Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
Hey, I'm totally with you on that .... common sense and simplicity. I think you should promote your classification system. You are sure to have a following. Whatever and however it is done .... it just needs to be done, I believe. I know the APA has a committee working on the term, "heritage." Maybe you, and others, could offer them some input on that.

OK, back to the topic ......

I guess the only really old birds I have, or am interested in, are the Sussex. I need to study up on them.

I agree with you most of these "heritage fowl" were just mixed breed farm birds brought over here by the settlers. I also sometimes wonder about calling them heritage when there are european breed and asian breeds that have existed for thousands of years. But they are American breeds and are part of american agricultural heritage so you could define them that way. They really aren't that old if you put things in a world poultry perspective instead of an American perspective.

I agree with your system of classification much more precise then heritage.

Its like the term "green" or "natural" no definition really. Especially when you look at alternative and old methods of agriculture people left and right are labeling things with sustainable and other terms that don't have a solid definition. Some eggs raised exactly the same as conventional eggs are labeled natural because there is no control over who uses the term. Its can be frustrating to market you product if you are actually using "sustainable" or "natural" methods because these terms don't mean anything. I know organic is defined but is the way its controled by the USDA right?

Well thats the end of my rants but hope you guys see how it relates to the idea of heritage poultry.

On another note I think faverolles are modern fowl. Correct me if I am wrong they were developed by French farmers as a duel purpose bird. Many were not muffed like ours but they were a composite of several breeds like Dorking and others. They today still remain a good duel purpose breed. The hens lay well all year and will hatch their own broods. The males are large enough and grow fast enough to use for meat.

Here is a good article by Peter Merlin who is a member here. Its about the Faverolles http://peterfmerlin.tripod.com/fabulous_faverolles.htm

Henry

Last edited:
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
We are not a very old country but for us RIR, buckeyes, Plymouth rocks ect. They are OUR heritage birds I really don’t care as much about other country’s breeds I care about the USA bred birds. You are doing a very good thing by keeping them alive here but how many people on here will take RIR over asils?
Every breed NEEDS good breeders you saladin obviously know how to breed your birds but I am going to breed mine differently. You seem to want to save other country’s breeds I want to save ours.
Punky

Don't want to turn this into a debate. My preference is a french bird the Faverolles and I will take them any day over the best Rock or RIR you throw at me. They just suite me better. Does that make me unpatriotic they are also one of the rarest breeds around both in the US and in there home territory of Europe. There are less then 500 (ball park) LF salmons here and almost none in other varieties. Of the ones that are here few meet the standard! I think with the mixtures of birds in this country there need to be another work other then just Heritage like American Heritage or American class breeds.

Quote:
We are not a very old country but for us RIR, buckeyes, Plymouth rocks ect. They are OUR heritage birds I really don’t care as much about other country’s breeds I care about the USA bred birds. You are doing a very good thing by keeping them alive here but how many people on here will take RIR over asils?
Every breed NEEDS good breeders you saladin obviously know how to breed your birds but I am going to breed mine differently. You seem to want to save other country’s breeds I want to save ours.
Punky

Lol Punk you are hilarious.

You just don't get it do you?????????? Obviously, you don't because you just keep ranting on and on about the same ole thing.

You want to argue know doubt. This time you'll not get it from me.

It's time for you to grow up and learn that all of us are in this together.

I need to apologize to all of the rest of you on this thread and site.

I really want us to discuss our birds and learn together, but this kid is really getting on my nerves.

It should be ok for us to disagree on this thread. As a matter of fact, I demand that it's ok. lol.

As long as we can disagree without being disagreable. (Is that how you spell that word? Always was a horrible speller. Thank the Lord for spell check!!!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom