oklahoma city zoning - busted for my chickens!

Hey Lisaa, and any others here,
I've never been to a city council meeting before ( didn't want to get that close!) but, do you think some of us could get together and maybe get it adressed at a meeting? Sorry , im not famiiar with how it all works. Approaching diety and all ! Ha!

Hey Lisaa, and any others here,
I've never been to a city council meeting before ( didn't want to get that close!) but, do you think some of us could get together and maybe get it adressed at a meeting? Sorry , im not famiiar with how it all works. Approaching diety and all ! Ha!

I would like to do that. I just don't know how to rally like-minded people. The City's web site lists the council meeting schedules, agendas, and minutes from previous meetings. There is always time allotted at the end of the meeting for citizen input/public comment. Wouldn't it be cool to have tons of people there supporting our cause? I've even started up with Facebook again. My other issue is being not so crazy about speaking in public. I had to do it in front of the Historic Preservation Commission a time or two, and it went well, but it's still a scary prospect!

https://www.facebook.com/okcchickens?ref=ts&fref=ts
That's the page for OKC Chickens where you can see not much has happened in quite a while. I did contact Ed Shadid and his only suggestion for me was to get a group together, which is easier said than done, I think. It seems that the original group owner of the OKC chickens page kind of went inactive. I would love to get interest up again and take another stab at this, especially since there are now two new council members who have thrown out some of the "status quo" crowd.

Do you know who was behind the OKC chickens page? Did you speak to Dr. Shadid recently?

Do you know who was behind the OKC chickens page? Did you speak to Dr. Shadid recently?

I don't know the name of the person, no. The last time I spoke to Ed Shadid was last summer, July 2012. At that time he mentioned that 4 council seats were up for election. I did my part and got rid of my useless councilman. Now we need to get momentum going again.

Thanks for the info about Houston. I'll be sure to take a look at the link.

Oktx, over the past few days I've learned that the OKC Planning Commission is revising their long-range plans to include supporting more sustainability in urban and suburban settings. On the web, PlanOKC.org is the place to see what's getting accomplished. Another city office, SustainableOKC.org, works to gather info from citizens about sustainability issues/urban agriculture and communicates with PlanOKC to incorporate those elements into the overall plan. I was encouraged that things seem to ge going in the right direction. Just not sure how long it's going to take.

I emailed Dr. Shadid today mainly to say I wholeheartedly support these efforts and suggested that Ward 2 (his ward and my area of residence) would be ideal, if the city wanted to try hen-keeping on a trial basis.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about Houston. I'll be sure to take a look at the link.

Oktx, over the past few days I've learned that the OKC Planning Commission is revising their long-range plans to include supporting more sustainability in urban and suburban settings. On the web, PlanOKC.org is the place to see what's getting accomplished. Another city office, SustainableOKC.org, works to gather info from citizens about sustainability issues/urban agriculture and communicates with PlanOKC to incorporate those elements into the overall plan. I was encouraged that things seem to ge going in the right direction. Just not sure how long it's going to take.

I emailed Dr. Shadid today mainly to say I wholeheartedly support these efforts and suggested that Ward 2 (his ward and my area of residence) would be ideal, if the city wanted to try hen-keeping on a trial basis.
big_smile.png

Thanks. I am going to go to the "7 generations" discussion group this Saturday and check this out.
http://www.sustainableokc.org/ok-events/7-generations-discussion-group-2013-04-14/
I think it's high time people stopped believing that living a sustainable and healthy lifestyle is only for hippies.

Last edited:
I Live in Midwest City, OK. I have submitted a request to the city for a chicken permit. It will go to Animal Welfare and they will come out and inspect my property and pen. The information as to the size of the pen, I was originally told had to be 2000 square feet, which is ok because I have over a 3rd of an acre. Before I applied I spoke to a second person and he told me they don't care how big the pen is but that the pen had to be on 2000 square feet. I was running out of material for the pen so I made it about 50 square feet. I hope this part passes inspection. I was also told I could have as many chickens as could stand on the floore of the chicken coop. I only have a few now on a farm I was living on but I am getting more. Wish me luck on getting the permit.

I Live in Midwest City, OK. I have submitted a request to the city for a chicken permit. It will go to Animal Welfare and they will come out and inspect my property and pen. The information as to the size of the pen, I was originally told had to be 2000 square feet, which is ok because I have over a 3rd of an acre. Before I applied I spoke to a second person and he told me they don't care how big the pen is but that the pen had to be on 2000 square feet. I was running out of material for the pen so I made it about 50 square feet. I hope this part passes inspection. I was also told I could have as many chickens as could stand on the floore of the chicken coop. I only have a few now on a farm I was living on but I am getting more. Wish me luck on getting the permit.

I free range mine morning and evening so I'd have a problem with the square feet thing. Their pen is small (8' x 4' with a raised coop above it) but there are only two bantam hens in it and like I said they get to wander the yard for several hours every day.

Good luck getting your permit!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom