Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I certainly prefer MY water to be cold when I drink it
big_smile.png
- stands to reason that the hens will drink more if it isn't as hot as the outside temperature. A frozen jug of ice in the water is a good idea.

here is an interesting thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=361261

freeze some scratch in water for them, and hand it out- helps them stay cool

Quote:
Well since every one of my hens in the laying flock has been sick, stressed, medicated, wormed and overheated...I am getting 1 or 2 eggs a day
th.gif

And this is the very same flock that laid so well all winter--2-3 dozen a day!
hu.gif

same here, the banties are laying without a problem, but the big girls aren't...

Quote:
hey we have an auction on the 1st and 3rd sunday of each month at brushy just north of sallisaw , and on the 2nd and 4th saturday of each month on 64 highways just east of sallisaw at joyces produce .. I make sure i attend both lol

What all birds are you looking to get rid of ?

Quote:
hey we have an auction on the 1st and 3rd sunday of each month at brushy just north of sallisaw , and on the 2nd and 4th saturday of each month on 64 highways just east of sallisaw at joyces produce .. I make sure i attend both lol

hey donnie! wow, that isn't that far... i've got an overabundance of roos- silkies, for some reason can't seem to get pullets! all i want is to get them a home, not here...
smile.png
and not in a crockpot...
smile.png

Quote:
Well since every one of my hens in the laying flock has been sick, stressed, medicated, wormed and overheated...I am getting 1 or 2 eggs a day
th.gif

And this is the very same flock that laid so well all winter--2-3 dozen a day!
hu.gif

Not as many are laying and those that are, seem to be laying smaller eggs than they did when it was cooler.

Hmm that's odd, our NNs are laying like it is just another day!

Quote:

hey donnie! wow, that isn't that far... i've got an overabundance of roos- silkies, for some reason can't seem to get pullets! all i want is to get them a home, not here...
smile.png
and not in a crockpot...
smile.png

i sent you a pm

I'm down to 0-3 eggs/day. One of the Sumatras I got at POOPS went missing between 2pm and lockdown today so I'm praying I find her sitting on a hidden stash tomorrow.
fl.gif
I've got the neighbors on the lookout for a giant emerald green crow.

We get those big square buckets of ice cream from Walmart and refill them with water. Then we stack them in a deep freeze and I put fresh ones out everyday in their favorite spots. They can lay around them and get cold drinks as they melt. Cheap and easy. You have to like ice cream though.
tongue.png

I've got to test, band and evaluate all the birds this week since we're 2 weeks out from fair season here. Just waiting on the supplies to get here. nnbreeder-I did go ahead and order a bleeder looper since that was the only option they had for the looper, but I was going to take your advice and go the needle route for bleeding. Do you recommend a certain guage?

You all have some of the prettiest birds down there I swear. Those sweet little Porcelain D'Uccles I got from Michael for me because I just loved the color...well one of my girls has claimed one and announced she was going to take it to show too. Haul out the standards and I'll be, they're actually Booted Bantams. My DD calls them our rainbow birds.

We're thinking about going to the Inter-State Fair and Rodeo too this year. Waiting to get the info for it. Anyone here ever go before or planning to go this year?

Last edited:
Morning all, found one of my chicks dead in a water can I did not know was in there( Dakota was suppose to have taken it out), I took it out, hope the other two make it. Sold a sow, have to deliver her today, three hens on eggs!!! Have a blessed day all, Lynn

frow.gif

morning everyone.... payday...
woot.gif

ok Al, need some recipes for that bbq you had!!

off to do the usual payday stuff... and get stuff to spray the coop with for those dang mites!

have a great day everyone and stay cool!! gonna get some frozen mixed vegies to toss to the flock to help em stay cool, have i mentioned i don't like heat??
th.gif

When I went out to feed and water, I heard the familiar tick, tick, tick of the electric fence. I found a big snake, stuck in the chicken wire, trying to get out of one of the pens. The hens were not pleased. When I turned off the electricity, the snake started to move, so I'm going to wait an hour or so to see if it can squeeze its way out. I'm guessing it got in under the door to the pen. I know it had been in the coop, as there were two eggs on the coop floor, covered in yuck. One of the hens is royally miffed, and she's not coming out. It's a bull snake, I think. Thick as my arm and about four feet long. I am not a fan.
34274_dsc_00020285_wince.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom