***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Howdy Cassie and:frow:welcome

Also I haven't had any "extra" bacon to feed my chickens, but I've watched them pick a deer carcass clean and the eggs just tasted normal. (reply to older post)

Got my hatchery shipment yesterday. This the first time I’ve had any real issues with shipped chicks. Two crushed in the box, one with a crooked leg I’m trying to fix, and about 10 that just weren’t very active when they arrived. I’ve lost 3 of those already and the rest are in a smaller brooder so the other chicks don’t pester them. It’s plenty warm in there for them but they’re still pretty lethargic. My guess is they got too cold somewhere in shipping and are just having a hard time bouncing back. I’ve still got over 50 that are healthy and came through just fine.
Which hatchery? And did you notify them?
Try some Nutridrench or electrolytes.

Howdy Cassie and:frow:welcome

Also I haven't had any "extra" bacon to feed my chickens, but I've watched them pick a deer carcass clean and the eggs just tasted normal. (reply to older post)
Welcome Cassie!

Which hatchery? And did you notify them?
Try some Nutridrench or electrolytes.

Got them from Murray McMurray. They gave me a credit for the ones that didn’t make it which I’ve already used for a bantam assortment that will arrive once these chicks vacate the brooder.

I do electrolytes for all shipped chicks for the first week. I figure it’s got to be stressful so a little help can’t hurt them. The ones that made it past the first few days are doing well.

I have some Serama cockerels that need new homes. they are free, but must be picked up in Blanchard. They are 4-8 weeks old.

Last edited:
Since March I have ripped out my "old" chicken pens and have been putting up new chain link 6 foot tall panel pens.
I purchased three complete 10 X 10 X 6 pens and utilized the 12 x 6 X 6 and parts of the 10 X 6 X 4 pens I already had. I had to purchase some corner connectors and some brace post connectors.
The problem was designing around the existing diagonal garden fence and a welded wire and post duck pen.
I used recycled PVC well pipe for the cross pieces for the tops using the brace post connectors.
I've moved the small coops in to the five pens as they were put together and set up a cage condo with four individual sections. They will get some repairs, new paint and new sheet roofing.
Putting a wire top on the pens now and will secure shade cloth over part of the tops.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Plan to get the breeder birds in the pens before the end of the week and Hopefully the predators will be deterred....

Back
Top Bottom