***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I love their lacing and how the girls combs look slicked back. I hope at least a few turn out nice looking!
They're pretty big, aren't they? These Brahma eggs are bigger than my Cochin eggs.

Poco Pollo - Cute idea you have there!
Ksane - I understand about not being able to draw. I can barely draw a recognizable stick figure, much less make eggs look as cute as Poco Pollo's. Kids do like stickers though, so that is a good idea. It would surely make any child smile.

Easter will be fun saving eggs for that kid-he loves eggs more than anything!

of course then you have the unscrupulous sellers that sell "showquality" eggs
rant.gif
. havent seen 1 in a while, but i am sure they will be on again as soon as it gets a little later in the season
somad.gif
. realy now," showquality" eggs?
lau.gif

i havent seen eggs shown in years, i dont even think anyone does it anymore.
idunno.gif

They make 12x12 egg shiping foam pads they're real nice cost about $3 a pad for 36 eggs and well worth it, fit in a 12x12x5 USPS large flat rate box 3 layers with a 1/2 inch foam pad on top makes 108 in teh box, the eggs cant really move and have plenty of protection. Could still break air sacs loos I supose.

I am sure we will see "Show Quality" eggs being sold it happens every year, The big breeders will seldom let an egg,chick, or young bird go unless it is for a good friend who is helping with something or working toward something. Otherwise be very carefull, if they can't explain the breeding practices, and culling practices for teh breed variety and line they have then you should pass. The more serious a person is about the birds the fewer that leave that are worth letting grow, and eggs are always a gamble when they leave could have been teh best bird of teh year.

They do still show eggs in county fairs they are judged on size, weight, color and uniformity I am not aware of anywhere other than that anymore.

Moved the first group of young birds outside today, naturally had to go put them on roosts tonight. It's amazing how they learn to roost in a cage but they go outside for the few nights they just don't manage to find the roost. Had to put the young birds that came out of teh brooders on thier roosts tonight too.
Based on numbers I will be re-setting breeder pens in about 6 weeks and start breeding for fall pullets for show season, already have 1 set that should give me hens and later on pullets so should work out well. That pen has proven itself in the past so I know what to expect but trying some new cockrells from last year in other pens so the results are yet to be seen.

Boy was my will power tested this week.... Atwoods had ducks and geese....chickens and guineas..... wow that was tough!

Beautiful day today... the ladys were sure singing......

Hope everyone is doing okay...

Peaches

I love their lacing and how the girls combs look slicked back. I hope at least a few turn out nice looking!
They're pretty big, aren't they? These Brahma eggs are bigger than my Cochin eggs

The hens should grow to around 7 lbs. the roo's 10-11lbs. It takes around 18 mos. for Brahmas to reach full maturity. A mature Light Brahma is a lb. or so heavier than the Dark or Buff Brahma. In my opinion a good colored Dark Brahma roo. looks every bit as good as a good colored hen.

Beautiful eggs PoCo! Amasing how talented some people are and others like me ...welll what can I say. Does a straight line supposed to have curves!lol

We missed all the storms today. Mostly north of us in Kentucky. Lots of damage there.

Been running all day tying up loose ends so we can head out about five in the morning. Headed to Okla! Fast trip ,motherinlaws birthday sat and we need to check on her. Won't be anytime for chicken looking this trip. But lookout in june!lol. Might try and sneek off to the adair county sale friday night if I can tho. Are you going to be there Joe and PoCo? Really hate that Iam going to miss the big Amish sale this weekend. Seems I almost always miss this one for the same reason! Oh well guess I can say the prioritys are right even if the wants aren't!lol.
I took about four dozen eggs over to my buddys for him to set this afternoon. Caqn't wait to start getting chicks hatching out. Gotta call Sandhill tomorrow,apparently my order still hasn't gotten there(3 weeks) . And they won't do phone or e-mail orders. Looks like they would jion the new age if they want to run a business!

Gotta go do some packing.catch you guys later

Beautiful eggs PoCo! Amasing how talented some people are and others like me ...welll what can I say. Does a straight line supposed to have curves!lol

We missed all the storms today. Mostly north of us in Kentucky. Lots of damage there.

Been running all day tying up loose ends so we can head out about five in the morning. Headed to Okla! Fast trip ,motherinlaws birthday sat and we need to check on her. Won't be anytime for chicken looking this trip. But lookout in june!lol. Might try and sneek off to the adair county sale friday night if I can tho. Are you going to be there Joe and PoCo? Really hate that Iam going to miss the big Amish sale this weekend. Seems I almost always miss this one for the same reason! Oh well guess I can say the prioritys are right even if the wants aren't!lol.
I took about four dozen eggs over to my buddys for him to set this afternoon. Caqn't wait to start getting chicks hatching out. Gotta call Sandhill tomorrow,apparently my order still hasn't gotten there(3 weeks) . And they won't do phone or e-mail orders. Looks like they would jion the new age if they want to run a business!

Not talented? Pfffffttttt. You're a fabric artist. If you want curves in your straight lines, go for it. Nobody's stopping you. Wish I could go to the sale Friday, but I'm attending a talk in Collinsville on Saturday morning. I'm too cranky if I don't get at least six hours sleep, so staying out late for a chicken sale won't work for me this time.

So glad the bad storms missed you. Have a safe trip to Okie land.

Back
Top Bottom