*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
He appears to have a bit of a muff and with the slate grey legs, could well be an EE. Red shavers (I had to look them up because I was unfamiliar with the breed) are supposed to have redish brown eggs. Since the green egg gene is dominant, crossing an EE roo with a Red Shaver would likely hatch a hen that will lay greenish eggs, in my opinion, since if you cross an EE with a maran, you get olive eggers.

that's what i was thinking. it'll be nice to have greenish eggs. the rs hens i have lay a pinkish medium brown right now... maybe they aren't rs then... when i bought them they (atwoods) only listed 3 on stickers on the tub they were in. i also had 2 ee hens and they weren't listed on the stickers. frustrating not knowing for sure what they are. rir, jersey giants and cochin were the only ones listed. i'm thinking blacky is a jg because of her coloring and such

Atwoods gets their chicks from Ideal, so you could go to the Ideal website and see which breeds they sell, then try to guess which variety your chicks most closely resemble.

Quote:
I am a little surprised he is aggressive toward you, but not toward others. Usually, a roo that has been hand fed will bond with the person who feeds it and be agressive toward folks other than the feeder, almost like he is territorial about the person who feeds him.
idunno.gif

that's what confuses me so much. he charges everyone, but has flogged me. i haven't hit him with anything, myself. i still take feed/scratch out. i even place some in front of him. i have a broom i take with me. if he's in front of me i put it in front of me if he's behind me i drag it behind me. from the sides i just ignore to a point. he goes at the broom willingly. that's something i have just recently started doing. i needed something to keep him at a distance. seams to work.

Quote:
that's what i was thinking. it'll be nice to have greenish eggs. the rs hens i have lay a pinkish medium brown right now... maybe they aren't rs then... when i bought them they (atwoods) only listed 3 on stickers on the tub they were in. i also had 2 ee hens and they weren't listed on the stickers. frustrating not knowing for sure what they are. rir, jersey giants and cochin were the only ones listed. i'm thinking blacky is a jg because of her coloring and such

Atwoods gets their chicks from Ideal, so you could go to the Ideal website and see which breeds they sell, then try to guess which variety your chicks most closely resemble.

big_smile.png
i'll try that! hadn't thought of that really. i knew they get theirs form somewheres but had not a clue where
lol.png

Here are the pictures I promised earlier this evening. While not all the flock is shown...just a few favorites.
The Blue and Splash Wyandottes "The Girls" purchased from sjarvis00 a few weeks ago: Named them Faith, Hope, Charity and Peace. They still are "stuck like glue" to each other.
23941_the_girls_2.jpg

Here they come....
23941_the_girls_1.jpg

There they go.
23941_the_girls_3.jpg

Here is Studley Do-Right...We think he is a New Hampshire Red
23941_studley_5.jpg
23941_studley_1.jpg

Thor is a Golden EE...we think crossed with a Buff Orpington. He is a real sweetheart and crows with a wheezeeet at the end.
23941_thor_2.jpg

Megan...Queen of the Australorps
23941_megan_australorp.jpg

On a Wendy day...what does Delaware... a fluffy britches. Too bad she ducked...camera shy.
23941_delaware.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Great looking birds and well taken photos. Have you considered submitting some of them to the "Workday Chicken Pictures"? You already have the captions - "On a windy day, What does Delaware . . . fluffy britches"
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom