Old and Rare Breeds

First of all I meant to disrespect to Walt I didn't even he was involved I didn't know he was a judge I'm sure he is a good one I done some judging (mules) judging a chicken show would be harder there is so many breeds and verity's anyway my post was not about Walt. i was addressing the person that felt ridiculed. About double mating you cant blame the judge he judges by the standard. You cant blame the breeder He there to win a ribbon. I can under stand why a breeder that has his double mating in place would want it fixed now .Double Mating anyone in there right mind would agree it would be better if it had been fixed in the beginning. It will never be fixed because the people in power  have it the way they want it. If we wamt to play we have to play there way.

PS I have shown Horses, Mules,Mini Donkeys and Rabbit Dogs it is the same in everything.

I am most definitely right in mind would have to personally disagree, and prefer to have it. I've seen the birds of mixed double matings, they are not eye appealing. The people "in power" are only in power because we vote them into position. They were and are current breeders of poultry. The standards the judges and those " in power" use to judge our fowl, were put in place by current and past breeders. There are always neigh sayers when something is going to be put in place(like a standard description) but the majority will always win and that is what we will follow.

I am most definitely right in mind would have to personally disagree, and prefer to have it. I've seen the birds of mixed double matings, they are not eye appealing. The people "in power" are only in power because we vote them into position. They were and are current breeders of poultry. The standards the judges and those " in power" use to judge our fowl, were put in place by current and past breeders. There are always neigh sayers when something is going to be put in place(like a standard description) but the majority will always win and that is what we will follow.

Are you saying you prefer a Standard that demands double mating in order to get show birds of both sex, over a Standard that would make it possible to get show birds of both sex form a single matting?

The Standard doesnt demand double mating... some people just breed that way, I would guess it would be easier if you know what you are doing.
Are you saying you prefer a Standard that demands double mating in order to get show birds of both sex, over a Standard that would make it possible to get show birds of both sex form a single matting?

Chris, I stumbled across this today its a few articles on the Le Fleche I thought you might be interested in it http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/LaFleche/LaFleSPPA.html

I am very interested in this breed- and have been reading everything I can. I am a bit of a newbie in terms of breeding- but am very interested in the old/rare breeds, and hope to focus my attentions on one breed down the line. So I am doing some "window shopping" research now. In the articles that were listed- Phil Bartz mentions that modern La Fleche are prone to illness due to extreme inbreeding in the last 20 years. What are the methods to improve their hardiness in light of the small gene pool? It seems that folks have added Minorca blood- which seems to be frowned upon. If not adding different blood, then how do you improve their hardiness?

Are you sure you are right in mind? I know you personally and I'm not sure of that.

w.

Some people have a romantic fascination with scorecard judging but they fail to realize that those points were awarded by judges just as human as judges today. All the same prejudices & subjective interpretations applied. Judgeing poultry isn't like grading a math test, it is subjective, not objective. Yes, there is a Standard but it has to be interpreted by the judge & this interpretation is in part subjective. This is clearly illustrated by the two day shows that are popular in some parts of the country. If judging was purely objective the same birds would win both shows but they don't. If placemant was byy points rather than comparrison the outcome would be the same as the same judges would be awarding th points based on their subjective interpretation of the Standard.
As to point 4 it's a little insulting. Admitting the subjective nature of the judging process I believe that most judges make every effort to folow the standard. Awarding points wouldn't affect this process at all.
I surely didn't mean #4 as insulting; just my observation.

LOL. I couldn't place a Silkie even if it was the Standard made-over. Heck, I don't even think it's a real chicken.
The judges generally do better than I certainly would.

I will tell you what I don't care for:
I don't like it when the clerk for the judge has her/his own birds in the Show and being judged by said judge as that person clerks.

I apologize if I was indeed insulting.

The advantage I see with scorecards is (1) it takes more time (2) it let's the exhibitor 'experience' what the judge is seeing which is impossible with our current system (3) it is the 'judging' that is called for in the Standard.

I personally think #3 above is important. Otherwise, the wording in the Standard should be changed to reflect the current situation.

I surely didn't mean #4 as insulting; just my observation.

LOL. I couldn't place a Silkie even if it was the Standard made-over. Heck, I don't even think it's a real chicken.
The judges generally do better than I certainly would.

I will tell you what I don't care for:
I don't like it when the clerk for the judge has her/his own birds in the Show and being judged by said judge as that person clerks.

I apologize if I was indeed insulting.

I try to duck the Feather Legged Bantam class whenever possible because of trhe Silkies: I'm not sure they're chickens either.
big_smile.png

I can only speak to the shows where I'm involved in operating the show. We don't allow people to clerk classes where they have birds entered. They can clerk other classes. That said, I can't imagine a judge being influenced by the clerk to place birds according to the clerk's preferences.

ETA: Before all the Silkie breeders form a lynch mob & head this way that was a joke. I've put Silkies on Champion Row before.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom