***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Well I've done gone off the deep end, my incubator is in the mail. Don't know whether to
yesss.gif
or
hide.gif

Well I've done gone off the deep end, my incubator is in the mail. Don't know whether to
yesss.gif
or
hide.gif
Which one did you get?????
My 1st Faverolles/Orloff mix hatched and he's adorable! The cool cushion comb and down-turned beak of an Orloff and the feathered legs and 5 toes (at least on one foot) of a Faverolles plus the beard from both breeds. He's going to be the prettiest chicken.
So Kass? Jump up and down cuz you're going to love hatching!!

You will love the brinsea.

Kids say it is freezing outside. Guess that means we can even work in the garden this afternoon. Lots of clean up needs to be done, but we has avoided spending more time than necessary in the heat.

Roger worked out a deal with the guy next door with the horse sale barn about getting the maure/hay com,post for free. Yesterday he used the tractor to dump it over the fence into our pasture and today we are moving it with the dumptruck to some poor ground spots and washout areas. Then will spread it with the box blades hopefully before the rains hit.

Will check in later.

Hi everyone! I have been lurking on this thread but it moves so fast!!!! It's good to know that there are so many knowledgeable Okies though! We live in Purcell and just started raising chickens in March. We bought 6 from Atwoods and 6 from Tractor Supply. This is a joint effort with our neighbor. Of the 12 "female" chickens we bought we ended up with 3 roos. We gave away 2 of them and butchered 1 of them. Unfortunately our dog killed my sons barred rock hen so we are now down to 8 hens (and our dog has been rehomed). We have 2 Red Sex-Links, 1 Barred Rock pullet, 1 White Rock pullet, 2 Ancona pullets, 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Bantam Cochin pullet. My son is so sad that his chicken is gone. She was the leader of our chickens and was the nicest chicken. I am going to try to find another barred rock close to her age and that is nice but I may end up having to start with a chick(s) again. We will see. Our 2 Red Sex-Links, White Rock, and bantam Cochin have been laying eggs for about a month now. One Buff Orpington and both Anconas started laying yesterday, and the other Buff Orpington laid its first egg today.

I love that my kids are enjoying this experience and learning so much about chickens. My 4 year old and 6 year old are both in the 4H Cloverbud program so I am hoping to eventually get them some show worthy chickens once they show they will continue to be responsible and helpful with the "chicken chores".

Edited to add my name... Doh! I'm Ashley! LOL

Last edited:
Is the Newcastle sale on this weekend?

ACargil, the sale would be a great place to find a barred rock and we you would meet quite a few of us, we tend to gather at the auctions.

Hi Mike, better late than never

Both my Faverolles/Orloff eggs have hatched and the babies are adorable
lol.png
. They both have the 5 toes just on the left foot. The Cochin/Ameraucana is working at it, there's still a Cochin egg needing to pip but beings tomorrow's hatch day its got time.
Acargil-welcome!

Loving this weather!! I went out and took some pics of some of my birds today. Thought I'd share them.

5 week old Americauna's

2 week old Swedish Flower Hens

this is Bear, Pretty sure he's not pure Swede, but he hangs out with the Swedes. He's 3 weeks old.

Here's a few of my older girls (and possible a boy in there)

Not sure what my white girl is - maybe leghorn? I don't know.

These are my 2 Black Australorps. They're the same age. About 3-4 months old. I'm thinking I have a boy and a girl. Any help on that one would be greatly appreciated!

I have a few more, but they were playing in the brush behind the coop.

Back
Top Bottom