Okra, Best Way to freeze????

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
I went and bought horse feed and they had some Okra, so they gaveme some.
Hubby doesn't eat it so I need to freeze what I didn't bread and fry the other night for dinner.
What is the best way to freeze it, should I cut and bread it first or not?

I recommend that circular metal can outside the garage. It will definitely freeze in winter.

(can you tell I hate Okra???
sickbyc.gif
)

OKRA is a beautiful!!! You can bread and freeze it or i prefer to chop it up and brown it in a cast iron skillet with olive oil, freeze it, then use it for making GUMBO. i made a fresh pot of duck gumbo yesterday from all the wild ducks i shot last hunting season. Okra is great for GUMBO.

I have a recipe for Gumbo that is awesome, maybe I should just make another pot and forego freezing it, hubby will eat it in Gumbo but not fried.

okra is SUPER easy to freeze; you can rinse, pat it dry, and freeze it whole or cut / sliced crosswise. No blanching is necessary; just seal it into a zipper style bag after forcing most of the air out of the bag. It will keep up to a year or so *except ours never lasts that long!* Enjoy! If you like green tomatoes, you should try dicing some green tomatoes into your sliced okra, put flour or cornmeal (or some people use a mixture of both flour AND meal) in the bowl your veggies are in and stir to coat well, then turn into a hot frying pan with enough oil to let the okra & tomatoes brown. Stir occasionally until the veggies are browned and the tomatoes are tender. Salt to taste (some use black pepper too; I prefer it w/o the pepper) and enjoy!

I just wash, dry and slice it into either a glad tub or a freezer ziplock bag, we love okra tomatoes and cream style corn with cornbread.I just add some evoo in an iron skillet add chopped onion and okra until almost done, add a can of tomatoes and some fresh or frozen cream corn and cook, if ' not thick enough to suit me, I use instant potatoes or cornstarch to thicken, and just pour over cornbread. marrie
evoo-extra virgin olive oil,after looking at the price of evoo, I think Iwill go to canola oil or something cheaper,could not believe the prioe

Last edited:
Like Sundance, I just wash and let it dry. Cut up and put in gallon size ziplock freezer bags and then take out what I need to fry or we put it in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven in some olive oil and just cook it down slow. Don't add water. So yummy.

Back
Top Bottom