Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
Henry,
I know you have a Faverolles thread going too (570+ pages: awesome!), but I appreciate you dropping in.

If a person wanted to try out Faverolles as a new addition to their flock where would you suggest they acquire stock?

There are some very good breeders of Faverolles on this site.

Dick Boulanger in Massachusetts has same good Salmon Faverolles Large Fowl. His email is [email protected] and his username is faverolles on this site

Cindy Rolfe in Massachusetts has good birds too she has Dicks line and Ron Patterson line. She is keesmom on this site.

Ron Patterson has some very good LF whites and salmons. [email protected]

Henry

Chris,

I figure that lots of folks aren't going to like the fact that I classified their 'heritage breeds' as Industrial Fowl, but as I see it, that is just being honest.

LOL. Only an American would think that something created in and around the year 1900 is heritage. I honestly find that to be a real hoot! No offense intended. I just think it is funny.

One of my good friends from the UK lives in a cottage that was built over 500 years ago: as do most of the folks in his small hamlet. We Americans need to learn there is a whole-wide world out there and it does not just revolve around us.

As a matter of fact, in the world of chickens, it can be argued the world revolves around South east Asia!

Quote:
Wow, yesterday someone on the Washington State thread (Where are you? Where am I?) was asking who has great Delawares...maybe go do a post and a few pics on the thread Kathyinmo!

That might have been me, I spent a good four hours on this forum yesterday.

oh yeah ? I thought it was one of us natives that was asking about them...are you just after good stock to add to your birds ?
Wynatte just sent me a PM about Delawares..maybe I still have it...
Sorry, I lost her PM, but sent her another, and if I get it I can forward it to you.

Last edited:
Quote:
The term, "heritage," is simply a word. The definition toward poultry has not been established by the, "powers that be," as of yet. I see it as an asset in gaining interest in old breeds .... what ever you or anyone else calls them ..... it has raised awareness. Isn't that what we want done, incidentally?

Most of us here on BYC are not well versed in poultry, and certainly not in their histories. You will find, however, there is an interest in learning. I believe most that start off here, on BYC, come to learn something ...... it may be a simple question, like what to feed a chicken, but it is a start. Then, interest in poultry grows. Next comes the study of the breeds. Soon, the obsession takes over. Kinda like knowledge, ya know, just can't get enough.....

Ahhh, I am rambling again, sorry.... Point is, I really believe there is a great interest. I also believe that people like you can (and are) encourage newbies. Thank you for that.

By the way, I do like the way you have categorized the breeds. Great suggestion. Maybe it will catch on....

Quote:
That might have been me, I spent a good four hours on this forum yesterday.

oh yeah ? I thought it was one of us natives that was asking about them...are you just after good stock to add to your birds ?
Wynatte just sent me a PM about Delawares..maybe I still have it...

I'm looking at meeting breeders who have birds they would consider show quality. I'm not in a position to buy any right now, I'm still learning about chickens and showing for that matter.

Kathy,

For sure the words heritage and heirloom have raised awareness and that is always good. It's just that in my chosen field of study words mean everything and with accuracy in the words utilized you have nothing. (Remember I have an earned doctorate: 13 years of education beyond High School. It kinda has a way of sticking too you after a while. lol)

Glad you liked the classification system. I'm surely open to others' suggestions. I think ultimately the breakdown should be simple, based on recognized historical dates, and based on common sense.

Quote:
I am sure they will get over it.
tongue.png

Chris

My beloved Cubalayas fall into the Industrial category too. As a matter of fact, most composite breeds do: which only makes sense too me.

I've been raising the Pyncheon bantam breed for about 15 years...I've raised different breeds in the Mille Fleur color since 1979....I love the literary history of this breed mentioned in..."Nathaniel Hawthorne's"...the "House of Seven Gables". Mr. Hawthorne suggests that the breed dates to the early 1700's... He had them around 1850. There are several breeds that do need help...preservation is everything....
69973_pyncheon_pullet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom