***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Can someone please tell me what kind of trees these are? They look like elm leaves but the new growth on the branches is succulent like, and it seems to turn into a more normal looking branch as it gets older. Have a bunch of these on land we just bought and wondering if I should get rid of some of them and plant something else. Never seen these before. Please advise.

Last edited:

Can someone please tell me what kind of trees these are? They look like elm leaves but the new growth on the branches is succulent like, and it seems to turn into a more normal looking branch as it gets older. Have a bunch of these on land we just bought and wondering if I should get rid of some of them and plant something else. Never seen these before. Please advise.

Final numbers are in on the 4/28 hatch....finished early!
18 of 22 Columbian Wyandotte, 1 of 2 White Wyandotte, 5 of 5 layer flock, 5 of 5 Blue bantam, 3 of 8 Cochin, 5 of 15 ducklings.

One more hatch due May 3 timed before my trip to Santa Fe to see my siblings. No ducks in this one.
But....I set eggs on the 26th to go in lockdown the evening I return. I also have a broody hen to give eggs this week.

I'm going to rearrange the breeders early next week so Roger can collect all the eggs for the family while I'm gone. He will only have to feed and water the birds. Then when I return, I can begin to select for hatching.

We are thrilled with the rains that are filling our ponds and reviving our pastures....but the trees that have been blown down by the winds will be sorely missed. The ground has been so saturated that whole trees with roots have been downed.

Sure hope everyone will be safe with the next round of thunderstorms.

Last edited:
Hello!   I just saw this post and had to answer with my two cents.......ants aren't good.  Not always bad but I did have very bad experience a few times.  They found the nests and lurked there while the chickens were setting.  As soon as the eggs started to pip and had any kind of way for the ants to enter them they did!  They killed the baby chicks before they could hatch.
I tried to rescue the pipping eggs by bringing them in the house but the ants just poured out and were all over the incubator and still killed the babies.  
So yes, ants really worry me. How to get rid of them?  I don't know.   They seemed to have just left on their own.
Cheryl    ps HI NanaKat

Welcome back Cheryl! Good to see you posting again.

Looks like a Winged Elm.
We have always called the Lace Bark elm. They are a smaller tree than the "old" variety, but offer good shade.

Last edited:
I've got the same thing going. Weird.
There are ants in my coop. They are the little black ones and there is a modest amount following a specific path near the nest boxes. I don't put food inside the coop ever, so I'm not sure what they're eating, unless it's chicken poop, or they are carrying off PDZ grains. I haven't seen them going for the food in the run at all. Anyway, they don't seem to bother my girls, in fact they go ignored. Is there any harm in letting them be? If they were fire ants or larger ones, I wouldn't even ask before destroying their colony, but I'm wondering if maybe these are cleaning up stuff I can't see, and maybe I should let them do it? Are little black ants harmful for chickens?

Ok this morning I pulled the nesting boxes and they had built a nest under it despite the fact that I have a tractor I move every 3 days. I shop vacuumed them suckers and cleaned it all out. I'm guessing it's dry and predator free cause the girls eat all other bugs

I haven't been to this forum in years - my ex let his dog kill all my chickens years ago and I basically gave up. I went back to school and finished my undergrad and just defended my MS thesis on Thursday. I also re-married to an amazing guy. I mentioned to him tonight that I'd like to fix the kennel and coop and buy pullets (2 production layers, 4 EEs, maybe a couple Marans... would prefer to get them all from the same person who has NPIP). So tomorrow we're going to buy the wire we need to fix stuff, and after May 10th (last finals that day) we can then buy the birds.

I am so excited!

I haven't been to this forum in years - my ex let his dog kill all my chickens years ago and I basically gave up. I went back to school and finished my undergrad and just defended my MS thesis on Thursday. I also re-married to an amazing guy. I mentioned to him tonight that I'd like to fix the kennel and coop and buy pullets (2 production layers, 4 EEs, maybe a couple Marans... would prefer to get them all from the same person who has NPIP). So tomorrow we're going to buy the wire we need to fix stuff, and after May 10th (last finals that day) we can then buy the birds.

I am so excited!

It is great to see you back! Congratulations with you Masters attainment and your new beginning.

I am so excited!

Congrats on your new and much better life! My ex would have woke up in bed with those chickens and then I would have started beating him with them when his mouth opened!

Back
Top Bottom