Old and Rare Breeds

Saladin - I have a pair, brother/sister, (one of the biggest reasons I need more pullets) the stag is a barred Wheaten, the pullet is a Wheaten. Got them from BYC user sleepy, whom I cannot recall at the moment where/who his birds came from. His main cock, father to my pair, is an import I believe, and that is all I know. I know nothing of the hen though.

In the future I would absolutely love to add Madagascar Game to my list.

saladin,
Do you have a time line of what is Ancient Breeds, Old Breeds and Modern Breeds? I know at one time you had made a suggestion about this on one other thread but I cant remember if you had a time line or not...

I do hope this thread gets some traffic all the breed that you listed are in need of some help.
We have breeds like the Royal Cochin China's that are gone for ever and we also have breeds like the Lamonas that are on there way out also.

I hope to help promote these breeds all I can..

Chris

Quote:
Wow, yesterday someone on the Washington State thread (Where are you? Where am I?) was asking who has great Delawares...maybe go do a post and a few pics on the thread Kathyinmo!

Last edited:
Quote:
Good point.
I have found my most difficult problem to be record keeping...Notes on dates of hatch, parents of, imported lines, and from whom and addresses and phone numbers of the parent stock breeders...and prospective birds I want to look into (a wish list and those addresses, etc) I am so bad about the record keeping!
It is so necessary to keep good records when working on a breeding program, or any farm of any kind...I have to force myself to sit and write theings in my log books...

Thands for this info. I just got my first chickens last spring and love them! My biggest problem is that I live in Wyoming and am finding that chicken breeding and breeds aren't a big concern in my area. Could you inclule a list of breeders that actually sell some of these breeds? Maybe someone has done this and I haven't ran across it yet.

Here are some better pictures of my son's Java cockerel. He is about 9 months old.

jan2011b016.jpg

jan2011b014.jpg

chickie in answer to your pm:

My son has raised Javas for over 10 years. His original birds came from Craig Russell stock. To this he added stock from Monte Bowen (Monte's may have also originally come from Craig too, but I'm not for certain).

This bird has the type down right!

Quote:
Wow, yesterday someone on the Washington State thread (Where are you? Where am I?) was asking who has great Delawares...maybe go do a post and a few pics on the thread Kathyinmo!

That might have been me, I spent a good four hours on this forum yesterday.

Quote:
Chris,

In the Dec 2009 Backyard Poultry I first called for a more accurate way to classify poultry other than heritage or heirloom. I believe, and still do, in both accuracy and in utilizing recognized historical time periods. I wrote:

Ancient Fowl (existing before 1600)
Modern Fowl (1600-1845)
Industrial Fowl (1845-1940)

(I used the date 1845 because that was the date of the first poultry show. This happened, as you are aware, during the Industrial Age).
Examples of the breeds classified would be:

Ancient Fowl breeds:
Asil
Old English
Dorking

Modern Fowl breeds:
Crevecoeur
Dominique
LaFleche
Sussex

Industrial Fowl:
Brahma
Cornish
Orpington
Rhode Island Reds

I did not classify breeds created after 1940.

Back
Top Bottom