Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Why fight it? You know you love them...why don't you just stop fighting it and get some really good ones and breed and show them? You know you want to...

Doesn't look like we are gonna make Cement at the end of the month. I am headed to the city Thursday night for fun school stuff Friday...so anything cool going of this Friday night? Any reason for me to stick around or bring my truck???

You should consider going to the Prague exotic animal auction on Saturday. It starts at 10:00, admission is $5 and the poultry goes through the auction ring on Saturday. If you were to get done fairly early on Friday, you could go out to Prague and check out what poultry is available in the alley behind the auction barn and buy stuff for the set price on Friday. (course, it still costs $5 to go inside and pay for it so you can take it home)

We plan to take 2 goats and ??? llamas to the sale on Friday. Goats sell on Friday and Llamas sell on Saturday. I plan to take the day off from work on Friday so that I can go and scope out the back alley for cool birds and rabbits.

The Fletcher auction will be Saturday night on the 16th, so you could go to that one as well. I am hoping to be able to catch some more runner duck drakes and some full grown guineas to take to the Fletcher auction. We will have to see how well my netting skills are and how much help I can get from other family members. The runner ducks are easy to catch if there is a coordinated effort. The guineas - not so easy unless I can lure them into the flight pen with food and shut the door.

Quote:
Not sure whether to give hugs to you or to Clayton
idunno.gif
hugs.gif

Quote:
The turkey will likely be fine.
hugs.gif

All of mine have limped at some point in time. It is because they like to get on a roost and then when they come off of it, they land with an impact of about 30 lbs, unless they can remember to do a running type landing and run for a short distance upon impact.

Turkeys are very laid back birds. Most don't like to be handled, but most will come up close to see if you are handing out food. They don't seem to mind the weather, including sleet. They get along well with chickens - although some people will tell you to never raise them on the same ground because of the possibility of the turkeys(?) gettting blackhead from the chickens, which isn't anything that is visible on the outside of the bird. I have free ranged my turkeys and chickens together for 9 years and never had a problem. I don't over-populate the range where the turkeys are, so they are seldom on mud because the grass has all been eaten. If I recall correctly, blackhead is a soil borne disease. Enjoy the differences and give Thomas time to recover from the indignity of being cooped up in a cage for 24 hours.

Thomas seems better... but...he went to bed! It's not even dark! Everyone else is out screwing around and he is in bed! If he was a person...he would be Mike!

I got the Christmas tree out to the burn pile, cleaned the house and made lasagne....didn't go to mom's today...I am way behind....

Eggs in the bator say hi! Can't wait to candle!!!

Quote:
The turkey will likely be fine.
hugs.gif

All of mine have limped at some point in time. It is because they like to get on a roost and then when they come off of it, they land with an impact of about 30 lbs, unless they can remember to do a running type landing and run for a short distance upon impact.

Turkeys are very laid back birds. Most don't like to be handled, but most will come up close to see if you are handing out food. They don't seem to mind the weather, including sleet. They get along well with chickens - although some people will tell you to never raise them on the same ground because of the possibility of the turkeys(?) gettting blackhead from the chickens, which isn't anything that is visible on the outside of the bird. I have free ranged my turkeys and chickens together for 9 years and never had a problem. I don't over-populate the range where the turkeys are, so they are seldom on mud because the grass has all been eaten. If I recall correctly, blackhead is a soil borne disease. Enjoy the differences and give Thomas time to recover from the indignity of being cooped up in a cage for 24 hours.

He is fitting in fine...he hung out with the hens during scratch time and they are not afraid of him any more in the least....he is back out checking out the party...I really like him...except for the snood deal which really creeps me out....I told him not to get a "Snood On" while I was near him....

Teach I hope you are OK...sounds like ya had a rough day!!!
hugs.gif
Find a man to yell at...'s what I do!! Or clean out the garage!! Poor Clayton... he is such a sweetie...what could he possibly have done? With that innocent face?? You are making it up and picking on him!!
tongue.png

It is hard for me to plan on going anywhere because of Mike...he will say yes then fold up....But he is still the best hubby and bought me a roo!!! (and 2 hennies!)

Quote:
Could be a thing to try, they have Madagascar Games but I didn't want to order a lot of them.

How many did you want? I was going to order 4 pullets and a cockerel on the dark brahmas. So that's five... maybe we can find enough people for 20 more. Oh, and I believe their website says that we can have them label breed/sex, which would eliminate confusion when they came in.

My two cents:
Never purchase the number of chicks that you hope to have adults. There are so many things that kill little chicks. It is always a good idea to buy extras.

Quote:
My d'Uccles surely do!
If you go out with scraps, or call them over, you will always get a laugh! They give the impression that they must step over every blade of grass
roll.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom