassaundra and @NanaKat! Mystery solved. It is most definitely those wild four o' clocks. The foliage is quite pretty, too bad the flowers aren't more showy. I might just pull the ones out of the gardens and leave the ones growing in the flood-area. I've had an epic battle with catchweed this spring, so I've been pulling weeds like a mad-woman! I still like to know what I'm pulling, because I feed the weeds to my hens.

Back
Top Bottom